Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Depends on how confident they are in the O and Defensive game plans. Wind could be a factor as well.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well, I think the running game can out-muscle their defense, but it seems that the run machine needs to be "warmed up" before it starts rolling......

Rain has been mentioned........ bring on EL NINO! :beer:

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets were built to "win in January" meaning in cold weather with a strong running game, strong D, and taking time of possession, controlling the ball.

That is not at all what SD hopes to do on their end. Weather will not be a factor at all. SD actually had less than 30 minutes TOP on average - they don't need time to score. Still, the Jets will have to try and control the clock, and hope the D can contain SD when they do get it.

This in turn means the first quarter can't be one where SD has their way and gets out to a two score lead. A team like GB can get themselves back into a game like that. I don't feel so confident the Jets can.

Rivers's ability to deal with the blitz is also troubling. I doubt Ryan will forego the blitz, but maybe like against Cincy he will try and change it up by even going to zone at times, perhaps confusing SD.

SD also doesn't turn it over much. +8 in turnovers.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

fixed it for ya....

5. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

things that need to happen IMO

keep the running game the same, start it off with jones chewing em down and wearin em out, then switch to greene and just have a feel for it from there out

Someone on the team, one of the players nees to go upto edwards and explain to him that were playing for something special and that he could be a HUGE dagger for us , how many times has sanchez thrown a great deep ball to edwards, hits him in the hands etc. im not saying bad mouth him but just hint to him that we need him to show up this game and just come down with it...i know fantasy world...

get T Rich involved in some passes to the flat/dump plays, they may not be expecting it we havent really used it that much this year

Keep the same Run/Pass Ratio as we have been doing for past weeks, dont get all excited schotty and start outcoaching yourself and this team, stick with what works...

start with Jericho returning punts like normal, but if it seems like were pushing them around on ST and opening some good lanes, maybe toss Brad Smith back there for 1 or 2

as far as defense goes, this defense speaks for itself, its more just a matter of whos healthy, harris showed he was good to go already lowery shouldnt be anything to worry about, if we could have strickland in this game, that would be great.

#105 Chrebet86, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

It is refreshing to have opposing team's fans come on this board and intelligently discuss the upcoming game, without nonsensical chest-puffing. If you don't watch Revis every week, you cannot understand just how amazing he is. I've been watching football for 40 years and have never seen a CB play like this. You will get next to nothing from whatever receiver he covers. Best not to even try.

The reality of this game is that SD is a better team, and I'm looking for a Jets SB run next season. Having said that, the Jets could win this game, but will have to play a perfect game. And not last-week perfect, but really perfect (no dropped TD passes, no penalties taking points off the board, etc).

7. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I live in SD and I see alot of the Chargers play they are a scary team once they get their air attack going. I am also scared of sproles and what he can do. What I did notice is that if the defense can play and they stick to the basics and discipline it should be a close game. Because if you look at most of the the games the Chargers played this season against teams with decent defenses like the ravens and the steelers they lost those games and against other teams that play semidecent defenses they were one by 3 to 7 points. If we can keep it that close we should be good.

8. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

I'll say this about us SD fans Gesh - we're also experienced... as a collective group, we're so thirsty for a Championship, its sick. But our hubris has been tempered with a few seasons of disappointment. I think intelligent Bolt fans realize we should win before talking s**t. As a fan base, we're the proverbial Charlie Brown trying to kick the ball Lucy's holding. But we want it bad...

After starting the season 2-3, I completely removed my feelings of expectations and told myself to enjoy the ride and appreciate the development of some new guys we're going to have to depend on to win consistently. After our dismal start this year, I'm shocked at the success. The difference is so night and day, its still hard to fathom. I'm trying to think if we have more than 2 starters on defense who's played in every game without having to miss time because of injury?

Here are my two keys to the game: Can the Jets force field goals in the Red Zone? Do that and this game is winnable for the away guys.

The Jets have to do the same thing against the Chargers that you did against the Bengals: have Sanchez make those critical throws to extend drives. You can pound the rock, but I believe the Chargers run D is going to surprise you guys.

The rook will have to find a way to move the ball like he did on Saturday. He may have to do that while looking at a deficit on the scoreboard. We'll see how he deals with that kind of pressure... one thing for sure, coming to CA doesn't mean Sanchez is coming home!

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Never heard of that Randy Moss guy?

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I doubt the SD coaching staff is unaware that in addition to Moss that no one Revis covered had a good game against him all season long.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I referred to moss because of the physical similarities.

12. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

or that owens guy or that andre johnson guy

#112 Chrebet86, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

First, it's obvious the Chargers are not going to run too much. If they do, it'll be off draws and misdirection plays rather than the traditional pounding the ball.

Second, given this, the Jets will play nickel most of the game. Revis will be locked in on VJ, Harris/Scott on Sproles/LT and Rhodes/Smith on Gates. The biggest threat, IMO is their screen game. Out of the blitz, this is the toughest to defend, especially if it goes against the overload.

Third, the Jets must limit the number of possessions for the Chargers. That means grinding it out and take 2 minutes off for every first down. Shorten the game and play at a slower pace than they're used to.

14. B1nary Bolt Fan

If the Jets line up in a nickel formation on every play, the Chargers will run the ball. As a team, they want to pound the rock too and realize they can't pass on every down. With each passing week, they ran the ball with more purpose and success.

Remember... LT is fresh by design. I'm very interested to see what happens with him on Sunday.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

To be quite honest.....Sproles is more of a threat than Tomlinson, IMO. He's a mirror image of Leon Washington. As Jets fans, we know what kind of damage a player in the mold of Leon/Sproles can do.

Welker lit up our defense with the bubble screen.....Sproles is just as capable.

16. B1nary Bolt Fan

Lots of Charger fans would agree with you. But Sproles has been inconsistent running the ball up the gut. If we can get him ball on the edge, he's dangerous.

I love Sproles, but he's not our best tailback unless he's used in perfectly designed situations.

17. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

did Sdbolts fan really say Vincent Jackson is better or just as good as Andre Johnson or Randy moss? lol...GTFOH

and lol @ scoring 34 points on us. glad some stats were posted to back up the ridiculousness of that statement

jesus...some unbiased and good input from the other SD fans on this thread but this guy is a clown.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The Jets were gashed by the screen pass when they played the Pats in Foxboro.....if the Chargers want to solve this defense....screen passes to Sproles would be a good start.

Of course, I don't want to see it happen.....but if I was gameplanning against Rex, I'd be going through the Jets/Pats game film with a fine-toothed comb.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Moss is an entirely different receiver. He doesn't like to get physical, whereas VJax was one of the most physical receivers in the league this year. I'm not going to say I love the matchup, but I do think Revis shuts him down. It's just going to be his toughest matchup this year. Jackson doesn't have the overall skill of a lot of receivers that Revis has faced this season, but he'll bump with him a lot more. It's going to be tougher to control him at the line of scrimmage, and it's definitely a cause for concern.

Having said that, I think Floyd and Gates have a MUCH bigger impact on the game.

As far as the Chargers fans who are suggesting that the Bolts have improved their run defense significantly (12th over the last few weeks, I believe they said?), we've played 3 teams (5 games) with run defenses in the Top 13.

#7 Cincy (x2)
    #11 Houston
    #13 New England (x2)

Our totals in those games? 839 yds 8 TDs

In other words, an average of 167.8 yds and 1.6 TDs against the BEST run defenses we've faced. Do you really think you'll shut us down?

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

great post.

but i disagree with the bolded statement. I still say Andre Johnson was his toughest matchup of the year....by a country mile. And Revis passed with flying colors.

VJack will be tough...but certainly not his toughest assignment.