Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

GreenHornet & poeman, fyi, the guy who (twice) blew the playoff game against the Steelers in Pittsburgh was Doug Brien, not "O'Brien"

The only "O'B" who played for the Jets was QB Ken O'Brien.

2. jaybny

jaybny Banned

experience loosing to AFC east!

Jan. 20, 2008 AFC Championship New England 21, San Diego 12

Jan. 14, 2007 - AFC Divisional - New England 24, San Diego 21

Jan. 8, 2005 - AFC Wild Card - NY Jets 20, San Diego 17

:breakdance::breakdance:

#82 jaybny, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. 624

624 Banned

There's no denying Gates is a beast, he is by far my biggest concern in the game.

Rex will have our run D corrected, Vincent Jackson will be erased. Lowery and Lito have played much better against big WRs then the crafty route runners or burners. We only have had trouble with power runners, home run hitters and all around ones like Sproles and LT we have shut down.

Gates is our biggest challenge, IMO.

4. 624

624 Banned

notice how those both were away games? :breakdance:

5. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

We know how that goes in SD with Rivers. So many opposing teams have the misperception that he is a huge trash talker. Little do most know that he actually never uses curse words and is polar opposite from what most think. I think the media has a lot to do with it as well.

Most over there on the SD board are caught up in the excitement of this season and rip anything that can be torn apart for the opposing teams. That's why I come to "reality" land when I can on opposing team's boards to get good perspective and for the most part honest debate.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's going to be an interesting game that probably is functionally going to go over by half time. Either the Chargers will have established they can score on the Jets effectively by then in which case they win, or they won't in which case they lose.

7. jaybny

jaybny Banned

jets won in SD

8. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

I don't know if you've watched the Chargers before this year (or even during this year) but if we are good at one thing, it's winning games from behind. This year has been an exception compared to years past because we are normally having to come back in the 2nd half to win the game after a slow start.

9. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

Yes they did, and Kaeding hasn't forgotten I'm sure. We both know that one could have gone the other way just as easily.

As for the Pat's game...had we just took a knee after we picked Brady we would have won that game. Instead we fumbled trying to be a hero.

Yes....I know....shoulda, woulda, coulda but you have to admit those were not blowouts by any means.

"Any Given Sunday" as they say. We've matured as a team quite a bit since then...

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Pats had experience too.....we'll be glad once you join them in experiencing an early exit ...

11. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I love everything about this match-up for the Jets EXCEPT for the Gates factor. That could be the killer.

12. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

First - let me say that I respect the Jets game, their coach and what they've done to earn the trip to SD. You're going, so you can win. 50% sounds like good odds!

But it should be noted that the Chargers did start the season with a disastrous run of injuries on both sides of the line. Defensively, we ranked last against the run after 4 weeks. Our GM was picking up scrubs at mid-season. How the hell did we crawl all the way back up to 14th? ...in December we had the 4th best run defense...

During our recent win streak, we went from losing the TOP battle to being able to run the ball and average of 10 carries more per game than before. In other words, our run game and run defense is underrated. I think LT has been playing to avoid injury since he showed up lame the previous two post-seasons. He's ready...

Ron Rivera and Norv Turner has done an impressive job of coaching this year. Do you guys know that the Chargers have played 64 different guys in games this year? This team has some depth and resolve. Its useless to question their toughness - they've been playing injured all season long but know how to win.

Somebody finally has to say it.... Norv was already named Coach of the Year by the USA Today panel and has to be considered by all others... He's not the whipping boy y'all want him to be and has taught his team to ignore the high's and lows in favor of preparation. He's a master at running his offense and he has the highest rated passer over the last two seasons running his offense.

Rivers has gotten so good with his preparation that the Cowboys were commenting after the game that Rivers was calling their defensive shifts before they did. They were shell shocked by his recognition of their game.

I've not watched Revis till the final few weeks of the season. He IS impressive and probably the top CB in the game. But as others have noted, he can only cover one guy at a time. Rivers doesn't fixate on Jackson and has really spread the ball around well. I expect to read stats at the end of the game that show that 9 different guys caught passes.

We Charger fans have to respect the Jets run game and defense. In conventional wisdom, that combo makes you the logical choice to win it all. Good luck Jet fans. Should be exciting and, of course, I like the home team in this one.

Go Chargers!

#92 B1nary Bolt Fan, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Good post, B1nary. Neither side should be expecting anything less than a tough, hard-fought game.

14. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Chargers are 9 point favorites... and the Colts are only 6 point favorites against the Ravens... Thats pretty shitty.....

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Anyone watch the Cardinals and Greenbay? Rivers is playing at the level that Warner and Rodgers were playing at. We haven't seen anything close to that this year with the exception of NO and that was a none confrence game where very little tape was available.

We are going to have to play a perfect game. Special teams contain on kickoffs, make every field goal, no fumbles, run the ball effectively which means first downs, third and shorts not the occassional 20 yard Thomas Jones run and a lot of third and 6 third and 5 situations.

You blitz Rivers and don't get there your dead meat. They are going to score points. The key is Rivers is going to throw up 5 or 6 outright jump balls. We need to win a couple of them early to put some doubt in his head and keep them off the board.

It's not easy to win a ball control, field position game on the road against a QB playing at Rivers level. On the road long TOP drives need to end in points. Bad things happen on long drives in the NFL. We are going to need turnovers and great special teams play to win.

Were also going to need to be a little less aggresive blitzing and do a bit more covering than we normally do. They can run the quick screens and bust them. They have personal that can make you pay for over pursuit.

We have a shot but this is a huge step up in competition. We may have to rely on a rookie QB throwing the ball 25 to 30 times to win.

16. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

My thoughts on the game are pretty simple at the moment. Sanchez is basically going home to play, meaning the weather and he should get along well. I am expecting a good performance out of him. With the defense the way its been, give them good weather, and I am also expecting good performance.

The key is going to be shutting down Rivers. We got lucky with Palmer. A lot of his passes were sailing..almost Peyton in the snow-esque. In socal, the passes won't sail. So..Revis will either need to pick more, or the line is gonna have to step up the sacks and bat-downs.

Pressure on the line should translate to slowing the running game.

So, on paper, this should be an easy win.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

9 pts????? Double down on that Cincy $$$$$

18. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

The line is down to 7.5 points (BetUS)

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We only need to be 1 player better than we were in week 4.

I think we are well beyond that point right now.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Rex has had the tendency to "defer" the kickoff if they win the coin toss this season (rightfully so, as the defense has been the more dominant unit)

Do you think they'd take the ball 1st this game...... "ground-n-pound" down the field to try and keep Rivers and co on the bench, to try and prevent the JETS from playing from behind, and forcing Sanchez to press?

:shit::jets: