Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

J-E-T-S will come to play. And we will give you the best we got. And we think that will be more than you can handle.

2. 624

624 Banned

Just like in the NBA, wingspan is much more important then head to toe "height".

I'd say Jackson will get a few shorter catches, probably some 3-4 catch 20-40 yard sort of day. With the NFL favoring the passing game it's almost impossible to hold a receiver of his caliber to 0 catches.

3. 624

624 Banned

[​IMG]

4. Out for the Season

Out for the Season New Member

I believe that in this game the scoring will be lower, Rex is a defensive genius and he didn't like what Cedric Benson did to us, so the defense will be under much more pressure than the previous game. Rex is all defense and if they can get even a first down you have to think that he's gotta be pissed off in some way.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

norv turner.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

SD is very good guys- very good. They are a much better team than Cincinnati, so dont get too giddy and talk too much smackola.

However, I do question their toughness. One thing about our Jets that sticks out and that I love is that they go in and smack people around. SD is fast, talented, and rolling on all cylinders right now but maybe if they get punched in the mouth early on they will not be able to recover?

The Jets Offense might have a bigger role in this game than their defense. If the Jets can run, run, run, and keep Rivers off the field that might screw up their timing and would really help the defense. (which despite being super awesome- they are facing a super awesome offense)

One thing I am worried about is the Chargers success with screen passes. Our defense has been burned with those because of the blitzing, so I hope Rex can figure it all out or we could see some big plays from Sproles- ouch.

On CBS this morning Boomer said that the Jets should want to play the Chargers because they havent seen the Jets' blitzes and that could catch them by suprise - he also mentioned a weak run D in SD. I sure hope Boomer is right because SD looks really scary.

I think if we can score first or at least come out really strong we have a great chance. If they get a lead early the Jets are in serious trouble IMO

7. SanchezToEdwards

That's one reason we have to hope Donald Strickland is able to play. He is good at blowing up screen/slant plays.

8. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

True, VJ has 32 on the wingspan. Not too shabby (I don't know that Revis has VJ beat on that compared to his 5'11" frame?). Then you can look at Crabtree on the 49ers with a whopping 34 1/4 on a 6'1" body...those are American Airline freak arms right there. I think Moss has somthing like 33 inches.

The other factor is the vertical. VJ @ 39" and Revis @ 38" - pretty even there.

Only VJ can prove a different result over the others I guess. Given the depth of our receiving talent VJ never goes for an extraordinary amount of yards but he does come up with big plays and outstanding (almost impossible) catches. A lot of VJ's success can be attributed to the accuracy of Rivers' long ball. Rivers just seems to put it where only our guys can go and get it.

This will be fun to watch...it will be a showdown for sure.

9. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Totally true. Jackson makes some unreal plays, Rivers makes some unreal throws, and obviously Charger fans are hoping they will give Revis his first bad game of the season.

Realistically, I'm not getting my hopes up because I know how good he is (Yes I admire the guy far too much for someone who doesn't root for the team he is on).

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think if we can get some big runs early in the game and go up by 2 possesions we can really put this Chargers team out of it. They are unfamiliar playing games from BEHIND. Also if we do go up by like 10-14 points then the whole "thought" of choking similar to many "great" teams of the past sets into your mindset. And once when that happens you DONT recover.

11. 624

624 Banned

Yeah, I love playing teams with a big time WR, I always look forward to the match up and I haven't been dissapointed yet. (neither has Revis)

12. 624

624 Banned

damn marblex! someone on your board, named LIGHTS OUT "Revis = Illegal Contact"

I love how one game with 2 bad calls on Revis can change someone's whole perception on him. Revis has been penalized like 4 times all season and 3 were totally bullshit call. (Green goggles off, they were BS calls)

Poster named jyoti

"I predict the score to be 28-3 in favor of the Chargers.

Jets are a 7-9 team. This game won't be close."

#72 624, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Lmao, ignore him! He wants to make himself feel better because he is worried what he will do to Jackson, who we very much love. To be honest, I can't blame him. When I read those posts, I start to think positively, but at the end of the day, facts are facts, and the facts are that Revis will shut down, or at the very least limit Jackson. Thats something us SD fans don't like to see. Thats why people will say anything to make themselves believe otherwise.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Like someone else already mentioned, talent wise it's no contest; SD has the edge. However, the more you look at the match-up, the more this talent gap gets narrowed.

Chargers Offense vs. Jets Defense
    1. I don't believe the Chargers will have much success running against us. Partly because of our defense and partly because they have not shown the commitment needed to have that kind of success.

2. Revis will neutralize VJ. I'd say 3-5 receptions for under 40 yards for SD fans who needs that quantified. The only TD Revis allowed all year was against Moss on a route that wasn't even a route. Brady surprised Revis with a pass to Moss who had meandered his way in the end zone.

2. I like Rhodes on Gates. I felt he did an excellent job on Gonzalez when they were matched up one on one.

3. Floyd will also be neutralized by the Revis effect. Fo non-Jets fans, the Revis effect is that the #2 WR gets coverage rolled his way forcing the QB to throw the ball into Revis Island.

4. Sproles presents the biggest match-up problem for the Jets. He simply can not be covered by a LB or safety IMO. If we go nickel to have an extra CB to cover, that will make us susceptible to draw plays. SD is such vertical offense, I pray that Rivers is not patient enough to use this dangerous safety valve and choses to go for those routes that take a lot of time to develop. This would play right into our hands.

Jets offense vs. Chargers defense
    1. Plain and simple run, run, run. Force them to over commit and take our occasional shot against zero coverage. Hopefully Braylon Edwards can hold on to the ball when that happens. He can't drop them all:(

15. 624

624 Banned

I wonder if Nate Kaeding is forced to win this game with a last second kick......will he shit his pants?

16. jaybny

jaybny Banned

OK - lets put some cash in escrow and make a bet. any amount of $.

I bet Vjax will have < 50 yds against revis and < 5 receptions against revis.

deal?

17. SanchezToEdwards

Thing is Gates is ALOT more athletic then Gonzalez..

18. Kychargerfan

Kychargerfan New Member

Charger fan here...I think the Jets match up well against the Chargers..They run the ball and have a stout D...Ithink it will be a close game but IMHO I think the Chargers experience will carry them in this one

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This will be a very tough game for us to win since the Chargers are better than Cincy in every level except run defense. If we stick to the gameplan then we may be able to eek out a victory.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Good perspective from a rival fan.