Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

So here it is. Chargers fans, Jets fans...feel free to discuss your thoughts in the upcoming game. You guys know the rules, this isn't a "no-holds-barred" match.

First things first. Chargers fans, forget about Vincent Jackson, its just not happening. :lol:

I would focus on these points.

1) How will the Jets contain Antonio Gates.

2) How stout the Jets D-line is, because if they get burned by the running like they did against the Bengals, Rivers will make them pay. If they dont, the Jets will begin to blitz, and blitz often. If they can stop the run, they may force them into alot of 3rd and long situations...just watch out for Darren Sproles on the screen passes.

3) Can Mark Sanchez build off his solid performance last week in the sunny SoCal? Will he be able to limit his turnovers?

I personally think the Jets will double team Gates all day with Rhodes or Leonard/Scott or Harris. I trust Rex Ryan on the defensive side, because he has done nothing this year to make us feel otherwise. I am concerned about our offense, hopefully we have more tricks in the bag to keep us moving forward in the AFC Championship.

2. 624

624 Banned

I read somewhere that Rivers is a top QB against the blitz, so he should have a field day versus our blitz happy D. But that is also what they said about Drew Brees, the best at passing against the blitz. Brees had probably his worst game of the season against us.

I'm real worried about Floyd on Lito/Lowery, he is a very big receiver, and I feel like he will draw some penalties.

We need to keep this team out of the red zone, LT is average between the 20s but still elite in the red zone, and with 3 big receiving targets and a RB with a nose for the end zone...it could be bad.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

prevent the screens

put rivers in 3rd and long by consistently holding the LOS

get LT to cry about a leg cramp so he can sit out the rest of the game

4. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

We need to stop Gates. Hitman needs to get healthy and 100% this week. Also Kerry Rhodes needs to practice this week by going to a halloween horror house, and have Bart Scott slap in across the mouth in the locker room for atleast 20minutes a day.

Kerry needs to play with his body on the line.. none of this scared to hit or be hit bullshit.

5. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

worried about gates, hopefully harris will be closer to 100% than he was last week we need him to help cover gates big time.

edit: did see your post up there ^ lol

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've said this before.
    The JETS blitz not only to get to the QB but to Occupy the RB's & TE's and not allow them out into patterns.

We may not get to Rivers but our blitz will have to keep these guys in to block.

also, put a DB on Gates..you guys naming Harris or Scott for coverage..
    THEY DON'T COVER GATES!
    Use Smith, Strickland Lowery

7. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

This is what I say to the Chargers.......

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKAcVL_phI[/YOUTUBE]

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The secondary will have to come up big.....the Chargers WR corps could probably play in the NBA with an average height of 6'5...plus they are fast.

I'm not worried about V-Jack, because Revis will lock him down.....but if Lowery is still banged up and we have to put Drew "fucking" Coleman on Floyd/Nanee/Osgood.....we'll be in trouble.

9. 624

624 Banned

I'm really looking forward to see Rex and Pettine's gameplan for this game, the Chargers have some very freakish athletes that present very difficult match ups.

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I'm already extremely pumped for this game.

11. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

What do you know? My quote button showed up....must have to have 10 posts for that luxury!

QB: I think Sanchez has a lot of heart and determination. You can see his drive to win because he wears it on his shoulder (Much like Rivers who gets a lot of crap for getting fired up) What Sanchez lacks is experience in the NFL. Yes, he has a playoff win under his belt now, however, PR now has several years experience deep into the playoffs with this receiving squad and they are in sync with every route they run right now. (It's almost scary what they've been pulling off with the passing game)

Run Game: Pissing match...we don't really have much of one but we seem to be opening up some holes now that we have Hardwick back at center so you never know when Sproles will bust one loose. You guys can run the ball but will you utilize it? I don't know. We've done a better job lately at stopping the run (I.E. vs. the Titans) but you never know what will happen with our D lately.

Back to your points:

1) Teams have tried to double team Gates but we find a way to utilize another weapon (Floyd, VJax, Sproles/LT out of the backfield) You can't double team everyone and that's where it comes down to experience at the QB position to make a good quick decision.

2) Your D-Line has to get to Rivers quick to have any success in forcing a bad decision. Our run game is scarce...we utilize the screen with more danger than our run as of late.

3) Kind of touched on this above. Cromartie hasn't been anything special this year on turnovers like he was in years past. We do have some talent though in the secondary with Weddle, Jammer (even Siler got an interception recently). Revis...I don't need to say anything there...he's flat out good.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

We will have to beat the hell out of them.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I'm pretty confident in this game...I think SD is prime to get the shit kicked outta them.

We just gotta have energy. We just played Back to Back games in 10 degree weather and now will make a cross country trip and play in some heat.

14. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

SD is freakishly talented yet I think we match up quite well. If we take care of all the obvious stuff - Sanchez keeps playing like a champ, ground game eats up clock, Revis is Revis, third and longs - we have a very real chance to win. The KEY is going to be our energy and fire. If we sustain the attitude with which we have been playing in recent weeks then look out.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Good post.

I thought I told you guys to forget about Jackson. The sooner you realize he will be a non-factor, the better off you will be. Single coverage is all Jackson will see.

16. 624

624 Banned

I may be wrong but off the top of my head I thought Rivers only has one playoff win as well. (Titans last year)

17. 624

624 Banned

I'd just give it up, opposing teams fans don't understand Revis until their team has faced him. Although it took the Bengal fans two games.

18. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

We need jon McGraw to shaddow gates

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Chargers are working on their 3rd NT of the year after Jamal Williams got lost for the season week 1. Teams can run on them fairly easily at this point, assuming that the high-flying Chargers offense has not taken that off the table.

The key to the game for the Jets, the one thing that will outright win or lose for them is the pressure they put on Philip Rivers. If they force him into a mediocre day then they can control the game clock and keep the thing relatively low-scoring and win.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

They probably still don't believe it. You don't luck your way into the best statistical season at the CB position. Its really crazy how good he is.