17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

True and good points....but Jerry Jones built his palace at the same time, in a large metropolitan city, with the same material costs......and he got a roof -- and all for $1.2 BB.

If Mara, Tisch, and Woody willingly paid hundreds of millions for overinflated labor costs, they screwed themselves.

It's ridiculous that we don't have a roof.

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Bet it doesn't have waterless urinals. Or cup holders on each seat.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Having a roof would defeat the purpose of being a north eastern team.

We aren't built to be a dome team and the Giants aren't either. Sure it would've been great for the fans, but I don't mind as long as we use the home field advantage.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm every hear the term illegal alien? In NY/NJ the constructions unions will never allow you to use them. That is how JJones got his palace built so cheaply. Texas is loaded with them & our government does nothing to stop the flow.

5. championjets69

I felt the same way U did UNTIL I went to game 1 in Houston this year & it was pouring rain & the humidity was 99% & the temp was near 100. Watching the game in air conditioned comfort sure beat watching it with the "elements" pouring rain down on you & 100 degree temp & 99% humidity

Just do what the USMC does adapt, overcome & improvise to dome play.

6. JetsKickAss

Retractable roof would have given us Super Bowl within 5 years for sure and you could have the option of closing it up on bad days. Light rain or snow, keep it open....monsoon or blizzard, close it up.

Or we can at least choose if it opens or closes. Like the Dolphins made with their decision to muddy up the Orange Bowl for the 1983 Champsionship Game.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I can see more purpose for domes in the south, like Texas and New Orleans, because that is dangerously brutal weather. But cold football games are what it's all about. I'm glad the new place won't have a roof. It would be just like us to finally assemble an ass-kicking cold weather team and then move into a dome. Minnesota used to have the best home field advantage in football, that's a main reason they went to four Super Bowls when they had a good team, because you had to go play in Minnesota outdoors. Same for Green Bay, Buffalo and New England. Why give that up?

8. championjets69

I guess U never heard of the USMC motto of adapt, overcome & improvise. Also outside of heat & humidity & rain the SW does not get "brutal" weather as U seem to think. Today's lo was in the 30s & hi will be in the mid 50s

9. Italian Seafood

Heat and humidity to me is more brutal than cold, it's a mater of opinion--"brutal" is a subjective term. I sat at the game Sunday night and can say I was much more uncomfortable at some home openers when I sit there and roast like a duck. You get big, huge football players wearing tons of gear, I think the heat is more dangerous. Never heard of a football player dropping dead in the cold, just the heat.

10. championjets69

Been to many a game @ Giant Stadium in Sept & Oct where the temp was 90 degree & the humidity was 99%. Last I looked most of the teams TCs are in the heat & humidity so I am sure all teams know how to handle it. Sorry that I disagree with ur view but the #1 city in the USA should have the #1 stadium in the USA not Dallas TX

11. Section341

Section341 New Member

I agree with u Champ69. Instead of putting in a Dome for the masses, they put in a mini exclusive dome (Club Seats) for those who are willing to pay. That's face it, the high cost of the new place is not just due to labor cost. They spent it disproportionally on the Club and suites. If they divert some of that money for a Dome, we would all get to enjoy.

12. Italian Seafood

Again, I don't want a dome because it kills your home field advantage. Look at how Buffalo and New England were so unbeatable at home in the playoffs when they had good teams, that's what you want. Especially with a D and running team like we are now.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

understood. i ask because i really dont know. i only know what i hear and i know there are guys on here who are much more informed when it comes to union labor.

to the poster above me i think it was 314... i would have to say that is at least partially true they definitely spent a shit ton on stuff 90% of the people who visit the stadium will never see. its a shame but thats the way it is.

i have a question about the layout as well. i know someone posted that there were new rules about overhangs on stadiums. i dont remember if it was mentioned but what was the first stadium to fall under that? i was looking at the chicago stadium and wondered why it looked how it does. it appears they got around the issue of sending everyone 100 yards back from the field with their design that doesnt appear to have blocked view seats.

ahh disregard its only 61,500 seats and appears to be built into at least part of the old stadium. very interesting building though... and i would imagine for 1.5 billion the same amount to build the tallest building in the world they could have come up with something.

14. joejets1

joejets1 Member

That wouldn't of worked the NFL tells each team with a retractable roof based on the weather report on the Friday before the game decides wether it is open or closed. So even if it did exist Jets cant pick and choose unlike baseball

15. bowleggedwonder

When my rep called me the other day, he did talk repeatedly about access to the Club Level to get out of the elements. So to the point made by Section 341, they basically said screw the masses, just keep all the fat cats happy.

But that angle doesn't work for me. Why would I spend a fortune to have great seats, only to abondon them and watch the game on TV in a lounge area? How much better would it be if the place was domed and I didn't need to go in the club area? Ah, I believe I have answered my own question. Without the dome, you force the need for the club areas. And while they're there, you can charge them $10/beer and $15/nachos, etc., etc.

Well, as this forum has pointed out, all of us will be able to get to games next year at reasonable costs as supply/demand is in our favor.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i didnt realize that! i am going to sit here and probably be wrong but i have to imagine this is something that happened on goodells watch.

guess they have to protect their product. watch in the next 5 years they will make everyone have field turf so that everything is equal. and claim its for the players safety.

17. Section341

Section341 New Member

Agree. Supply/demand is definitely in our favor. It's just a shame that they have to tear down a perfectly fine place (with arguably better sight lines). Just plain wasteful IMO. This is not Shea stadium.

18. JetsKickAss

Sure they can....NFL says close it, they leave it open and say "whoops, we forgot."

Hey, worked for Shula, right ???? LOL

19. joejets1

joejets1 Member

It worked in a way for the Pats and Beliceck after the Jets upset the Pats in 06 in foxboro during a rainstorm and the field was pretty muddy. That next week the pats installed Field Turf so that wouldn't happen again. Although they planned on doing it in the off season it was pretty bush league to make the move midseason.

20. Giants4Ever

Giants4Ever New Member

You guys clamoring for a roof are clowns.....go root for a sissy dome team where you can drink your Mike's Hard lemonaide in the shade while munching on sushi.....when the Giants are hosting the Vikings in an NFC Championship game I don't want my team being mandated to close the roof because of elements....its not football