Another game and no Ghost ... Can we say official bust now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

VG will have a TD in week 17 vs Cinci.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Yes. I was actually impressed with it. Stepped up, wrapped up the ball carrier, and drove him to the ground. It looked like someone has finally taught him how to play in this game, at least in spot duty. I keep flip-flopping on this issue put plays like this in spot duty make me think he might be able to be of some use to some team. If he can agree to a pay cut(not going to happen) or if the Jets can cut him and resign him for a MUCH cheaper contract, I would not mind him seeing him on the roster next season. If we have to keep his current deal, though, I say give him the boot.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I saw the tackle. A very nice one, and solo. Like he actually read the play and knew what to do.

I had given up on him when he completely disappeared a few weeks ago. I wonder though, if Ryan has found a way to teach him. Obviously, right now, he's still a bust. However, if Ryan can get his full potential out of him, who knows?

If you're really honest with yourself, Rex has been getting blood from stones this year. He seems to have "fixed" Rhodes. He's getting Lowery to play better every week. He has the DLine playing very well minus Jenkins. Bryan Thomas has quietly had a nice year. Eric Smith has been night and day from Mangini's time with him.

In an uncapped year, there's no reason Gholston shouldn't be in camp. And if Rex can finally coax football talent out of his raw physical talent, we could have ourselves a good football player. Which is really all any of his "supporters" ever said in the first place.

As long as a guy is wearing green I'm going to hold out hope he's successful.

4. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

That's at least one good thing that'll come from an uncapped year, Ghost'll be the hell out of here.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

This really is the truth about Rex. How many of our guys were written off by us as garbage who we never wanted to see again and suddenly Rex has them playing like they could be starters for other teams in the league!

Here is a list just off the top of my head

Eric Smith (already mentioned above)

Drew Coleman (seriously? how this guy was god awful, and now he is much more serviceable)

James Ihedigbo (moved from pure ST to spot duty and is developing as a blitzer!)

Rhodes (was slowly falling off the map and whatever Rex has done has me believing in him again!)

Sione Pouha (the guy has been utter trash for us, and last year was useless in relief of Jenkins, now he is being mentioned by some sources as a "just missed" for the pro-bowl, it was in another thread on TGG.com forget the source)

Mike Devito (He was solid last year down the stretch, but Rex has just developed him further into a guy who commands attention along the DL in relief of Ellis/Douglas and I have no doubts he will be integral to our DL rotation for the next couple of years)

David Harris (you can argue natural talent vs. Rex but you can't deny the man is having a phenomenal season, which is leaps and bounds over last years season with Mangini)

Dwight Lowery (I personally thought the guy played fantastic for a 4th round rookie last year, starting across from a top 3 cb in the game in Revis Christ, but the board crucifies him, and now they prefer him playing to Lito Sheppard.)

Jim Leonhard (yeah I know he played with Rex a year ago, but you know what I ask anyone on this board to prove this guy is anything but an over-acheiver for his size/speed/stature or whatever else you can think of. Rex is getting the most out of this man there is no doubts)

Plus there are many more. To me it's obvious Rex is going to get the most out of his players and their is nothing you can say to prove to me otherwise.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Good post. Regardless of whether a player looks like a bust or not, if he's on the field in a Jets uniform, there's never a reason to want to see a guy fail.

I don't hold out much hope for the Ghost becoming a great player at this point, but if he suddenly turns on the switch and starts to produce, I'll be rooting for him as much as any other player on the roster. :jets:

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That tackle looked like it was made by a football player. I was pretty surprised to see it was Gholston. If there were another 70 or 80 plays made like that this season, he might not be reviled as a disappointment.

#67 abyzmul, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Great post, and I think you forgot one of the most noticeable.
    Shaun Ellis is quietly having one of his best seasons, He is the real reason why we haven't missed Jenkins as much as we thought we would.

#68 Section 336, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  9. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Well, to be fair his list was about players that we might have considered garbage or past their prime that Rex has resurrected. I don't think anyone would consider Ellis as having been garbage...he's been pretty solid since he's been here. But he definitely is having a great year this year.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

His list did include David Harris and Jim Leonhard, two names that I never really ever heard anyone think of as garbage.

However, I do not agree with them but many have discounted Ellis for many seasons now calling him trash (and over the hill), simply because of his decline in sacks from his early years. But his role has changed, and this year in particular he has been very good at disrupting the line of scrimmage against the run.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree. If next year is uncapped then you might as well keep Gholston on the team. No reason to jettison him unless there is literally no roster spot available. You've already payed a bulk of his salary already with the huge signing bonus. If there is no cap then there is really no harm (except Woody's money) in keeping him around. If he comes in motivated he can only be upside potential. Of course, if he comes in totally unprepared then Rex could get rid of him.

However, if there is a cap then getting rid of his is very problematic (because of the dead money). Therefore, either way I don't see a better alternative than to keep him at least one more year.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

fatten him up and make him a situational down lineman. Doesn't have the motor or instincts to be a LB

13. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Maybe if he's playing Madden...

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Absolutely. He has to do that a LOT more before anyone can say he's done anything at all.

One thing I was really impressed with was how he stood over the guy for a second, just looking down at him like "Yeah. What." That's exactly the kind of attitude everyone has been looking for from him.

Rex isn't afraid to demote guys to teach them a lesson. As Rhodes has shown, it's effective when done correctly. I really hope it works with Gholston as well.

15. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

People can "officially" call him whatever they like. The fact remains that his contract and potential both dictate that he'll be on this team for at least another two years.

The light could come on at any time. Or it may not come on at all, who knows. But it's not like this guy is an athletic failure, it's not like he's getting run off the field. He just doesn't yet seem to give a damn. I probably wouldn't either if somebody had given me 60 mil (or whatever he got) before I'd even graduated college.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Brian Bosworth?

17. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I dont know about much bigger.

Outside of a QB - can you remember another top 6 pick in the last 10 season who has done less?

I can't. I think QB busts are in a class by themselves. Even Gaines Adams who has not lived up to the hype is at least playing.

Shit even Carles Rogers had a few TD grabs.

I can say with full conviction - outside of QB's Gholston is the biggest top ten bust in the last decade.

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I had a great idea today. Seeing as how we all know that Gholston is completely worthless, let's at least get some entertainment value out of him. The next time a game is completely out of hand (like the 4th quarter of last night's game against the Bengals), they should put Gholston out there and, once the ball is snapped, he should just stand in the middle of the field doing Michael Jackson moves until the play is whistled dead.

19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'm not sure Gholston could be demoted any lower.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I don't believe in no ghost.