Another game and no Ghost ... Can we say official bust now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 20, 2009.

1. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

How bout saying Gholston BLOWS? Simple succint,

I think this really is the best way to describe Gholston

In the words of Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore

"THIS GUY SUCKS"

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

The question is now "Is he the biggest bust in the history of the Jets?". Right now, the answer is YES. He is a #6 pick that can't even get on the field! I can't remember one that bad and my memory is pretty good. I think the closest is #4 over all Chris Ward in 78. That is saying something, worst pick in 30 years for the Jets.

#42 Johnny4, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's the least productive 1st round pick we have had for more than a decade at this point in his 'career', but if you are going to the most a team gives up and the guy fails to perform, we gave up a combination of 2 of the following players in order to get DRob - Dallas Clark, Troy Polamalu, Nnamdi Asomugha and Ty Warren.

There were other good players available as well, but not as striking as those 4. The middle round of that5 draft was filled with Pro Bowl talent, and we had to picks in the middel of it. If that doesn't signify him to be the biggest bust, then it is at least the worst personnel move.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

What I want to know is how could he become such a HUGE bust, or was he always a bust? So is our scouting system seriously floured?

5. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

D-Rob came to mind, but he had a season when he played next to Ferguson when he looked really good. His knees couldn't hold up and I think the Jets knew he had a knee issue when they drafted him. I think Teddy Cottrell really pushed for him at the time.I remember him dancing in the war room. He was garbage in 3-4. I know that trade was terrible, but he at least had production. Gholston would have been cut already if it wasn't for dead cap money.

6. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Not completely true ? I did see Gholston yesterday. Right after Edwards scored that touchdown and walked back to the bench ? Gholston got up and hi-fived him.

7. gustoonarmy

But he missed

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Our scouting sytem got many great players for us and many voices say they weren't high AT ALL on Gholston... My guess is no talent really stood out so Mangini really pushed for a guy he thought was going to become a superstar... kind of backfired...

9. gustoonarmy

True, more hits than misses, but I remember quite a few 'informed' folks here that were flagging up Ghostlikes talent

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

D-Rob came to mind, but he had a season when he played next to Ferguson when he looked really good. His knees couldn't hold up and I think the Jets knew he had a knee issue when they drafted him. I think Teddy Cottrell really pushed for him at the time.I remember him dancing in the war room. He was garbage in 3-4. I know that trade was terrible, but he at least had production. Gholston would have been cut already if it wasn't for dead cap money.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

No cap next year.:wink:

12. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

umm not really, he wasn't drafted high enough in the nfl to be a colossal bust, baseball, yes pretty big bust, but not in the nfl........honestly i'm not even mad about the ghost pick because of the other picks the mangini era brought us, hitman, revis, dbrick(who imo is an all pro this year)mangold,kerry, keller and chansi (good value pick) not too shabby, 2busts in all that i can live with ( the other being kellen clemens)

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jabba the Hutt thinks Vernon Gholston is lazy.

14. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Sorry for the repost.Blackberry error. My guess for the Gholston pick is this. They tried to trade down but couldn't, the player they liked was McElvin(who I pushed for) but felt they would have had to pay him too much at corner for a #6 pick. They had such a desperate pass rush need, they took the gamble and lost. (What made this dumber to me at the time was they just gave Pace a big contract to play the same position, was he meant to replace Bryan Thomas?) I wonder if he would have been a little better at DE in a 4-3. I watched a bunch of tape on him, pre draft and didn't like what I saw. Even with that, I never thought he would be this bad. I loved his speed and he runs now like he has on hipwaders.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Anyone see him make a tackle yesterday in the redzone?

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say Gholston is a bust. He's done so fuckin little in his two seasons, it's mind boggling. Hopefully they can cut him during the uncapped year or whatever, not sure how that situation works.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He made a nice tackle on a short pass by Manning yesterday. Obviously he is expected to do more then that though.

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Im happy this thread wasnt made last week because I was still on the fence.

19. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

After DRob and Gholston, I don't think we should even bother sending any scouts to the combines. Picking players with great workouts is looking about as profitable as sending money to a Nigerian email.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

That along with the 2 blackouts in a week,
    I think the Blackberrys are a fukin bust !
    :lol: