Does anyone else think the Revis Christ thing is a little much?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Has anyone ever considered that the bible could possibly be the biggest piece of fiction ever written, put together to have people do the right things in life and written by people like Mathew, Mark, Luke and John as sort of a guide or template or set of well-thought-out, fabricated rules (like the 10 commandments) by which people could co-exist and live as happily with one another as possible? That this piece of work included incredulous, fictional tales of the parting of the seas, walking on water and the resurrection and so on? That these guys were religious leaders and did believe in creation by something or someone somewhere, and wrote this "visionary" (i.e., imaginary) stuff to have people live by a set of "Golden Rules," like "do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"

I mean, stuff like that is common sense, surely, but some people need to be reminded of that. Now, of course, if you want to assign some sort of divine intervention in the writing of this work, then you could say, if you're a devout believer, that "God" or someone had a hand in helping create this masterful document taht we call the bible.

And this could have taken place simultaneously all over the world, in different variations, which would explain the different "religions." It's possible that world religions have evolved from fables and stories like this as "rules" by which we should all live.

I'm not a religious person... haven't been for a very long time, but sometimes, when I look at my wonderful little grandchildren or wonders in nature and things that aren't easily explained, sometimes I do feel like there is "something" out there. Can't put my finger on it, but maybe there has been some guiding hand in all this. But I refuse to believe that our "God" is the only one or that Christianity is the only religion one can have or that everyone else is going to fucking hell in a handbasket because they don't believe in Christ.

Now Revis Christ, that's another story. if you don't believe in Him, then you CAN go to hell in a handbasket, and that includes Tom Brady.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

The bolded part is where religion steers people wrong. Perfect.

3. MiamiJet420

MiamiJet420 New Member

Was a Catholic for 26 years. Atheist for the past 4.

4. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Definitely not Catholic. I'm Catholic and I'd say we're on the shit list of most hard-core non-denominational Christian churches (and we're damn near Satan himself to many Souther Baptists) BECAUSE we don't read/study the bible as 100% word-for-word set in stone fact. I never understood that mentality though, as the the path to the english-bible went through so many translations, how _could_ you take it literally in every sense?

From the point the guy you're responding to was making, I'd venture to guess that he's either non-denom fundi Christian, OR an atheist/agnostic who uses this point to argue to other Christians that they are hypocrites if they use SOME parts of the bible literally to chastise others, but not other parts of bible.

Blah: in the time it took me to write this, he answered.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Eh, I didn't mean it like that. I meant in terms of "if you believe according to the principles of Christianity correctly."

To be clear, I'm not arguing in favor of Christianity on this topic. Nor am I arguing against the Revis Christ moniker. I'm a Christian, but that's my own business. I'm also a fan of the Revis Christ Superstar moniker. Like I said, it bugged me a little bit at first, but it wasn't very hard to get over.

Plus, Manish Mehta mentioned Revis Christ in a tweet the other day. This phenomenon has spread beyond the borders of TGG. That makes it a religion in its own right!

6. ........

........ Trolls

Great post. The Gospels weren't even "written" by MML and J, either. They were culled by a group 100 years later to codify the foundations of the church.

If only the teachings WERE more common sense, we likely wouldn't have the problems we do today. Man is fallible, though. Even those of us who know how we SHOULD live don't always do so.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Well, there's your problem. You should try reading the Bible for yourself instead of belonging to a denomination that emphasizes ritual and interpretation by the clergy as the keys to salvation.

8. brothermoose

I know, it just came out so...perfect...and leads me to point out that there is just as much disagreement withing the religion as there is between the religions. There is no absolute correct within or between.

Praise be.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Priests nailing innocent alter boys does tend to do that. And how the Roman Catholic Church could simply move those offenders around to other parrishes to "solve" the problem, only to have it reoccur elsewhere, was unconscionable.

It amazes me how the Catholic Church withstood that period of time, even while trying to cover it up. Their attendance never skipped much of a beat, except for guys like my bro-in-law, who was a devout Catholic until the shit hit the fan with that stuff, so he moved to GA and became a holy rolling Southern Baptist instead.

I don't know, I still think it's all about what we do in life and how we treat others. Some of the most religious people I've ever known turned out to be real assholes, and others with no religion at all are the kindest, most considerate people I know. I do know that organized religion is not for me... at all. I practice my own form of relgion by trying to do the right thing... don't need anybody telling me how the fuck I should act or what I should say or believe in.

10. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand Catholicism.

And I'm sure you can point to examples of people who DO believe that "rituals" and "interpretation by the clergy" will lead them to salvation, and I'll say that THEY missed the point as well. Just like there are Catholics that literally treat Mary as as deity and they are wrong too, but unfortunately people grab on to these examples and paint the entirety of Catholicism as heretics for it.

All this aside, I would recommend that the mods move this into the bullshit forum, and not because the topic is "bullshit", but this was never a football-related topic, and it now appears to be turning into a more general religious topic

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Absolutely. :up:
    ----------------------------

FTR: The number of Catholics is decreasing at an alarming* rate.

* Not alarming to me, but to the Catholic Church itself. The whole "touching people" thing really hurt the overall RC Church.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

so i guess you think the moon and tides were responsible for that red sea thing......:)

jil

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Honestly, I'm surprised this thread is even still open. While politics stretches the bounds of allowable behavior here, from what I understand, Petrozza has a strict "no religion" rule. Which is a good thing, as this thread obviously shows.

Politics, while a firey topic, doesn't hit as deeply as religion.

14. brothermoose

Mistranslation. It was the Reed Sea, a much smaller tidal swamp in northern Egypt.

15. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

lets not turn this into a fucking religion debate. darrelleujah.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Something happened with the Red Sea?

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Baseless blasphemy, Iggy.

Now say four Our Father's, two Hail Mary's, do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself around.

Where I think the Bible went wrong isn't the fact that it was altered by future authors (hence God's decree that thou shalt not wear garments of two different animals, foreskin rules, etc.) but that it STOPPED being altered by future authors. If it were a self-correcting document like The Constitution instead of the divine word of God, we'd have some more relevant moral advice, and the educated clergy would actually have important work to do.

18. Gator

Gator Active Member

Why is it a problem that he doesn't believe what you believe? I see no problem.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Now if you can assure me that somebody can come along and turn the water in my Brita filter into red wine, I'm all ears. Hell, I might even wind up going back to church on Sundays, before the games, that is. LOL:lol:

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Wasn't this thread originally about whether or not saying Revis Christ is appropriate? Heck man, this is ridiculous!

Who thinks that arguing with someone about your belief is going to make them begin or stop believing in or following Christianity? Seriously.

#260 Jtuds, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.