Say Schottenheimer gets a Head Coaching job...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KBJET, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Vision,

I have no idea of what your definition of good job is, but MS is the 5th worse QB in the NFL and 2 of the guy's that are worse than him are benched, KC and JR, the Jets are 30th in the NFL in passing, if you consider that A game performance than I would hate too see your B game.

The post by Abyzmul hit the nail on the head, Rex reigned in BS and his "pass first to open up the run" philosophy. If that were not the case, BS would still have MS throwing 30+ times a game and the kid would probably set the NFL record for INT's in a season. :jets:

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This off-season, Rex and Shotty need to sit down and talk about what works for this offense and what doesn't, they need to sit and talk about situational and when to go for a certain play and when NOT to go for a certain play, other then that Shotty has been calling great games the past couple games, I wouldn't let Shotty go at all, he needs us just as much as we need him (for Sanchez's development) he's not going to get a HC job anytime soon and he needs to realize that

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Freeman,

Sanchez is a rookie, what did you expect from a 22 year old kid with 16 games of college experience. 12 of his 17 INTs are in 3 games, yes those were terrible games. In the other 9 he has had 5 INTs and has played well enough to win in all of them. Sanchez is having a good year for a rookie QB.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

the numbers don't tell the whole story. schotty's situational play calling is awful. we run the ball until we get around the 15 yard line and then he gets the brilliant idea that the spread formation will get us into the endzone. if schotty didn't try to do anything fancy we would have at least the buffalo game as a win and probably another win or two as well.

i am torn a bit on schotty because i think if sanchez develops like he should he would be able to run the offense schotty wants. your remark about paul hackett is correct only for this year IMO. with a rookie qb the gameplans we saw from hackett would be ideal, obviously as sanchez grows we want someone who will open up the playbook and let the system grow around sanchez. what schotty is doing is forcing sanchez to grow into the system instead of growing the system with sanchez' development.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The perennial question teams looking for a new HC in the NFL face is whether to prefer someone with prior HC experience or not. The con on that of course is typically that if the candidate was a great HC, he wouldn't be available, since most such candidates were more or less fired from their previous jobs. That's why guys like Cowher, who went out on their own terms, seem so attractive.

So the argument goes if former HC's who were fired are damaged goods, the next level of candidates is current OC's or DC's from successful organizations. Showing success is key there - why hire a current OC or DC from a team that is mediocre?

The Jets O is mostly about a great running attack and a so so passing attack. Credit for the running game is shared, I think, by most around the league by Schotty and Callahan. But imo not enough to conclude Schotty is a great candidate for HC based on his most recent accomplishments as OC. In short, I don't see him going anywhere, at least not this year.

And I think he comes back unless the Jets can replace him with someone better. Right now I don't know of any such candidates, assuming Gruden would not want to be the Jets' OC. Heh.

I think that pretty much covers it.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Against Buffalo, Thomas Jones had an average of 9.55 yds/att. Sanchez threw the ball 29 times that game. Jones averaged 4.90 against New England, and Schottenheimer's gameplan had Sanchez throwing 21 times. During the second game against Miami, Jones rushed for 3.78 yds/att and Schottenheimer had Sanchez throwing 35 times.

Take into account the in-game, situational play calling as well, and you have one very clear picture of why the Jets are 7-6 instead of on top of the division. The problem is not Sanchez it is Schottenheimer misusing one of the assets of this team. You do not put this much pressure on a Rookie QB and expect to succeed.

As for Brees and Rivers, Schottenheimer was coaching them purely as a QBs coach, not as an OC. Those are two completely different jobs. If Schottenheimer was giving Sanchez the attention he gave Brees and Rivers then he should be fired as an OC for neglecting a major portion of his job.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Schotty's play calling this year looks like the product of a very impatient man who is working with less than a perfect situation for the 4th year in a row and decided to force it regardless of the consequences.

2006 - rookies on the line, no runningback
    2007 - decrepit line, Chad gave up on his system
    2008 - Favre in during TC no time to learn the system so it hybridized and Favre called the shots
    2009 - Rookie QB and weak depth at WR - WTF, just going to go for it and see what happens

The Jets should have let Ryan hire his own OC. We'd have gone to the playoffs.

8. CatoTheElder

They did. Ryan asked Schottenheimer to come back. He even had to convince/beg him to do it after Schottenheimer threw a shit-fit and hid out from the team when he didn't get the head coaching job.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Then it's on Tannwnbaum, he should have forced a move on by splitting with Schotty. There's no evidence at this point that Schotty can get anything like the best out of a QB - handing him a rookie QB was asking for trouble.

10. CatoTheElder

Not disagreeing with your latter point here, but the post I responded to ridiculed the FO/ownership for not allowing Ryan to pick his own staff and now you are saying that the FO/ownership should have tied Ryan's hands in who he could pick for next season. It has to be one or the other, not both.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So, Tanny should have overruled Ryan? I don't t hink so.

And getting the best out of a Qb sounds nice, but who do you have in mind to do better?

Before you say Callahan, go read up on his post SB season, and how he got along with his Qb.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

These are irrefutable truths if some one cannot see this then it's just a matter of difference of opinion.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Hackett should be brought back as QB Coach...
    Hopefully he's on his way out at Oakland, as the scapegoat for Jalardass.

He would be the perfect mentor to Sanchez, and could help B.S. tweak his
    offense just a little bit by learning to work the flats.

14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

perhaps leon, but leon's been pissed at him for not playing him over the years. hopefully he coaches the bills or chicken gets fired and coaches the pats.