Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

C'mon Alio. You serious? So you'd rather have Braylon Edwards than Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Marques Colston, or maybe even an Antonio Gates on the Jets?

C'mon man.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'd say yes to a lot of those, we have to give this guy and Mark time.

2-3 years from now I predict many of you will be singing a different song.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that it is OK for them to drop the ball but not Edwards?

The problem with looking at drop is that you have to consider the number of passes theyve had thrown to them and look at the ratio of attempts to drop for it to be relevant. This is where Braylon has been bad in the past. Hes had a ratio similar to RBs rather than WRs.

If I had the entire list I could figure out the ratio again.

4. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Fair enough. I'll leave it at this. I hope he goes back to his '07 glory days with the Jets. He may not match it but if he does or comes close, he will hold a special place in my heart and I'll eat my words abt him (not that I said anything really bad abt him except the amount of money he's worth). I will hold off on criticizing him until the off-season so I can make a fair assessment on his play for the remainder of the season.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Not at all WSW. You know stats don't tell the whole story. But everyone knows some of the guys on that list aren't known league-wide for dropping as much passes as Edwards. Even while playing in stashed away team like Cleveland it was known. You'd know exactly the kind of response you'd get if you were to go to any of their respective teams and ask them for a straight-up trade with this stat sheet. They'd laugh at you.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I found a list in the washington post but Braylon doesn't even make the top 25 in the AFC this year. He also isn't in the top 50 in receptions so it's hard to even guess.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Braylon isn't catching passes.

But guess what...the running game got a hell of a lot better when he started playing because the defenses have to mind him.

So basically in lieu of catching TD passes Braylon is opening the middle of the field up for the running game.

With Sanchez having his spouts of color blindness, and turning the ball over in the air, lack of a passing game isn't the worst thing in the world right now.

#247 GQMartin, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Why don't we just get Chrebet in to coach him?:up:

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

This is completion percentage for each receiver:

Edwards is still at the bottom. I still believe he is a vital piece of the team.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

whats the big fuckin problem. everyone who gives sanchez a rookie pass blames all of Sanchez bad throws on whoever he targets. (keller being the biggest victim)

Edwards has had like 2 inexcusable drops. that aside most problems have been Sanchez eyefucking him.

also, its no coincidence how weve had a stranglehold as a top 5 rushing team since Edwards got here. before the trade everyone was pissing themselves worried about "where did the rushing attack go"

give them time, they need real chemistry.

11. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

You wanna fight?

12. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

I'm not blaming Sanchez for Edwards' inexcusable drops, but there have been many instances this year (most prevalently between Keller and Sanchez, for whatever reason), that Sanchez has thrown it either too short, too high, too far to the left, or too far to the right. Can this be attributed to rookie inconsistency??

I hope that by next year, we won't be seeing that with Sanchez anymore. Hopefully we'll be seeing Sancho get Keller perfectly with the pass everytime he looks to Keller and sees Keller to be open.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding the completion percentage numbers, Sanchez is only completing a bit over 52% of his passes to all his receivers. Edwards is not the only one having a low percentage.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It'll get better over time, and he's not on any top lists because the training wheels are still on Sanchez.

Once they let him do more Braylon's numbers will obviously go up too-

I still can't believe this argument is going on, and on and on-

We need him, end of story.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I didn't say that, but everyone uses these drops as evidence that he's useless.

Do you think we'd have gotten any of the players you named for guys like Ratliff? C'mon man.

In fairness to you though, you're not dogging Edwards. You're just making a case for his salary, which is a different story. The big thing is, we're not replacing him with anything. If you bring in a rookie to replace him, you never know what's going to happen. If you want to bring in a more talented vet, you'll have to pay significantly more. Even in an uncapped year, there's only so much Woody is going to pay out, especially given the lack of seat sales debacle.

We have bigger needs than WR if we can get Braylon to come back, even at a higher price than some believe he's worth.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There have been plenty of off-target throws for Sanchez, and I think you can attribute part of it due to his lack of familiarity in a true pro offense, his lack of timing with his receivers on most plays, and confusing looks from the defense causing him to adjust his throw from the way it is designed.

Of course, it could be that he will be shaky like that for his career. I'm betting that he doesn't, I think he will end up improving hs touch and getting a lot of this stuff down to an instinctive level.

My man concern for Mark Sanchez lies in his knees.

17. Gator

Gator Active Member

Sanchez looks like he loads up too much on the 10-15 yard throws because he's scared of throwing picks. That affects his accuracy. He does throw a nice deep ball. He's gotta calm down on those mid-range throws. Every one doesn't have to be a million miles an hour.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I think he has lost some confidence on his intermediate passes.

There was one play against Jacksonville where it was a designed dumpoff in the middle to TJ and Sanchez threw the ball as hard as he could. I don't even think that TJ saw it coming.

His long ball has touch, however, regardless of the number of long picks he has thrown this year.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Sanchez throws a very nice deep ball, it's hard to teach something like that. His other mistakes in the intermediate game seem like they're correctable with the proper coaching and, most importantly, experience

20. Gator

Gator Active Member

Maybe we can bring Chad in to help him devel...........nah.