Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He's restricted, so we will definitely sign him, especially with the uncapped year.

We would've signed either way though.

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

It's not even about having a Plan B. My argument is simple enough. The way Edwards is playing does not warrant Top 10, #1-WR money per year. If he takes less...way less, sure, keep him. If he takes a back-loaded contract with lots of incentives, great, I'm all for it. If he doesn't want either and wants to get 8-10M per and won't budge, we may have to start looking at our options. This is all dependent on how much he thinks he's worth and whether he wants to earn his money out there on the field.

Otherwise, trade him for picks and scout FA for WR's. I'd hate for a mediocre WR who had a great season in Cleveland some 2-3 years ago to hold our FO and cap ransom for years just because he's a fast, and tall.

3. Gator

Gator Active Member

Looks to me like Sanchez is just starting to click with Braylon. Last Sunday was their 8th game together.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

If it's uncapped why should we care what he's paid?

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

We must've had some shitty receivers in the past then. I can understand the Jets haven't really had tall receivers in the past, but really? You've come to that conclusion in only 8 games?

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Maybe this is where I'm lost here. If it's an un-capped year, apparently it doesn't matter. So, we sign Edwards to a 6-year 60M contract. Say...the league and owners work a deal out in about 2 years (2012 season). What happens to that contract? Is it still honored? Are we stuck with it? Can it get re-worked to match the new cap?

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but we would definitely know if we want to pay him like that by then.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

The problem isn't the clicking. I'm sure they're developing little signs and habits that let each other know where they're going with the ball and how Edwards is going to cut/stretch his route. The problem is him making the damn catch once the ball is in the air. I remember Edwards dropped a ball on a 5yd slant/in, Sanchez began forcing the ball to Cotchery in the next few series. That kinda shit can get in the head of a QB. If you're not going to catch the ball, he's not going to throw it to u. Plain and simple. Shit like that can ruin a game, because once he starts forcing it to the sure-handed WR, the higher the chances become of it getting picked.

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

We'll slap the RFA tag on him and I think we'll find out after next season if we want to keep him. I'm just afraid the FO will fall in love with his speed and size and overlook the easy dropped balls like most are doing here.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

If those dropped balls are the price we have to pay for opening up the running game and other receivers in the offense, I don't think it's too bad. He still makes his fair share of plays and I really think his height and ability to get the highly thrown ball is a great match for Sanchez. He throws high a lot.

Now if we can solidify the trenches in the year or 2 that we're evaluating Edwards and a can't miss big receiver is available in the draft, maybe we can ditch him.

Like I said before, I was extremely critical of Edwards before because of his drops. It was short sighted of my to overlook all the other things he brings to the offense though.

11. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

He does run block well and he makes a number of plays that make ESPN's highlight reel. So he has some really good qualities that he brings to the table. But a true #1 receiver's first and best quality is his ability to catch the ball. I shouldn't have to say a small prayer under my breath when the ball is thrown his way.

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

But he dropped the ball last game....his most noticable drop as a Jet, because it was a national game, he was wide open, and it would have been a 90 yard TD. Not only did Sanchez NOT stop throwing it to him, he hit him 4 times on the next two or three drives, including the TD that won the game. You seem to post on this subject in a vacuum, where your views on the subject take precedent over what actually is happening out there.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

His run blocking isn't the only thing or even the biggest thing he brings to the running game. We aren't seeing a box with 12 guys in it anymore.

I agree, we shouldn't have to hold our breath whenever the ball is heading his way, but he brings a lot to this offense. You're focusing on his shortcoming and not looking at all the good things he does for this offense.

14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I just got a DWare deja vu. So because we won the game, we shouldn't worry or talk about Edwards drops? We shouldn't discuss Sanchez' over-throw or the way he slides?

Okay, I think I got it. As long as we win, we shouldn't discuss anything that looks subpar, average or wrong with with the team. I'll hold off all my concerns until after the season is over. Oh man, I can't wait to discuss Week 13 in the middle of Feb.

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

Where did I say any of that? You made a point that when a receiver drops a ball the QB stops looking for him. I responded by saying that Edwards had a really bad drop and not only did Sanchez NOT stop throwing it to him, but that BE made a fantastic TD that won the game. I thought my response pretty much addressed your previous post.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I agree with that. Our running game has vastly improved since he's got here. I just wish he was the complete package. Am I wrong for wanting an all-around WR? I don't think so. When he's notoriously known for dropping passes around the league, all his drops get magnified and I'm guilty of doing that. But I do see the things he brings to the table. I guess for me, it's just hard to appreciate a good 40yd run to his side, or because they aren't stacking the box, and then seeing him drop a drive-ending 3yd slant right to his hands.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If it's not about Plan B, then you are not talking about choosing from among alternatives. We ALWAYS have to consider whether there are better alternatives. Suggesting you do not care about whether there are better options suggests to me why your argument is so completely unpersuasive.

"Otherwise, trade him for picks and scout FA for WR's."

I already addressed this point. Perhaps you did not read it. the FO JUST FINISHED SCOUTING THE LEAGUE FOR WIDEOUTS. This past off season, and into the current season. And Edwards was who they got. There was no one better available. It's not like they chose him from among oodles of alternatives, some of whom in hindsight were clearly better options.

Were you not paying attention? How can you be so cavalier about suggesting they try the same thing they did last off season? If it weren't, as I also said, for the particulars of his situation in Cleveland, the FO couldn't have gotten him, either. So why should we think the FO would do better in an FA search this coming off season than last one?

The logic of doing so was always shakey, in fact, since why would another team want to let go a quality proven wideout? One reason I can think of is if they want too much money, but that would apply where they went. Another would be the situation Edwards had in Cleveland. Which is what made him available.

Your talk of trading him for picks is also a non starter. If he's as bad as you think he is, what picks would the team get? If in fact as I think he is he is NOT as bad as you paint him, why trade him for a question mark?

Stuckey and Clowney got a lot of love here in the off season. The truth is neither scare anyone. Meanwhile Edwards draws double coverage, and while not a flawless receiver is far from the mediocre one you describe him as. Mediocre receivers do not draw double coverage and open up the running game.

I have read all your comments on Edwards. I don't think they are persuasive.

There is no superior, available alternative to signing him. He stays.

18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

A QB doesn't completely stop looking at that WR. But it's widely known that QB's tend to shy away from receivers dropping a # of passes in a game, but not completely. So I fully expected Sanchez to go back to Edwards and his TD YAC was awesome. I'm glad he made that play, but...he should've finished the game with 2 TD's under his belt and the game completely out of reach in the 4th.

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Then I guess we're just looking for different things in a WR. I have no Plan B for Edwards for right now since I believe he'll be back next year anyway, so even if we were to discuss FA/Draft plans, it would have to wait until the 2011 season and who knows what WR's might come out from college then or what WR's might hit the market. As of right now, my 1 and only argument has been he's not worth Top 10 WR money.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Would someone mind finding Braylon Edwards on this list for me?