Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Try catching a 40 yard rainbow under the lights.....running full speed, over the shoulder, and get back to me.

If Beltran makes that play, it's a GREAT catch....In the sunshine, minus the bright overheads.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And...go back and watch the games...in HD/Slo-mo...He's in the game blocking downfield on run plays...

3. YSUDomino

YSUDomino New Member

For the record...

What i said on the Braylon trade thread the day of.

You were warned... :)

4. jetsandtheunder

I didn't read the whole thread but he's good for this team. Tanny will work out a fair contract for him and you fuckers that hate better not be happy when he scores next year.

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

please tell me youre not serious right now

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Looks like a fairly accurate summation of where we are right now.

7. IvanPSI

IvanPSI New Member

Excuses, excuses..I did it on my college team...im sure a PRO can. What about that two point conversion he dropped a couple weeks back? What are you gonna blame that on? bad strand of diarrhea he had?

8. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

You're really going to blame that 2pt conversion on him? He didn't drop it, the defender put a helmet on the ball while he was in a mid-air. Last time I checked almost everytime theres a helmet hitting the ball its a fumble.

Braylon was wideopen on that play as soon as the ball was snapped, Sanchez took forever to get to him and when he did he delivered a touchpass instead of a bullet.

The dropped td in the bills game I got nothing to defend him with, you gotta make that catch lol. Seemed like he was too worried about scoring a td instead of making the catch since he refused to break his stride.

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

He takes care of the ball when he catches it and he makes good downfield blocks. These are not the attributes you just described. He does, however, have a problem with catching the ball. That fact is hard to argue.

I know you pay attention, but you seem to have a built in bias in this case. The second part of my previous post was a general comment, not directed towards you specifically. I have taken it upon myself to do some analysis to bring some more facts to the table, hopefully without bias.

Top 50 Receivers
    Receiver-Team-Targets-Receptions-Percentage
    The numbers preceding the names of the players are total fantasy points. This is actually a very good measure of each receiver's relative efficacy as it takes into account both yards gained, and touchdowns scored. Braylon falls at #45 in %-age and #46 in efficacy. This is obviously unacceptable from an elite receiver asking for over $10 mil per season.

One thing to take into account, however, is the common thread between the top 10 guys and the bottom 10 guys. The top receivers have QBs with names like Brady, Brees, Warner, Roethlisberger, and Manning. The bottom guys have QBs with names like Edwards, Collins/Young, Johnson/Freeman, Boller/Bulger, Stafford/Culpepper, and who knows what's wrong with Delhomme. The point being that the lowest percentages are just as much a function of the QB as the receiver. Platoon and rookie QBs (and Delhomme) have the lowest completion %ages on average.

I'd like to see Braylon step it up into at least the top 30 before I'll call him a vital piece of the team. I like what I've seen so far. He does show hustle, and his presence on the field is readily apparent. He is worth at least 6 Mil as is, but for the 8-11 range, he needs to show better hands.

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE2DCS1PnwU

C'mon Stop making excuses for this guy. If he really lost it in the lights like he said he did he wouldn't even put up his hands for a catch. He would of just lost the ball completely.. As a professional football player and you being that wide open there is no excuses thats a catch and a touchdown. Now we got lucky that the pass didnt come back to haunt us.

[​IMG]

Get use to this face ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#150 tanknyc, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

BE had some miscues. But he also did some positive things. We won. Lets not go crazy w/the negativity.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

How dare you be reasonable? :mad:

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Edwards has shown flashes of elite talent but it's peppered with big-time mistakes. I think he will need to develop some chemistry with Sanchez before the end of the season if he wants to get a new contract. FA going into an uncapped year could get pretty interesting.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I tend to like more than I don't about Edwards. He needs to spend more time working with this team. It's not like he's working with a vet Qb, either.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's playing for a contract and still kind of plays soft. His blocking has improved, but he's more of a finesse circus-catch type of player than an all-around physical receiver.

Not that this is a bad thing, I just don't want them selling the farm for a guy that can only provide you so much as an all-around receiver.

Here is the overall of the contract that the Patriots signed Randy Moss to in 2008:

Obviously, contract sizes get bigger each year with the cap, but I'm not sure you can give Edwards anything close to what Moss got in years and money even from 2008.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

How about we resign him and then if he sucks we can start another massive "Tanny sucks, fire his ass" debate.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think of Edwards as having Al Toon's physical presence and grace with McCariens hands. At least he's making circus drops.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I was one of the biggest Edwards haters before we got him and people were bringing up trade rumors. His hands over the last 3 years have been about as good as running backs (not receivers) in terms of drops/attempt. I did not want to have to watch this guy drop critical balls for the Jets and scream about it.

Now we're actually seeing it happen, but I do believe my opinion was short sighted. The fact that he always demands double coverage really has opened up the running game compared to what it was earlier in the season. It also opens up coverage for other guys. He can make some spectacular catches, and seems to be very adept to catching a highly thrown ball which Sanchez tends to throw a lot.

This guy is a very valuable player in our offense regardless of the fact that he tends to drop balls. I'll take the dropped balls for all the other things he brings to the table.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

Quote of the Day. " At least he's making Circus drops"

I love it.

20. Gator

Gator Active Member

Let's remember how many TD's we scored on Thursday. One...and it was Edwards that scored it on a beautiful play that showed his size, his strength and his toughness. That probably won the game for the Jets. Even in a crappy year he gets into the end zone. When he gets settled in and has a whole training camp with Sanchez he can get 15 TDs next year easy. I say keep him.