Braylon needs to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets1135, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

YOU need to go!

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The only way I don't want Edwards back is if he asks for like 8/9 million per season. Which I think he will.

Marshall will get that, and Braylon should get about 5-6 million, to me at least.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

...shopping for more gifts for the o-line that gives Sanchez all the time in the world.

4. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

At this point, the Jets front office can put together a pretty good lowlight reel to make the argument that, no, Braylon Edwards does not deserve to be among the highest paid wideouts in the league. With tonight's attempted face catch, I think it's pretty hard for him to argue that a more reasonable contract isn't what he deserves.

I can just see them all sitting at negotiations around a TV with that image, the ball on Braylon's facemask and his arms flailing about, on freeze frame.

I like him as a player, I hope he stays, but it's a serious mental thing that he has to grow through. He can make all the acrobatic plays in the world and raise coaches eyebrows in the practice bubble every week, but as long as he's still flubbing routine catches as often as he does, he's not a top-of-the-league guy, he just isn't. You would never, ever see Randy Moss do what Edwards did tonight. Some day, if he gets his shit together, he can be in the same conversation as the great ones, he has the talent. But until he plays like one, he can't get paid like one.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In Braylons defense, Boomer said he was talking to Mike T before the game and the lights were mentioned as being a possible problem. It was also said that the ball that it looked like TO completely gave up on was also lost in the lights. I'm not a big fan of excuses but this sounds like a legit one.

I'm starting to come around on Edwards, drops or no drops. This guy is as talented and physical as any WR in the game. Certainly the most physical and talented the Jets have had since Al Toon. It's unfortunate that he doesn't focus 100% of the time or else we would have a top 5 WR playing right now.

Even with his drops he is a benefit to this team, I don't think it is a coincidence at all that we are running the ball better since we got him and also scoring more. The guy is a threat that the D needs to account for every time he is on the field. I don't think we will sign him long term this offseason, nor do I think we should. Give him one more year to prove that his attitude problems are the result of being stuck on the Browns. I do think we will and should give him the highest tender and barring some team willing to give us their first and third he will be back next year at a reasonable salary and then we can determine what to do after next season.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Maybe they can bring in Carlos Beltran to show him how to catch a fly ball?

7. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Man, some of you guy's would screw up a wet dream.. The guy dropped a pass, but got it back with a some good catches and the TD..

RELAX.....

8. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

our running game has opened up so much more since branylon got here.defense have to respect him drops or no drops.

keep him at a decent price

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Relax, that is the key word. I think that is what Braylon needs to do a bit. I think he is playing a bit tight in the early stages of the game and it is hurting his execution. It is retarded to trade the guy or let him go. He is pretty good now and has the potential to be great.

Yes, the bomb he missed last night was pretty embarrasing, but he made up for it with an extremely athletic TD that very few receivers could do.

I think the money issues are an item and we'll have to see how that pans out. He is not yet an $8 to $9 per year guy, yet. I say, $5 to $6 like others have said and build in some incentives.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

In the long term, Braylon will actually make Clowney better.

11. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I agree with this post. He also is an excellent blocker. The problem is that he will insist on being paid in the $9M range, and will we want to commit to that? Less concentration, no more, is likely once he signs a long term contract. I expect a one-year tender, like this poster says. No way he takes $5-6M like others have said.

12. HOI

HOI Active Member

I said it once and I'll say it again. You dont make a that kind of trade for a big play WR who's contract is up at the end of the year and not hold on to him. Like it or not he's staying.

Plus if we let him go then we go back to having zero deep threats. I'm not sold on the Clown having a huge impact.

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Nice to see you in here defending someone actually worthy of bandwidth.

A few drops, sure. To the OP and mopes who've joined him, would you rather be sitting here today with Cotch, as #1 followed by Stuckey and the rest of our wr's? Something tells me that the running game wouldn't be where it is today.

He's dropped a few but also pulled in some others that you can really appreciate. It's not like we are looking at "Cleveland-Esque" drop's when comparing this season to last.

Also consider that he's downright nasty when throwing blocks for fellow players- with a couple of key blocks last night.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That was a bad drop last night that thankfully didn't cost us and he did have 2 really nice plays to try to make up for it but look at the rusnning #s since we got him. That isn't a coinciedence and as the QB gets more comfortable and Braylon gets more comfortable w/ the QB he's going to be really good here. yes, he'll drop a pass now and then but he's still a major weapon.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Absolutely no excuse for dropping that long ball. None. No fucking way Cotch drops that ball. Edwards can go away, as far as I'm concerned. Potential is great up to the point that you know it will not be realized.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The uncapped season is going to result in the Jets only having to tender him a contract of about $5 million. If some team wants to give up a 1st and a 3rd to sign him, I'll take the picks. If not, I'll be glad to have him go through a full training camp and offseason working with Sanchez and go from there.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred concentrated against one player in such a short period of time. Baffeling...

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Especially w/ all the good he has done for us.

He commands double teams, D's have to account for him. Whether he drops a pass now and then is irrelevant. he's a huge target that makes life easier for his QB when he's in trouble. We BETTER sign him long term.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cotchery dropped a key third down pass as well. I love Cotch and he is as sure handed as they come but every WR drops passes. Admittedly Edwards drops too many but he does a hell of a lot more than Cotch could ever dream of doing.

I don't know why it is so hard to believe that the lights were a factor as they were a factor for both teams and it was mentioned before the game that it could be a factor. He should have caught that ball but thankfully it didn't hurt us and he did come back with a few great plays and made up for it with his incredible TD later in the game.

I hope he can find a way to improve his focus because he would be a top 5 WR in the game if he did. The guy is the most talented WR we have had since Toon and while he may never realize the potential of a top 5 WR he has already realized the potential he has to be a weapon for this team that opens up the offense for everyone around him.

20. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Can you explain this? Why does the uncapped year have anything to do with the amount of a franchise tender?

I rememer there being three tender levels for a RA. The lowest has no compensation but a right to match. The middle level is compensation at the round the player was drafted - here a 1st. the top tender level, I thought, was a 1st and another pick at the round the player was taken - here 1st round - so compemnsation would be 2 first rounders. Where does the $5 M figure come in?

Not critiqueing, just asking for information.