Pouha

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSJETS, May 8, 2006.

1. JETSJETS

JETSJETS Member

What do you guys think about Pouha at nose guard?
    I think he is big enough and the new system should be perfect for a big guy who can occupy space and absorb those inside blockers

i can't seem to get any good info on this guys ability and potential

2. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

i think he will come in more than anybody else when Robertson gets tired but i dont see him as a starter

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

if Pouha is our nose guard we will have the worst rush defense in the league

4. The Book 24

The Book 24 Banned

I think this guy is not that good. Sure, hes was " just a rookie " but he needs to improve himself for him to be a starter. I believe he went in the 3rd round, if I am correct it was a bad pick.

5. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Cimini decrsibed him recently as a 27 year old who plays like a 47 year old.

6. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

its not that hard to be fat..

7. ilovedejets

ilovedejets New Member

if cimini said it it must be true

8. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I also don't think he is the answer. He was a bad pick up last year in the third round. Instead of grabbing a 21 year old potential DT we got a 25 year old rookie. I just think his size will not help him gain a major role and he will need to display something great in training camp to get a spot in the rotation

9. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Pouha was a wasted pick. I mean 26 years old? Christ.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Plus isn't he mormon or something? I think he has 3 wives and 6 dogs.

11. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

He couldn't beat out James Reed (5'11" and 290 lbs) last year. What does that tell you.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Mangini said he will see some time at NT. so we will see how it plays out.

13. drnyjets

drnyjets New Member

Sione Pouha is one of the only true nose tackles we have on the roster. To judge him on last years performance is not fair, most DT's don't fair well in their first year in the league. His age also has nothing to with his performance either. Dewayne Robertson has never played nose tackle before and is better suited for the 4-3 scheme. I wouldn't be surprised if Pouha is in there on all the running downs because he is the only one big enough to hold the point of attack. Def a make or break season for Pouha

14. Bomber

Bomber New Member

A lot of bitches, then.

15. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I absolutely agree with you. Some people must live in a dream world! They expect a DT to come in and be great with no experience. Imagine if their bosses treated them that way!

16. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Pouha will continue to improve. I swear, some of you guys create expectations that could never be met...I wonder if you place some of these expectations on your own careers (doubt it).

The defensive tackle / nose tackle position could the be harshest adjustment in the league, usually players take 3 years to reach their potential. The question really shouldn't be if Pouha is ready to contribute. The real question is can D'Rob be effective as a 3-4 NT.

17. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

I hope Pouha can pull it together. If not, we can ship him to Herm in a box maraked 'feel good story, shitty football player.'

18. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yes, people have very little patience for some players.... Jones at LT is a victim of this too. Pouha was a KNOWN project when he was drafted. Forget his third round status, that's history. What matters is the player. BTW, Cimini knows jack shit about linemen.

Pouha's shortcomings:

1. Lack of stamina- this was a known issue. He got by on brute strength in college, playing for Utah, and took plays off.

2. Poor Technique- This was also a known issue. He relied on his size and brute strength in college, but his technique was plain awful. He had tremendous power off the snap, but his base wasn't wide enough. His feet were too close together, and his steps were too long. That made it easy for him to be thrown off balance by an NFL lineman, who are taught to watch which foot a NT steps with first, and then to hit him on the opposite side.

Pouha's positives:

1. He has the size AND strength to be an NFL NT. He was double teamed in college almost all the time. He owned the combine in the measuables as a defensive lineman.

2. He's a good kid, (OK, not a kid) and very coachable. I saw BIG improvements in his technique in the last 3 games last year. His first step got shorter, and he widened his base, keeping his feet further apart. He began to use the short choppy steps that any good NT has to use to hold ground.

It's far tooo early to declare him a bust. He was a KNOWN project. Good NT's can play at a high level until their mid-thirties. He needs to continue to improve, and if he develops, by 2008, at the age of 28 he may be a very good NT for the Jets. That means he could be an anchor at NT for 5 years or more.

He needs to get a mean streak going, and I am hoping that Cox can teach him. Anyone who calls him a bust already simply has no clue. Pouha could still prove to be a real value down the road. Patience, patience.....

19. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

he sucks and i could see him not even making the squad this year.however i hear he will be making a guest appearance on Big Love.

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Great insight there.... Oh.... did anyone tell you about the shift key yet?