Who do we sign next year in free agency?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Killeri9590, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Long & Winding Rhode

If there is an uncapped year, Merriman becomes an RFA rather than a UFA. This is the same reasoning behind Braylon and Leon being RFAs.

2. nev319

nev319 New Member

would rather stay away from free agents (cept for merriman)..we have to extend harris,mangold,edwards,dbrick, and in another year revis is prob going want a new deal. we should just stick to the draft.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

/removes Merriman from wish-list. He'll likely be trade bait then. We should just keep our picks...unless the Chargers are dumb enough to take Gholston.

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Good choices....U 4-got NT.

5. HOI

HOI Active Member

Yea I do....thanks for the tip

However Rex has put in quite a few 4-3 packages especially after Jenk went down. Which as history has shown probably and most likely will happen again. And if memory serves the Pats played mainly in a 3-4 last year and Seymour was a beast...no? He went to the Pro Bowl as both a 3-4 and 4-3 defensive end in his career.

8 sacks last year....

This 3-4 guys only shit cracks me up...so lets says we had the chance to grab a guy like Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, etc....are we gonna say....ah shit!!...we cant...we run a 3-4.

#45 HOI, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

In the event of an uncapped year, theres little chance most of these guys hit the open market. Anyone with under 5 years of service in the league (guys like Merriman) would be RFAs and each team will also have 2 franchise tags. Since all we really need is depth (except maybe at DL), I hope we focus on the draft rather than going all out for FAs.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You want to pay Jarred Allen like a top tier DE for a position where he's going to be on the field for, at most, half of the snaps? That has to be the dumbest thing I've read today.

If you want to run a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, you don't look for guys who can only play in one formation. Bringing in Richard Seymour? Good idea. Bringing in Terrell Suggs? Good idea. Bringing in Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, or Jarred Allen? Bad idea. You need to get players who can run both systems like Seymour, or you draft a guy like Cameron Heyward. Spending money to get a top ten player at his position when his position does not fit your system is a great way to ruin your team financially.

8. HOI

HOI Active Member

I wasnt suggesting getting Allen specifically. I realize its not Madden, I was just trying to make a point. I find it crazy to opt not to bring in amazing talent (if possible) just because it may not fit your system 100%.

I agree with the hybrid type D that Miami's working on. So allow me to restate my OP for clarity....I'd like us to get a pass rushing DE who can play in multiple formations...like a Seymour.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Imagine lining up Richard Seymour with Kris Jenkins.

Put those two down on the line, and even Gholston could get a sack.