PS3 not reading disks anymore!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by nyjetsrule, Nov 30, 2009.

1. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Anybody have this problem? my playstation won't read any game, PS3, PS2 or PSX but it will read dvds without any problem. Anybody else having this problem? any ideas on what to do to fix it? I have had it since the december of the launch year, so I believe 2006.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The only issue I had with disk loading was the startup screen of the game would appear, then freeze and not finish loading. The first thing I did is back up all my save files and format the drive. It could be a garbaged sector on the hard drive perhaps, and formatting will wipe the slate clean.

3. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

Same thing happened to me last year. It happpened to me because I constantly over heated it. I still have it, never got it fixed cause the warranty expired a month before it happened. If you still have a warrany on it you could send it into sony. Im really not a technological whiz so i dont know if there is a way to fix it yourself.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The only other thing I can find to do is to use a dvd lens cleaner kit to clean it first, then if that does not work try to do the format option.

5. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Happened to me and even though I was a month or two out of warranty I was able to get a replacement (because it was the second time mine had broken.) This is a problem I seem to keep hearing about with ps3's.

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

try reformatting the hard drive.

just be lucky you dont have the yellow light of death.

i had the same 60 gig launch model and those things are fucking beasts as far as generating heat.

380 watts it runs at all the other ones are like under 280 watts.

if you play it alot or use it alot eventually the thermal compound applied to the heat sinks by the processors dries and cracks.

i went through gutting my ps3 and my friend did the same thing with his multiple times.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Never had that problem...but that doesn't sound good. Better call Sony...and be ready to drop 170 beans.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

It's seems odd doesn't it? I mean the system will play dvd's fine. it has no problem reading those. But it won't read PS3, PS2 or original Playstation games... wouldn't that be the exact same "eye" that reads the disks?

Also to those suggesting that I reformat the system, how do I do that?

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

BTW, that means go to the System menu and select the Format Utility. Remember to backup anything you want to save.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

how do I go about backing up the files? Obviously I need to take things off of the system, but what do I need exactly, will a flash drive do (to its limited memory anyways) or do I need get a specific item, like a sandisk?

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I used a little USB stick, I only backed up my save files from games.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

alright I have my files backed up, and have started the full reformatting.

If this doesn't work does anyone have any other suggestions? Other than call Sony and pay close to $200? Might as well just buy a new PS3 for $300...

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

now I am really confused. After the reformatting process, my PS3 will now read PS2 disks in addition to DVD's but it still will not read original playstation discs or the PS3 disks.

I don't have a blu-ray movie to try that, but all of the PS3 games are on blu-ray disks, so I assume they won't read either.

Any other suggestions? I found two different service repair sites, that would be cheaper than Sony, and neither seem to mind if I were to break the warranty seal. Any things I might be able try?

Has any body used either of the two repair sites? Can anybody give information on credibility of either?

http://www.ps-pros.com/(X(1)S(qof4f445aiqthx555ugqta45))/playstation-repairs.aspx

http://www.videogame911.com/

also there is this repair guide, that I am curious about, anyone got any information on it? The guide is $24.95, and it is an instant download guide, so no waiting for it to be delivered...

http://ps3repairsguide.com/

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

bump filler.....

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I don't even know what to tell you now, it appears some progress has been made, and I would assume the same laser reads both discs? I don't know, perhaps a call to Sony support and they can give you some tips?

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Found some other suggestions on the Playstation board, worth a shot I guess, but I cannot guarantee them as I have never used them.

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

an update for those who care... I am going to use the first site on the list, PS Pros. They were much easier to contact and get them to answer my questions, unlike the videogame 911 folks. They were completely uncooperative.

I will send out my PS3 via fedex tomorrow. Supposedly there is a 1 day turnaround time for the PS Pro repair people, so I would hope to see the system back in under 2 weeks.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Keep in mind that going elsewhere other than Sony will void any coverage you had on the system.