Who do we sign next year in free agency?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Killeri9590, Dec 1, 2009.

1. ibleedgreen7476

if it was uncapped, you could load the contracts to hit you mostly for that year by front loading the shit out of them, big bonus and the first year being the highest salary. I don't know exactly how it would work, but I know if the year goes uncapped, I'm glad we have Mike T at GM.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I think a league that has Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones has a damn good chance of being uncapped. Woody's recent spending sprees might tip his hat to it as well. In fact, most of the owners would probably be in favor of ditching the cap. Revenue sharing is only helping the small market teams and most of them are currently popular enough to make the cash on their own.

If anyone wants to bring back the cap it's going to be the players' union since that will probably lower the RFA/UFA line back closer to 4 years. The upcoming uncapped system favors ownership by keeping players from hitting free agency for longer and makes them cheaper.

3. CatoTheElder

You can pay two linebackers. Pace was signed with the intention of holding down the strong side, not the rush/weak side where Merriman plays. Rex swapped his position a couple of times with Thomas to ease him back into the game but since then he's been back on the strong side. We need someone to get at the QB from the weak side and neither Thomas nor Gholston are getting that job done. Also, FYP.

4. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Merriman is absolutely realistic if we cut Gholston with no cap ramifications. And in my opinion it's the way we should go. With Jenks coming back next year, the need for Hampton isn't HUGE. You draft depth. You don't spend megamillions.

The main perk of an uncapped year isn't who we're going to get. It's who the Jets can give up on with no cap problems. Gholston immediately comes to mind. Truthfully unless he agrees to a restructured deal, Faneca comes to mind. One uncapped year doesn't give the Jets a license to spend like idiots because the uncapped system returning is definitely going to be one and done. But there's no doubt they can take the money that shit Gladys is making and throw it to one big free agent. And I want a pass rusher. So Merriman it is.

5. RSherryJr

RSherryJr New Member

I don't think Gholston is going to go. Perhaps they will restructure with the threat of cutting him if he doesn't. I know what a disappointment he has been - but he is only 23 and still has a world of athletic ablility. It took James Farrior a few years to figure it out too. LB's can take some time.

As far as who we should target I think we need another CB. A nickel back to cover guys like Welker would be great. The kid Jenkins on the Saints did a great job and we need someone like him. We need a third WR. We need another RB because Thomas Jones will be gone and Leon will most likely not be his old self. Cody should be our main target in the draft - if wqe can't get him then we need to get a vet NT and a vet DE. Alge Crumpler or someone like him would be nice as well.

6. CatoTheElder

Agree with you on Hampton not filling a huge need, but at 32 years old I doubt he will be "megamillions" expensive. If Ryan can get him on the field along with Jenkins and Ellis(/Seymour?) it would be a huge DL. Two out of the four from my list is probably all of the major FA action that I would do. Even with an uncapped year, bringing in three of them would just be idiotic unless there was no chance of finding a talent at their position in the draft and we can get them for a cheaper than expected contract.

7. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

could you imagine a defensive line rotation of Ellis, Jenkins, Seymour and Hampton? hell draft a young DE in round one and opposing teams will never want to play our defense.

8. CatoTheElder

I could, if this was Madden. Even with an uncapped year, there is no way in Hell we would be able to pull off that kind of DL and still be able to afford anyone playing behind them. Still, it would be sick.

9. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

What does everyone think of Dummervill? Denver should resign but if they don't he'll be a hot commodity

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Not sure if the Giants have the cap space for him.

11. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I would comment but I was distracted by something to the left of what you wrote.

12. HOI

HOI Active Member

I dont want Merriman. If that d-bag cant keep his ass out of trouble in SD with Tila whatever the fuck her name is then NYC will eat him alive. I'd rather see us pick up a pass rushing DE or another strong CB. Robinson would be nice but that dude is gonna want big $$.

Dummervill stays in Denver. They'll franchise him if they have to. I'm sure the Jets would love to get Seymour and tweek the Pats a bit. He would certainly upgrade our pass rush right away.

The one good thing about free agency this year IMO is Rex. I think alot of defensive players in this league would love to play for him. I mean shit...he has to be able to attract more guys than Mangina.

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

if its an uncapped year, then won't EVERYONE keep their own? If its capped, then aren't we shit out of luck because of our own (Leon, Nick, etc.)?

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not everyone has sthe resources that the New York area teams do. If there is not cap, there is also no floor. Struggling teams like Jacksonville may slash some payroll. Some teams may already be up against thier player payroll max cap or no cap.

This of the payroll disparity if thetre is no cap like in baseball.

The more worry some thing to me would be what the hell will teams like Dallas and the Skins do in an uncapped season?

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Yes because of course we are the only team that wants Merriman right? And next year is uncapped only for the Jets right?

A) There won't be many big/medium names out there because of the FA rule in an uncapped year

B) Everyone of those big/medium names that actually hit FA will get a bigger contract than what they deserve for reason A and for idiots like Snyder, Al Davis, the Cowboys owner and other idiots that over pay players.

Get ready to be heart-broken in next year FA if you have high expectations...

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'd much rather build through the draft, pick up some depth then to spend big money on FAs again this summer, if we can cut Gholston and find a replacement via FA then by all means we should do it, we got plenty of resigning to do in the next couple off-seasons, I would like to see the Jets get a little more under the cap, it's bad enough were overpaying a ton of players (Gholston, Faneca)

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

PS oh and also... I don't want anymore big money FA until we redo Mangold and D'brick contracts...

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. Its not as if we are the only big market team that could spend a lot.

Our NY neighbor's have the cash flow. The Skin's and Cowboys as I mentioned have tons of income. A uncapped year will cut both ways, making average players get bigger contracts in FA much like it does in baseball.

Look no further than the Mets or my Cubs to see big spenders who often fall on thier faces with a very large payroll. Just because you can buy players does not mean its going to work out for you.

19. CatoTheElder

Uh, WTF? You do realize that we play a 3-4 right?

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Merriman has been shit ever since getting busted for PED's-

I don't think we should get him at all, he is hardly a factor anymore, why do you think San Diego doesn't want him??