One year Ago Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Why is it always someone else's fault?

I am watching the highlights now and w/ the score tied 7-7 he threw what should have been another INT around the SD 30 but it was dropped.

up 10-7 he throws a ball high and it is tipped and picked off. Clearly a bad throw.

Down 14-10 inside the SD 5 he throws high and hard to the back out of the backfield and it goes off his hands and is picked. Great ctach by the SD defender but again a bad throw.

What is the next excuse?

In 2008 he made ONE play all game! he caught SD napping and he threw to a wide open Wayne for the TD. The rest of the game he did nothing and he had a chance to get ONE 1st down to end the game and couldn't do it.

I love how Brady leads his O to a TD in the final mins of the SB to take the lead but you blame him for the Pats loss yet Manning has NEVER led a late TD drive in a playoff game the Colts lost and continuously has cost the Colts in big spots yet he goes blameless. I know you understand the game better than you are coming across in this discussion but you aren't showing it.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

And since you claim that the INTs are all on Manning, please explain the circumstances for each INT. Did he throw a bad pass? Make a bad decision? Was the ball tipped? Did the reciever run the wrong route? Was it an amazing play by the defender? If you're going to lay it all on Manning at least explain the play....

3. Murrell2878

And a great play by the defender.

It went off the recievers hands and SHOULD have been caught.

ONE play?! The bolded comment shows me you know absolutely nothing about that last drive.

THEY SCORED 14 POINTS WHEN THEY AVERAGED OVER 30!

This is not true. I've showed you this plenty of times before. The 2007 AFC Championship Game.

4. nyjunc

Check the last post, I discussed those INTs.

First off I have NEVER said it's ALL Manning, I said he's most to blame. NONE of us know if the receiver ran the right route or if the QB made the right read. All we see are the results and Manning's postseason results are poor.

5. Murrell2878

You always blame the losses on Manning. I will dig up everyone of your posts if I have to. Just look at your post above about the last drive in last years game against SD.

and he had a chance to get ONE 1st down to end the game and couldn't do it.

That last drive was not his fault, but you claim it is.

All you see are the results, because that's what the stat sheet tells you. You can easily tell if there was a mix up in communication by watching the replays. Whether it's the QBs fault or the receivers fault might be tough though.

6. nyjunc

yes, it was the most amazing play I had ever seen. Peyton throws high and the ball is tipped right into the arms of the defender. What a play!

He threw a high rocket 2 yds from the RB, it was a bad throw. It was classic panic mode Peyton.

Where am I wrong? he had a 3rd and 2 and needed one first down. yeah he was sacked but he had enough time to pump fake and still throw but he took the sack. 2 yds and the game is over. he made ONE play all game catching SD napping but he had a great rating so he must have been great!

They did score 14 points but the 14th pt gave them the lead in the final mins.

1999: Indy averages 26 a game in reg season, they score 16 in playoff loss w/ the lone TD being a garbe time TD late.
    2000: Indy averages 27 a game, they score 17 against a D that from 1998-2000 in playoff losses gave up an averaged of 35 PPG in playoff losses.
    2002: Indy averages 22 a game, they score ZERO int heir playoff loss
    2003: Indy averages 28 a game, they score 14 in their playoff loss
    2004: Indy averages 33 a game, they score THREE in their playoff loss
    2005: Indy averages 27 a game, they score 18(thanks to a gift) in their playoff loss
    2007: Indy averahes 28 a game, they score 24. The ONLY time they scored 20+ in a playoff loss but 2 critical INTs doomed Indy.
    2008: Indy averages 24 a game, they score 17 in playoff loss.

In not one of those games did Peyton lead a scoring drive in the final minutes to take the lead only to watch his D blow it.

7. nyjunc

He's the guy most responsible but obviously it's not ALL on him.

You can't tell who is at fault watching on TV, only the Colts know who is at fault and they'd never throw their guys under the bus although peyton has tried to pass the blame in years past.

What I find incredible is that you tell me how great he is b/c of stats and you are saying all I use are stat sheets which clearly is not true. I use stats to back up points but if I was jus using stats I'd say Favre is top 10, Id say manning is top 5, I'd say Manning has been a good postseason QB and I'd be wrong!

8. Murrell2878

That throw should have been caught he put it right on the RB.

The fact that you don't know where you are wrong speaks volumes. TWO running plays and he gets sacked because the TE COMPLETELY misses his block, and YOU blame it ALL ON MANNING.

They ONLY scored 14 points. They set a ton of Offensive records and could ONLY PUT UP 14 POINTS!

9. Murrell2878

What stats have I used in my argument for Peyton?

I'm glad you are FINALLY not putting all of the blame on Peyton. Small steps.

10. nyjunc

He didn't put it right on the RB, it was high and hard. Catchable? yes but a very difficult catch especially for a RB.

The 2 runs got them 8 yds, he had a 3rd and 2. he had time to throw and he couldn't get it done.

Again, it's not ALL on Manning but he gets the bulk of the blame for year after year coming up short in big spots.

The 14th point gave them a 4 pt lead in the final mins of the SB. I ask AGAIN, when has Peyton in a postseason loss ever done this?

You said he was great in 2007 and 2008 in the playoffs. The only person who would ay that is one looking at the stat sheet and not watching the game.

You say he's better than Brady b/c of the reg season fantasy #s. You guys can't play the stat sheet excuse when all you have for Favre and Manning are stats.

No ONE player deserves ALL blame just like no ONE player deserves ALL the credit. Brady doesn't get ALL the credit but he deserves the bulk of it, Manning doesn't get ALL the blame but he deserves the bulk of it.

11. Murrell2878

He didn't throw a 90 mph fastball to the RB. It was very catchable. you are exaggerating how hard he threw the ball.

He did not have a lot of time to throw as Dobbins came in UN-TOUCHED. What did you want him to do? Throw it up for grabs possibly have it get picked off? Throw it incomplete to stop the clock? What would YOU have done? He had NO time to throw the ball on that play.

The defense only gave up 17 points. The Pats offense only scored 14 for an offense that was putting up well over 30 all year and you want to deflect that to Manning?

I said he played well against the Chargers, I didn't say he played great. There is a BIG difference.

I say he's a better QB because he marches his team downfield, and doesn't dink and dunk and rely on the receivers to move the ball, then puts his kicker in long FG situations to win games for him like Brady.

I use stats to back up my argument.

Favre is a 3 time MVP and possibly will win his fourth. Where's the fantasy numbers? He's won 10 games per year as a starter. Where's the fantasy numbers? He's won a Super Bowl. Where's the fantasy numbers? He's thrown 18 go ahead TDs in the 4th qtr and OT or do you just consider that fantasy numbers too.

whoops....you took a couple small steps backwards.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how this discussion turns into another bash fest by junc against Manning, and obvious Hall of Fame QB. Sad.

13. nyjunc

It was a VERY difficult catch especially for a RB. Pretend Brady threw then let me know what you think.

He had time to pump fake and reload- that's a long time for a QB. Let's not forget he called the play, he always gets credit when things go well so why doesn't he get blame when the plays don't work?

AGAIN, he led his O 80 yds to the go ahead TD in the final mins. You don't get trophies for playing great for 58 mins. They needed to keep the Giants out of the EZ and they couldn't do it.

He didn't play great and he didn't play well. if he plays well they win both of those games instead of losing both.

If dinking and dunking guarantees playoff wins then aren't manning and favre foolish for not doing it?

Brees deserves the MVP but even if favre wins his 4th that's great. It's the reg season, he has a SB caliber team again. Let's see what he can do when it matters. Does he choke like 2 years ago or does he step up? If he steps up he takes a huge climb in my rankings.

Some of us understand the game better than others. We understand it's not all about reg season fantasy #s. Sorry if that offends you. No one is saying these guys suck, they both are deserving of the Hall but there are different levels of HOF QBs and neither is near the top.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well then Marino is a low level HOF too then. I just don't get your fascination with Manning, you bring him up constantly. You started a thread about the Jets one year ago, and before you know it, you are in another Manning festival.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Getting back on the original topic, one year ago this was the time the Jets nosedived. At 5-6 this year, any fall at this point won't be as dramatic as the team had a mid season swoon.

16. nyjunc

This thread to a turn when the favre fellaters showed up and favre, like Manning, is a great reg season fantasy QB but melts in big spots in Januayr. I didn't change this topic, others did.

Marino didn't have the talent around him that manning has had, Marino elevated mediocre teams to the playoffs every year. Manning is holding back SB caliber teams from raching multiple SBs.

17. nyjunc

Maybe we go opposite this year? How about we win 4 of the last 5 instead of lose 4 of 5? That would be fun.

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

If the swoon is indeed over than yes, that is possible. The defense is playing well right now, it all depends on turnovers in my opinion.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yea whatever you say, Glen Beck...

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Just outta curiosity, Junc... who are the players that make the Colts roster SB caliber? Since they're 11-0 and going to the Playoffs again - and since Manning "holds them back," as you say - who are the talented players that make them a SB caliber team?