One year Ago Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

His MVP seasons were 1995, 1996 and 1997. they only ran into Dallas in 1995 and that was the worst of the Cowboy title teams.

Favre had plenty of time to get his O downfield to tie that SB against denver.

Brett favre played the Giants at HOME w/ a HUGE homefield advantage. he had the benefit of a K missing multiple kicks to keep his team alive. Brady had none of those advantages and he didn't throw away his teams chances, he led them on an 80 yd TD drive trailing by 3 in the final minutes.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Favre had plenty of time to get his O downfield to tie that SB against denver.

I said he had a FIVE year run where he was the best QB on the planet. 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998. His Packers lost to the Cowboys three straight seasons while they were the best team in the league. 1993, 94 and 95. The 1995 Cowboys were a much better offensive team than their previous teams, but their defense was not as good. Favre and the Packers put up 27 points against them but the Packer defense (the one that you claim is a large reason for their success) gave up 38 points.

Favre put up 24 points against the Broncos and put them in position to win. The defense allowed Denver to march right down the field.

A "HUGE" homefield advantage? They played the Giants who play in windy cold conditions all the time. It's not like they were playing the Buccaneers in which case it would have been a huge homefield advantage. Brady had the advantages of having Moss and Welker and a climate controlled stadium against the same defense and only put up 14 points

3. nyjunc

If 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 was the 5 year run they only ran into Dallas twice.

1994 dallas was not the best team in the league- SF was and in '95 Dallas was ripe for the picking against a Switzer led Cowboy team.

So favre wasn't allowed to lead his team to points in the 4th qtr? 27 wasn't enough against a high powered offense and Favre also sealed the game w/ an INt that set up Dallas' last TD to ice the game but that's ok b/c he led them to 27 points?

Favre had the ball in his hands w/ a chance to win the game against denver. he had 1st and 10 at the GB 30 w/ more than a min and a half to play. Blame whoever you want but he ahd plenty of time to lead them downfield and couldn't do it.

The Giants don't play home games at Lambeau, lambeau was one of the best homefield advantages in the NFL and not just b/c of the weather. It's alot harder beating a team at a neutral site than it is to beat them at home. Do you think the Giants would have had a chance at Foxboro? of course not- Brady has NEVER lost a home playoff game.

Brady led his team 80 yds in the final minutes to take the lead. favre was handed gift after gift- if you can't see the difference I can't help you.

4. Murrell2878

Let me be more clear because you are stuck on insignificant things. The Favre led Packers ran into the Cowboys 3 times in the playoffs from 93-95. Twice during his Five year reign as the best QB in the league and once as the NFL MVP. The 1995 Cowboys WERE NOT ripe for the picking. At least provide some reasoning behind this thought besides “Switzer was their HC” – which is an poor argument anyway.

He threw 3 TDs that game. But it’s okay to ignore that? He led 5 scoring drives. It’s okay to ignore that? 27 points is a lot of points scored (this same logic has been used by you).

Denver’s defense stepped it up that drive and shut it down once GB got passed the 50 yard line. Give the opponent some credit for a change.

It is not a lot harder to beat a team on a neutral field when you just went 16-0 and set new offensive records and are playing in a climate controlled dome stadium than it is to beat a team in blustery freezing cold weather. If you can’t see this then I seriously need to re-think my opinion of your apparent knowledge.

That drive that Brady led was his typical dump off passes to Welker as Welker carried them down the field while the Giants were playing in prevent. I have to say it again…The Patriots re-wrote the offensive record books and put up 7 points thru 3+ Quarters and ended with only 14. The Packers in a freezing cold windy day put up 20 against that same defense.. Home field or neutral field did not play any significant meaning in these two games, its only used by you to justify your argument that otherwise has no merit.

Also, I do think the Giants could have beaten the Pats at home. The Chargers very nearly did two weeks earlier and if they were healthy would have.

5. nyjunc

is the 5 year run from 93-97 or 94-98? you keep flip flopping on that. Either way his 3 MVP seasons he only faced Dallas once.

You really need reasoning about the '95 Cowboys? reason #1- BARRY SWITZER

Do you need more reasons?

That's great he threw 3 TDs(one was a 1 yarder) but he had his chance in the 4th qtr and instead of leading them to the winning score he threw the INT that led to the TD that sealed it for Dallas.

Of course Denver's D stepped it up:rofl:

Brady led his O 80 yds w/ the SB on the line to take the lead w/ 2 1/2 to play.

Whether he dumped off or not is irrelevant. He led them 80 yds to take the lead and if it's easier to score by dumping off why doesn't Brett and Peyton do it more? Wouldn't it make sense? That is another reason they aren't in Brady's class, Brady is about winning the other 2 are about individual #s.

6. Murrell2878

I'm not suggesting that Favre is the greatest QB to ever play. And the second half of his career has not equaled the first half. And I understand that he's prone to making dumb mistakes. All that being said, I think it's completely unfair to say Favre is not considered among the best to ever play. With Favre you have a chance to win. As I have mentioned he has thrown 18 go ahead TDs in the 4th qtr or OT. He's won 3 NFL MVPs and could be on the way to his fourth. He's won 10 games per season as a starting QB and has won 10 this year. He's thrown for 30+ TDs more than anyone ever has.

In the playoffs he's been somewhat up and down. But he does have a Super Bowl win and 10 of his 28 career postseason INTs happened in two games, so it's not as bad as it may seem.

7. Murrell2878

I haven't flipped on anything.

His teams ran into the Cowboys in the playoffs in 93, 94, 95

His 5 year run when he was the best QB in the league was 94-98.

During his three MVP seasons he went to the Super Bowl twice.

Okay, so you cannot provide any sound reasoning as to why teh Cowboys were ripe for the picking.

It happens. When you are trailing you tend to force the ball more and he threw it down field while scrambling from pressure. Favre put up 27 points but only had the ball for 21 minutes in that game.

I'm assuming you did not watch the game. Actually it's probably quite likely you didn't but read the box score the next day. Denver's defense did pick it up.

Brady doesn't win without a great kicker. Brady should have led the Pats to MORE than 14 points.

8. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

:rofl: best line in this thread! delusional ranting at its best.

I also got a kick out of the "ripe for the picking" comments. LOL That 1994 Dallas team was pretty damn good.

9. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

You've made a lot of excellent points. junc doesn't respond well to logic. It baffles him.

10. Murrell2878

Don't forget that Favre should have led the Packers to more than 27 points but Brady leading the Pats to 14 was a good game.

11. nyjunc

When you are a HOFer(which he will be) you are considered among the best to ever play BUT there are different levels of HOfers. He's clearly not in the top 5-10.

So during his 5 year run he ran into Dallas just twice- what aboutb the other 2 seaosns he didn't win it all?

Were you watching football in 1995? That Dalla steam wasn't close to as good as the '92 and '93 teams. That was the only SB where the opponent had a legit chance to win the game and Pitt was a good team but far from great and not as good as those Bills team that dallas thrashed.

They were trailing 31-27, they weren't down 17 pts where you have to force things to get back in it.

Of course I saw that SB. I was afraid GB was going to score after they allowed Den to score and saved all that time. I wouldn't call what Denevr's D did stepping up- I guess you can say that anytime an opposing O is stopped, right?

Brady should have led his O to more than 14 pts against the Giants but the fact is he still led them to the lead in the final minutes something Favre did not do w/ GB in the title game.

Manning has had that same kicker- where are his 3 SBs in 4 years?

They were good but we are talking about 1995 which was also a very good team BUT nowhere near as good as the '92 and '93 teams. Teams had a chance against the '95 Cowboys- they didn't the other years they won.

Brady led his O to the go ahead TD in the final mins, Favre threw the back breaking INT to seal GB's fate.

Some games 14-20 may win it, others you may need 30+.

12. Murrell2878

He's top 10

Do you not remember?

I was watching football in 1995. The Cowboys defense wasn't as good as in years past but that team was NOT "ripe for the picking". Their offense was more potent, and they had a massive offensive line. Their defense was still quite good giving up 18 ppg (not the 15 / 14 they did in 92 / 93). You still have yet to provide a serious attempt at giving a reason why they were "Ripe for the picking".

Tell me exactly how they were better in 92 or 93 than 95 then explain why the 1995 team was "ripe for the picking". In what ways were they on the same level as the other NFC teams in 1995?

You don't think Denver's D stepped it up the last 4 plays after GB got into Denver's territory?

If you want to call dump off passes to Welker as leading them down the field be my guess. But it was Welker who got them into TD range. Brady leading them to only 14 pts when they averaged well over 30 ppg is a disgrace.

Really?

13. Murrell2878

The 1995 Cowboys were 3 best in the NFL in points allowed and 2nd best in the NFL in points scored. Please explain to us how they were ripe for the picking....

14. nyjunc

He's definitely not top 10.

I remember, I'm asking what the excuses are for the teams he lost to besides Dallas.

Dallas would only win one more playoff game(the '96 WC game). That team was heading towards the end of it's dynasty and they were clearly ripe for the picking much like the 2001 Yankees.

Did Denver's D step it up or dod the GB O fail to execute? I don't know. What I do know is that favre failed in a big spot again- it wasn't again at that point. he was actually good in postseason up to that game but his fortuntes changed dramatically after that game.

Regardless how it happened he led his team on an 80 yd TD drive in the final mins to take the lead. Brett only had 70 yds to lead his team to the tying score and couldn't get close.

15. nyjunc

They were 3rd in PA and 3rd in scoring. That Dallas team could be beaten unlike the 2 previous Champs.

16. Murrell2878

That 1995 team was just as dominant as the other two teams. They ranked near the top in offense and defense. Still had Aikman, Smith, Irvin and Novacek. He massive OL. And added Deion Sanders to their defense.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Question for you Junc - if Favre goes on to win league MVP, has his best season as a pro and the Vikings win the superbowl, where would you rank him?

18. Murrell2878

Poor example. The 2001 Yankees had a lot of aging stars. The Cowboys 1995 team were all still in their prime.

He had a good game in that Super Bowl as well. I don't deny the post season games after wards were up and down.

Brady had a lot more time and was able to go underneath while the Giants were in prevent.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Packers that Favre played on were a far better team than the Rams. The Packers had the no. 1 D the one year Favre won his SB. He had two Pro Bowl TE on that squad with Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura along with a really good WR in Antonio Freeman and Dorsey Levens when healthy was a very good back.

Leroy Butler and Reggie White are both HOF type players with White one of the most dominating defensive players of the era on that team. The Rams D wasn't close to that Packer team and Howard was a great return man.

Kurt Warner was asked to do more and did do more than Favre did when he took the Rams to the SB.

#139 winstonbiggs, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  20. Murrell2878

I hate to disagree with you but I am going to have to.

While Reggie White was far better than any defensive player the Rams had, the Rams were quite capable with Kevin Carter. And their defense gave up only 15 ppg.

Warners receivers Bruce and Holt were better than Favre's Freeman and Brooks. Faulk was a far superior back to Dorsey Levens.

Howard was a great return man that year and set the Packers up in great field Position, but the Rams has Az Hakim who was also very good.

Warner did not carry the 1999 Rams all on his own. He had better talent than Favre did to work with on offense, and his defense and Special Teams were nearly as good as Favre's Packers.