One year Ago Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chalomi

chalomi New Member

cant wait for next season

2. Jason05

Jason05 Member

Favre >> Sanchez..

We have a rookie QB, we can't expect nothing now, let's play this kid and see what happens

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

When you have teams capable of winning in postseason and you don't it gets discussed more. Postseason means morew than the reg season, I'd rather have a good reg season QB that elevates his game in January than great reg season QBs to regress in postseason like Peyton and Favre. Favre for the last decade of his career played in an incredibly weak conference and division and yet his awful play couldn't lead them to many playoff wins.

I know you know football better than just looking up fantasy #s but for some reason that is what you base your QB judgements on. I don't care that he threw 30+ TDs a certain # of times, he's also the all-time INT leader but that doesn't mean anything, right?

Spare me the nonsense of go ahead TDs in 4th qtr/OT. That myth was explained already. I believe I have the link at work and I'll post it later.

OK Starr was 5-0, Dickey 1-0. Favre lost 3 of his last 4 at home to teams that were 8-8, 9-6-2 and 10-6 and since you love fantasy #s below were his #s in those 3 games:

61-110, 699 yds, 4 TDs, 8 INTs, 56.6 rating

For this year? No. That clown Favre owed us one more year for ruining our 2008 BUT long term we are in MUCH better shape. We are basically gettign similar QB play that we got a year ago but instead of having a sideshow we are developing a young QB for the future and we'll likely end up w/ a similar record as we had a year ago against a tougher sched this year. We are in good shape going forward.

:rofl: YOU called ME a psycho?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Got to say that I have to agree with Junc on this. Favre is a very good QB but he is not in the same class as Marino, Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Young, Brady, Manning, Elway and Sanchez. He has done less with more talent than a ton of former HOF QB's.

He is a throwback type of gunslinger but the fact is he played in the era where the QB was protected and the gunslinger mentality probably cost his teams as many SB as it got them. He is clearly the Diva of all the HOF QB's.

5. nyjunc

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Thanks for posting the article but I said he has thrown 18 TD passes that have given his team the lead in the 4th qtr or overtime. I did not give credence to his 2 play - zero yard drive. Although you have used those types of drives as an example of support for Brady in the past.

7. nyjunc

Were they down in the 4th qtr? what was the situation? how long were the drives? It's not just black and white. He's just not on the level of a Brady or the other top 5-10 QBs in NFL history.

#107 nyjunc, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  8. Murrell2878

Based on what though? His regular season TD / INT ratio's are better than Staubach, Elway, Aikman, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Starr and Griese and his Post Season TD / INT ratio is better than Aikman, Marino, Manning, Elway, Staubach, Bradshaw, Unitas and Griese. For a 5 year stretch he was the best QB on the planet and has won THREE NFL MVP awards and could possibly win his fourth this year.

9. Murrell2878

They were go-ahead TD passes. What difference does it make if they were tied or losing prior to the pass.

10. nyjunc

There's more to it than ratios. You are comparing #s to guys who played in completely different eras to try to reach for a point. he is a compiler, he's nowhere near the top 5-10 QBs in the game.

He did have as great a 3 year run as any QB in the game but only won 1 SB in that span and that was more thanks to D and STs. Since that time he's been a good, not great, QB w/ the exception of '07 and '09 and '07 he blew GB's season- what does '09 hold?

11. nyjunc

Of course it makes a difference where they get the ball and the situation in the game as far as score, time, etc...

12. Murrell2878

3 year run? Try 5. He won only one SB because he ran into the Cowboys while they were at the top. I know you don't like to give other teams credit but those Cowboys teams were really good.

He may have "blown" GB's chances in 2007 but he still put up more points against the Giants in a cold blistery day than Brady did in a climate controlled dome with an undefeated team.

13. Murrell2878

No it doesn't. You are trying to downplay his accomplishments because of your bias against him.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Staubach, Bradshaw, Greise, Starr, Unitas and Tarkenton all played in the era that had much wider hash marks, didn't allow O lineman to extend their arms and allowed DL to go to the head. The WR and the QB were totally unprotected.

I don't consider Aikman an all time great, excellent HOF worthy but not an all time great and I don't consider Tarkenton or Greise all time greats either.

The guy played on great teams and was a great trigger man for several years but his gunslinger mentality cost his teams in big spots. Based on MVP's and taking his team to the dance, Kurt Warner is arguably better than Favre. Elway was a gunslinger on a crappy team and took them on his back. When he had a great team he toned it down and won. Namath basically did the same thing.

#114 winstonbiggs, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  15. Murrell2878

Kurt Warner had better weapons than Favre. He's had Holt, Bruce, Faulk, Boldin, Fitzgerald and Breaston. All of which are better than anything Favre has ever had.

I don't deny that Favre has hurt his team with some of his decisions but to downplay how good he was is silly to me. 2 of his last 3 years rank right up with some of the best years he had during the mid 90's. He's not a low level HOF QB.

16. nyjunc

The Cowboys at the top ended in 1995 and that team was ripe for the picking anyway w/ that buffoon Switzer in charge. His next 2 great season were '96 and '97 so he only ran into dallas once in those 3 MVP years.

Did Brady get the gift of multiple missed FGs keeping his team alive? Did Brady have the abll w/ a guaranteed chance to win if they scored? Did Brady turn it over? Did Brett lead GB 80 yds in the final minutes to take the lead?

Of course it matters. I don't have a bias against him, I have a bias for the truth.

17. nyjunc

Kurt took 2 of the worst franchises in the NFL to the Super Bowl. Brett's never been to a SB w/o Holmgren and Holmgren made one w/o Brett.

18. Murrell2878

With weapons like Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Fitzgerald and Boldin.

19. Murrell2878

They ran into the Cowboys in 1993, 94 and 95. Went to the Super Bowl in 1996 and 1997 and if not for a late TD given up by the defense in SB XXXII could be a two time SB champion and a late TD by SF ended their chances in 1998.

Brett Favre put up 20 in a cold blustery day against the same defense that Brady put up 14 against in climate controlled environment. That's the truth.

You have a biased and slanted truth

20. nyjunc

Those are weapons Manning has had on an annual basis, why does he only have 1 SB app?

Favre has had enough weapons to win in a weak NFC.