Eric Smith/Kerry Rhodes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Darth Vader, Nov 29, 2009.

1. 624

624 Banned

Similar to "a bad throw makes catches look good" being in good position on defense sometimes can make defensive plays look mediocre, Rhodes earned his 2 picks no matter how easy they looked today.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's the thing. Smith played well today but I don't see him holding up as a starting safety against some of the better QBs in the league. I think he has his best chance to succeed as a system player in Ryan's defense, not a regular starter. It's not like this performance came against the greatest competition on the schedule. Playing against Jake Delhomme is a great way to pad your resume this season. I'd be more in favor of Smith getting the start next week if he played this well against a tougher opponent. As for now, I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith as an every day starter.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Awesome....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9eZM_FcoQ[/YOUTUBE]

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its no different from Jim Leonhard.

They thrive in this system but not all systems.

5. CatoTheElder

Rhodes stepped it up this week. Rhodes is the better athlete. Rhodes has more experience. If Rhodes can keep the effort up(which is the same qualifier I put in my previous response), he's going to be a better player than Smith. Smith has played well, but he's better suited as a Doug Plank hybrid who is asked to play closer to the line and support the run game than as a cover safety.

The Panthers only have one receiving threat in Smith. We're eventually going to have to play teams like the Colts and the Falcons who have much better receiving corps that are probably going to give us much more trouble in the passing game.

Rhodes can be a better player when he chooses to. He chose to this week. If he chooses so next week, he's going to be the better option than Smith.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think hes black, wait no maybe hes white... hmm i dont know :) yeah yeah yeah!!!!

:p:

#66 alleycat9, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So we should discount the Rhodes interceptions? The only impactful things he's done this year?

8. CatoTheElder

Leonhard's a better athlete and a smarter player than Smith. I'm not saying that your wrong here but Leonhard is a little more flexible of a player than Smith. His skill set could translate to another system better than Smith's

9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Eric Smith was better than Rhodes in this game and has been better than him all season. Smith has been hitting well and has not been a liability in coverage. He should continue to start.

10. CatoTheElder

Rhodes at least has a history of playing well. Until this year, Smith has done nothing. Nor has he exactly been spectacular when he's performed.

#70 CatoTheElder, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  11. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Not spectacular, but hes been very very solid all year even when he wasnt starting.

12. CatoTheElder

Yes, Smith was solid as a situational player earlier in the season and he played well against a mediocre offense as a starter. Rhodes did everything he was supposed to today, including getting some pressure in on Delhomme. I'm not saying that either is guaranteed the starting spot or that Smith has not played well. I just think that if Rhodes keeps his head out of his ass and gets his attitude right this week in practice then Ryan is going to give him the start.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No, we shouldn't but we should keep them in the right context.

ANYONE playing S on the right side would've intercepted the second INT and he wasn't pass-defending but just covering the top of a rout when he got the first one.

Delhomme really gave those two INTs away... props to Rhodes for making the catches but let's not get too carried away.

14. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

just do the same thing we did today, why? because it worked

15. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

When athletes start referring to themselves in the third person it is a sure sign that their egos are way over-inflated, but we already knew that

16. EdBell

EdBell New Member

Smith. Period. Next question.

17. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass every now and then. I say keep this BITCH on the BENCH.

18. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

if coming off the bench keeps giving us INTs from him, I say let him ride it the rest of the season

19. jgangstahippie7:18

Still waiting for the sun to shine on Gholston.....

20. Tight

Tight Active Member

Well one of the things said when rex was brought in was; this d will allow kerry to freelance. So how do we know when it isnt freelancing and when is ? Also that first one was definite freelancing...

I like smith better, he wraps up makes good reads and has decent speed. Kerry rhode doesnt look any faster then this guy. Trade that negro, I want two white safeties in the back..