Eric Smith/Kerry Rhodes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Darth Vader, Nov 29, 2009.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Smith has always been a better tackler than coverage guy. That's why Ryan used him as a SS/LB hybrid earlier in the season. Up until today, Rhodes was barely trying to tackle, just throwing his shoulder/back into the receiver/ball carrier and hoping that they go down. He was wrapping up today, I think that Ryan got to him about it.

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

A reporter should have asked" Can Kerry Rhodes tell us where he went?"

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

How was he wrapping up today? Did he even have one tackle?

4. CatoTheElder

Jarrett's TD that was called back for OPI. Rhodes had him around the waist and was pulling him down. Wasn't the best and he let Jarrett into the endzone but the form and effort were much better than last week. I would count it as an improvement.

5. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Nope, he didn't have a recorded tackle.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Smith was a beast today what a difference it is with a Safety who comes up and HITS. Rhodes first pick was very big and he finally showed some heart with the way he was rushing the passer. Last pick was nothing really, anyone could have gotten that one. On a side note, What the s@#T was Delhomme doing towards the end? The guy was throwing straight up in the air every time.

With the way Smith played Rex can't put Kerry back in as the starter just yet. He cannot do that! What would it say to his teammates, as Smith stood right in there and was wrecking two of the better running backs in the league. Excellent game for Mr. Smith

7. CatoTheElder

I'm not too concerned with who the starter is. Rhodes got his head out of his ass today. Smith hit like a demon today. Both of them are going to see the field. Both of them are going to make a difference on Thursday.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I really hope so but I doubt it'll turn out that way. Carrie had 2 picks, which is a pretty big day even though he didn't defend any passes or make any tackles.

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

This is sigworthy. Too bad I like my sig quote too much.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Think he had a nice game. Seemed like he was in on every tackle.

11. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

I thought it was a 'Milliner' that makes hats?

12. CatoTheElder

Yea, that is the more accurate term but I think a haberdasher could also sell hats. Of course I could always be wrong. I just like the word "haberdasher" more than "milliner" anyway.

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Rhodes had 2 picks, and was in good position. I am not sold on those 2 picks, as my 4 year old could have picked them, but he was in good position.

Smith was all over the place. I still didn't see that from Rhodes. I saw one blitz from Rhodes were he pussy footed around the corner.

JMO

14. CatoTheElder

That means that he was doing his job. Part of playing safety is sticking to your assignments and ignoring the urge to freelance.

15. pdpullmn612

pdpullmn612 New Member

Smith lead the team in tackles today. Sounds good to me. I say we stick to the same for Thursday's game. Start Smith and use Rhodes when needed.

#55 pdpullmn612, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd think he might be starting for awhile at this point. Rhodes is a decent player but if the Jets have to choose the young hungry player is the better bet. I liked what I saw out of both of them today but I'd rather have Smith stay on the field at this point.

17. CatoTheElder

If Rhodes can prove that he wants to play for this team and will give his best effort out there during practice this wee then I doubt Smith will take the next start. Smith did make a major case for some increased playing time, though. I would not be too surprised to see Smith, Rhodes, and Leonhard all on the field at the same time in nickle packages.

18. Br4d

Why would Ryan start Rhodes over Smith when it obviously motivates Rhodes big time to be coming off the bench?

I mean if Smith wasn't a good player I could see it but Smith is obviously a good player for Ryan's system. He's like Doug Plank in Buddy's 46.

19. Br4d

Smith has been a much better player in this system than Rhodes has. Why put him back on the bench when the defense just did a lights out job against Carolina? Seriously, you want Rhodes back at SS next week and the Jets defense back to mediocre?

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'd keep smith on first and second and any running range third down. Rhodes can play on third and in Nickle/dime packages.