One year Ago Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

And the reason he made those mistakes is because, as is with most QBs (even the great ones), it's a team sport and you can't just put a team on your back/arm and expect miracles. The Packers had some up and down years with running game, offense and defense. You can't expect one guy to lift you above all that. It didn't work for John Elway... it took a solid team around him for him to get his rings as well.

I think maybe Jets fans discount this fact because we had a pretty special guy that got us where we had to go years ago... that scenario was the exception to the rule. Not the norm.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The tie vs KC was 1988, dropped us to 3-1-1, our fast start before Gastineau retired. We blew a 17-3 lead in the 4th quarter, could have gotten out of there dry, the skies opened up during OT and we got soaked. The Dallas game was 1990, Coslet's first year and Jimmy Johnson's second, Terrance Mathis was a rookie for us and returned a punt 98 yards for a TD. Dallas almost made the playoffs that year at 7-9. I was at both of those games. Dallas came back to play us with the same team on a Saturday at the end of 1993 and they were a lot better to say the least.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How am I obsessive? This thread wasn't abotu Favre but the Favre lovers turned it into a thread about Favre.

Speaking of obsessive- would that be like acting like a certain INT machine who hasn't done anything note worthy in big games in almost 15 years is the greatest of all time and making excuses after excuse for every time he fails?

You do realize Howrad gave Favre short fields all day, right? you do realize NE had cut it to 6 pts before that KR, right?

Liar? I always liked Favre b/c I have a soft spot for GB since we always beat them and GB was always facing Dal and SF in the 90s- 2 teams I hated.

It wasn't all Favre but if he played well we win a few of those games and win the division.

The injury was legit but isn't he a warrior that can play through anything?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/74112627.html?page=2&c=y

Straight from favre, can we cut out the excuses now? He uses playing through pain as a badge of courage- you can't have it both ways. you can't say how tough is he in one stence then complain he was hurt when his play starts deteriorating.

"from a psyco":rofl::rofl: Says the guy who probably wears lucky #4 underwear and defends his poor play in bog spots wherever he goes.

The only good thing about that KC game was that Al Toon caught a pass in OT or his consecutive games w/ a catch streak would have ended.

KC killed our playoff hopes that year. They stunk but went 1-0-1 against us in 2 games and beat us in the final secs at KC. if we win those 2 games we go to the playoffs.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

^why'd we play KC twice?

5. nyjunc

That was before expansion and the AFC Central only had 4 teams while the east and West div's had 5 teams(In the NFC the West had 4 teams) so the scheduling formula was that the 2 last place teams in the AFC East and West played twice, they played the last place teams from the 5 team NFC divs and that they played the entire AFC Central division. We both finished last in 1987 and played them twice in 1988.

1987 standings:
    1. Indy
    2. NE
    3. Mia
    4. Buf
    5. NYJ

we played:

-8 div games
    -2 vs. KC(last place from other AFC 5 team div)
    -vs. NYG, at det(2 last place teams from 5 team NFC divs)
    -AFC Central

6. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

LOL.....you need to watch the super bowl again. Howard wasn't setting up the Packers with short fields on all those scoring drives. Amazing how you try to talk so much all the time about things you know nothing about.

Yes.......and the Patriots never scored again......so Desmond didn't win it on his own. Favre still put enough points on the board to give them the lead. Brett also tossed a two point conversion after Howard's kick return TD to give GB a 14 point lead. I guess that means nothing also, right? Christ you're fuckin' dumb as hell.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

can we all at least agree that voluntarily choosing to call yourself "Favre4ever" is something only a 12 year girl with a subscription to Seventeen magazine would do?

8. nyjunc

-1st possession of game: NE 4th and 10 at NE 36. Tom Tupa punts 51 yds, Desmond Howard has 32 yd return setting up GB 1st and 10 at the GB 45. Gb scored 1st TD

-NE's 2nd poss Bledsoe throws INT. GB set up 1st and 10 at NE 28, kick FG up 10-0.

-NE cuts deficit to 10-7, ensuing KO Howard returns it to GB 18. GB goes 3 and out.

-NE takes 14-10 lead, Howard returns KO to GB 26. GB goes 3 and out

-NE punts, Howard has 6 yd return to GB 17. GB goes 3 and out

-NE punts, poor return sets up GB 1st and 10 at GB 19. Favre thorws 81 yd TD and GB takes 17-14 lead

-NE punts, Howards 34 yd return sets up GB 1st and 10 at NE 47. GB kicks FG up 20-14

-Bledsoe INT'd. 1st and 10 at GB 26. They score TD to go up 27-14.

27-14 GB at the half. So far 20 of their 27 pts were set up by Howard PRs or Bledsoe INTs.

2nd half:

-Howard returns KO to GB 25, GB punts

-Howard FC at 12, GB goes 3 and out.

-NE scores TD to cut it to 27-21, on ensuing KO Howard returns it for TD. GB up 35-21

-punt out of bounds to avoid Howard and GB gets it at GB 73. they punt a few plays later.

-NE punts again, Howard returns it to GB 40. GB punts a few plays later.

-GB int's Bledsoe again. 1st and 10 at GB 31, sets up FGA which Jacke misses.

-NE punts again, holding on Gb sets up GB at GB26- 3 and out.

-bledose INT'd again, GB kneels.

yeah this win was all Favre, Howard did nothing all day and the D was clearly rescued by tghe great Favre who led ONE drive all day w/o the benefit of a good return or turnover.

You can hurl insults(that's generally what people do when they have no argument) or you can sit back and learn. Now go get wash your Favre underoos so they are available for the big game tomorrow!

9. nyjunc

Do you think he has his scene from "there's something about Mary" running on a loop?:rofl:

10. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

You seriously think this proves your point? None of Howard's punt or kickoff returns other than the TD return had them currently in FG range. That means the QB orchestrated each scoring drive by either getting them in the end zone or into FG range. A 54 yard TD pass, an 81 yard TD pass, a 74 yard TD drive........those are nothing? LOL.....like I said, you're dumb as hell.

11. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

I can agree that most jets fans are the whiniest bitches I've ever seen. I'm sure you fit the description.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you should have stopped here.

I agree. This should have been a different post.

13. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Haha......well it was a play on some of the words used in his post.

Anyways.....I don't want to argue with a bunch of posters here. I do like to prod junc though. His delusional rants are amusing.

I have to admit that even though Favre isn't a Jet anymore, I still like this team and have been following them this year. Lots of talent on the team yet but the growing pains of a rookie QB is tough to overcome right now. Losing Jenkins doesn't help either.

14. nyjunc

he did SCORE a TD, right? so that helped and if you don't think getting set up at the 40 yd line or beter is helping then I can't help you. He led ONE scoring drive all game that wasn't set up by either a good return or a turnover.

Take off the Favre homer glasses and look at things rationally.

No one is saying your hero doesn't belong in the Hall but he cleearly is toward the bottom of HOF QBs and nowhere near the top like the Favre lovers like to believe.

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Favre will not be near the bottom of all the HOF QBs.

16. nyjunc

Sure he will, not at the bottom but at that bottom level. he's certainly nowhere near the top. He's not even the best QB in packer history. In ONE postseason game Favre threw SIX Ints while in TEN postseason games Bart Starr threw just 3. Starr was also 10-1 in postseason and never lost at home, no GB QB had ever lost at home until the great Favre led GB to THREE home playoff losses- one was an 8-8 team, one a 9-6-1 team and one a 10-6 team. Even Lynn Dickey never lost a home playoff game.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Dude, you really need to get off of post season being your only basis of argument.

He's a THREE time NFL MVP. He's the all-time winningest QB, has thrown the most TDs, and most yards. Only two players (Manning & Marino) have thrown for more 4,000 yard+ seasons than Favre and no one has more 30+ TD seasons. Favre has 18 go ahead TDs in the 4th Qtr or OT which is 8th most since 1970. He's also won a Super Bowl. There is no one with any credibility that would consider Favre towards the bottom of any group of HOF QBs.

His gunslinger mentality has hurt him at times but it's also helped him.

How many home Playoff games did Starr play in? He played in 5 home games.

Lynn Dickey? He played in 1.

Favre played in 11. At some point you're going to lose at home when you play that many home playoff games. Using Lynn Dickey's one home playoff game to prove your argument is beyond weak.

18. JetsFanNC

JetsFanNC New Member

The question is, are we in better shape now than we were then?

19. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Rationally. Amusing that you use that word at all.

20. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

More delusional rants from the psycho....