The Official "What's next after Charlie Weiss" Notre Dame Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Nov 23, 2009.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The loss to UConn probably cemented the inevitable with Weiss being fired and the program upheaved again. Anyone have a preference for who gets brought in next? I've heard rumors of everyone from Stoops at OU, Brian Kelly of Cincinatti, Harbaugh of Stanford, Gruden...should be interesting to see how quickly this gets resolved.

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Harbaugh will probably spend another year at Stanford, and even a decent year there would mean taking over at Michigan for when Rodriguez inevitably fails again.

Brian Kelly seems like the perfect choice, though if they were able to pull a guy like Gruden, it could really be what they need to get that program going again.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Notre Dame's top choice is Florida's Urban Meyer. I've been hearing a lot of talk that ND is willing to basically give Meyer anything he wants to leave UF and come there.

Brian Kelly has to be the next candidate.

I believe Harbaugh just signed an extension with Stanford. He really believes that he has a up and coming team at Stanford, so he'll probably stay there until QB Andrew Luck graduates. Harbaugh really wants to kick Pete Carroll's ass - these two HATE each other.

4. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Just don't try to steal Houston Nutt

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Irish eyes are smiling...Brian Kelly will be named the HC of ND shortly after his team's bowl game.

Just imagine what Kelly can do with the resources given to him at ND after turning a mediocre Cincinatti team into a national title contender.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I've said this before - I work with a couple of big ND Boosters, so I hear some of the chatter. A few things I've heard -

There really weren't any sunken faces after Urban's announcement yesterday. I never heard anyone talk about him as a serious option. It's more interesting, though, that some ND people actually resent Urban Meyer from 2005, when they were clinking glasses on the flight home from Utah thinking he was coming to ND, while he was off signing with Florida.

Surprisingly, there IS some sentiment for giving Charlie Weis one more year. Sounds crazy, I know. But they LOVE his recruiting, and they especially love how he's taken steps to expand recruiting geography. He had another strong year, and they're a little afraid that recruiting will take a big step backward. The appreciate his connection to the ND community - something they never really got out of Lou Holtz or anyone since. Also, they aren't sniffling at the money. The only mitigating factor is that they've renewed their television contract - and probably will keep renewing it as long as Dick Ebersol runs NBC Sports. Unless they keep sucking.

I haven't heard very much enthusiasm for Brian Kelly. He seems to be the front runner, but one of the guys I talk too has been pushing for Gruden since the Ty Willingham days.

They all think that Charlie will agree to a lesser buyout and will go peacefully. This is stupid to the ordinary person, but ND boosters think in strange abstracts.

I have a meeting with one of these dudes this afternoon, so I'm going to break his balls and see what the latest yacking is.

Update: Apparently, I'm told Brian Kelly is the second coming of Ara Parseghian, or something. I mentioned how this feels a lot light what was going on after Bob Davie was fired. First, O'Leary was the greatest thing since double-ply, and then Ty Willingham was going to do amazing things for ND recruiting. Fickle bunch. Amusing to follow.

7. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

At this point I think that Weis will accept what Notre Dame gives him and go back to the NFL. He's been so thoroughly beaten down by the critics that he now says that he wouldn't even send his son to Notre Dame, I doubt that he'll drag this out for longer than he needs to.

I also am not sure that Brian Kelly is interested in going to South Bend. He's building a legitimate powerhouse right now in Cincinnati, the kind that will allow him to get just about any open job in the country in a few years. I think he waits it out one or two more seasons.

8. Sundayjack

I read this morning that Charlie's CA recruiting tour after the Stanford game has been canceled. Dun-dun-duuuuuuuuun.

9. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

Need some help on this one... what are the ACT entrance requirements at ND?

Isn't that what hamstrings their recruiting?

10. JetsNation06

There's only a handful of coaches in the country that wouldn't take the ND job. Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll are the most notable as they already have multiple national titles under their belt and will always be in the running for more in the future.

There's too much downside to their legacies if they fail at ND.

Whereas Kelly doesn't have a legacy yet and no matter how strong of a program he turns Cincy into, it will never have the national cache that an ND, Florida or USC carries.

It's all upside for Kelly to take the ND job and try to take them to national prominence once again.

If he fails he just ends up back at a Cincy type program for the rest of his career.

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I have been on the Brian Kelly bandwagon since late 2007.............

Bring him in if you can.

I think a sleeper/darkhorse could be the Ex Navy and current Ga Tech coach Paul Johnson. I woulden't want to see it since I am not a big fan of that option offense and don't think ND will translate well to the offense but I have heard minor rumblings on his opening.

12. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Bob Stoops has been mentioned as a guy that has interest in the job and someone Notre Dame will talk to.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't understand coaches eagerness to jump out of the Big East. it's an automatic BCS conference, and isn't terribly competitive, so if you start the season ranked high enough, you have an easier chance to roll a 1 loss or undefeated season into the BCS title game. why bail on that to go someplace tougher? win one at a non-traditional football powerhouse like the Big East teams and you are a legend. not only that, but if you are that good you could win multiple.

14. Sundayjack

ND's 5-star defensive recruit, Chris Martin, just decommitted. He's been a verbal since last February. Tough break, since defense is what has been killing Notre Dame.

15. osucollegebuckeye

osucollegebuckeye New Member

Weis only has 1 's' IMHO

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I heard on the FAN today that Brian Billick is a quiet possibility.

I would love Billick coming to Notre Dame. He's got everything you would want in a Head Coach and players would die for him.

Him and Kelly are my two choices.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not a Notre Dame fan, but I love watching them play. If Urban Meyer stays at Florida, then Brian Kelly has to be who they hire.

18. JetsNation06

It will be Kelly because of all the reasons I stated in an earlier post above. I'm willing to bet my next commission check (which is a big one) on it. As good as he can make Cincy in the Big East, he will never get the true national recognition he deserves or seeks until he turns around a marquis national program like ND.

Neither Meyer, nor Carroll, nor Stoops will take the risk of failure that comes with any new job. They all have national titles under their belt.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

One more guy who I wouldn't sleep on: Skip Holtz. If Notre Dame gets rebuffed by Stoops, Kelly and the other top tier candidates then bringing in Lou's son is exactly the kind of thing they'd do.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie