Kerry Rhodes (BENCHED!)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HarveyTheJetFan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I haven't been this high on a new safety since we drafted Jon McGraw in 02.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay, but does he still get to go over to the opposing bench before gametime and engage in trash-talking shoving matches?

3. dankingfish13

dankingfish13 Member

Sparano benched Porter 2 weeks ago for "undisclosed reasons"......for basically running his mouth and not doing his job on the field (ZERO tackles against New England). Porter comes back last week with 2 sacks, 7 solo & 1 asst.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

What kind of draft picks do you think we could get if we decided to trade him close to draft time?

Then we can draft a DL, and SS.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I doubt we trade Rhodes. This is a test by Rex of Rhodes' makeup, as well as a message. It tells the team that no one is untouchable, and everyone is accountable.

Rex has done his job this week, that's for sure.

Now, will Kerry learn from this? That's the question.

6. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

I like this part of the article, "have never been a fan of Eric Smith, but if anything, he can knock someone into next week."

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

......Taylor Mays anyone ?

8. Section 227. Row 5

It's probably a little late and a dollar short, but something had to be done. I just hope Ryan doesn't take it too far now... that the pendulum doesn't swing to the extreme. A rookie coach can get carried away with stuff this too.

Let it go now and see what happens this Sunday. I'm quite sure the message got out to everyone on the team, loud and clear:

"WE DON'T WIN GAMES BY TALKING. I WANT PLAY-MAKERS, NOT TALKERS."

9. Brian2008

Brian2008 New Member

Good.:up: Rhodes deserves his benching. He seems more committed to his acting/modeling, than he is to this team. Hopefully this wakes Kerry up!

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there's more to this than we're being told. Maybe Rex will shed some light in his press conference today.

11. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

this is awesome news to wake up to!

12. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

Rex definitely sending a message here. I like it.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I would argue that it's not a day late or dollar short. It's not January, and the Jets still have football ahead of them. Granted, it's almost surely too late for it to get us into the playoffs, but it could be the week that turns the season back around. That's a huge thing to build off for next year.

It will be a lot easier for Rex to sell the team on making a run in 2010 if they finish 2009 on a high note. That can't be discounted.

Well, Manish Mehta broke the story yesterday on Twitter that several of the Jets players had told him that Rhodes was being benched. I doubt we're going to hear the details, but I'm thinking he told everyone during meetings and that Rhodes was going to be made an example of.

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

He deserves it.

15. Section 227. Row 5

I just wish it had come several weeks or a month ago, that's what I meant by a day late and a dollar short. Bart Scott and Kerry Rhodes have been shooting their mouths off for months now. Scott's going to put this one "out of the game," Rhodes with the constant nonsense, then the visit to the Miami bench, and they were doing this crap after we got our asses kicked even. Kris Jenkins even alluded to this over a month ago, about he wanted the team to "do their talking on the field." Who was he addressing when he made that comment?

There was an attitude developing and I think even Ryan is unwittingly to blame to some degree with, "We'll kick their ass." Fine if you do, but if you don't, you look like an asshole. Jenkins wanted it toned down, he was trying to put the brakes on it.

So here we are, "kicking ass" at 4-6. Somewhere between 3-0 and 4-6 there was a realization by Ryan that maybe we need to execute better on the field and kick ass instead of talking about kicking ass. I'm just sayin' that I wish he had come out a little earlier with this, although I realize it's difficult to curb if you're partially responsible for that locker room mentality to begin with.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No I hear you. I understood what you were saying, and I actually agree with your intended point. I actually used what you said to highlight something important though; while it should have been done weeks ago, it's better that it was at least done now, rather than in January or February.

Like I said, at least there is time for the revised message to sink in and pay dividends before the season is finished.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i didn't actually think he would get benched. hopefully this will be what he needs to remove his head from his ass. it's gonna be hard to get any attention when he is sitting on the bench.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I just hope this wakes Kerry Rhodes up. I dont want to see him traded but his production has not been there since the end of 2007.

19. Section 227. Row 5

I watch SNY every night after the games and pay particular attention to the live, after-game statements by Ryan, Sanchez and others. They're important statements because these guys have no time to rehearse or think through the best, "correct" statements to make in front of the media. The thoughts are raw and candid, as you might expect after, say, the 2nd Miami loss, for example. So these PCs, the one's right after the games, are very telling.

And there's been a noticable humbling effect on Ryan... you could almost see it ratcheting down with every loss. He's become much more contrite... even to the point of complimenting the other team after we get our ass kicked.

So, this is something that you could almost see brewing in his mind over the past month or so... most noticably as we were going into the Bye with the loss. As you say, it's not too late, but I just wish some action such as this had happened a little earlier. It's not all Rhodes, but I think Rhodes is the Poster Boy right now, and that's okay... if anyone deserves it, it's him.

Now, what can Ryan learn from this? He can learn that you don't wait a month to step in and get peoples' minds straight. I hate to keep mentioning Bill Parcells, but he's the best example I know of a coach that learned this early on. HE was not opposed to getting into Phil Sims' face, even on the sidelines and in front of 60 million viewers. I'm saying this because I would not be surprised to see something like this with Sanchez at some point. He has to protect the ball. Ryan told him about this several weeks ago, and look at some of those metnal mistakes last Sunday. If it happens again, Ryan needs to unload. If Ryan wants to be that head coach that's truly feared and respected by the entire team, he needs to get things straight quickly, and do it no matter who the player is... even your not-so-fair-haired, USC Golden Boy from Southern Californication.

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

He was underachieving, but do we really think Eric Smith is the better option?