The Being Sick of / Benching of Kerry Rhodes thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Nov 15, 2009.

?

Does Kerry Rhodes want to be a great football player?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2009.
  1. Yes, he is working hard, but the big plays are just not happening.

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No, he has used the NFL to make money and become popular.

186 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get Oakland's first from the Pats. Bill might be more willing to deal with Rex since he's not Mangini.

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

at this point i would probably take it, even though i hate deals within the division.

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If you told me in the morning that

a) it rained thick sheets of elephant dung last night
    or
    b) the Pats traded a first-rounder for Kerry Rhodes,

I would find a pair of rugged, thigh-high boots before heading outdoors.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just stay inside?

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Ah, nice try willie, but I never said I wouldn't stay inside. I said I would find the boots BEFORE going outside. Which I wouldn't, unless something drastic happened.

Like...

Let's say it subsequently started raining elephant dung INSIDE my house. In that event, I would find the boots and venture outside where the dung was only on the ground and no longer airborne. (Or, if I were incredibly lucky, there was no dung outside at all -- just inside -- and Kerry Rhodes had been traded for a first-round pick!)

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Which now has me wondering about a trade whereby the Jets trade Rhodes for Oakland's first, plus it's raining shit inside my house.

Tough call. Oakland's first will be a very high pick...

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I think Jones drew stopped himself on that play. Hes a smart football player who knew any score beats us and to get time off the clock. Rhodes get no props what so ever!

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So I notice that there wasn't an apology in there...

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

talk to Jtuds....he's more qualified to make apologies.

10. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I think it is like a 'yute'

11. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

New York Jets safety Kerry Rhodes defends off-field pursuits

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:00 AM

http://http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/11/21/2009-11-21_new_york_jets_kerry_rhodes_defends_self_offfield_pursuits.html

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes is up in arms over fact that he hasn?t picked off a pass since Dec. 14, an 11-game stretch.
    Kerry Rhodes knows what the perception is.
    He's supposed to be the Jets' ball-hawking version of Ed Reed in Rex Ryan's defense but he hasn't been making plays. So that surely means he has been too preoccupied doing photo shoots, commercials and appearing in music videos rather than spending time in the film room, right?

"It is a little bit misleading," Rhodes said of the perception that he is more Hollywood than bringing the wood on the field. "People think I do more than what I actually do. At the end of the day, I do my work."

Tomorrow against the Patriots, Rhodes will be looking for his first interception since Dec. 14 against the Bills. He currently is mired in an 11-game interception drought, and making matters worse, he hasn't picked off Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in his last eight games against New England.

The Jets will need Rhodes to step up because fellow safety Jim Leonhard may be a game-time decision with a surgically repaired thumb. Leonhard, who went through a limited practice Friday, will wear a cast if he plays.

Rhodes feels as if he has been the Jets safety who has been poked with pins and needles this season.

"It's like somebody's got a pin on me right now, got a voodoo spell on me," Rhodes said. "I dive for the ball low, it goes over my head. I break on one good, the quarterback throws it high. It's just one of those things right now."

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who said there's only one Reed, was asked about Rhodes' work ethic this week when discussing the safety's season thus far.

"I don't have an issue with it," Pettine said. "Kerry has a good feel for what we're doing. Can we as a coaching staff police what our guys do when they're outside the building? No. We can recommend. He's good in the meeting room. He knows his job. As coaches, we all want him to be like us, which probably isn't a good thing."
    Rhodes thinks he just needs a few plays to break his way to change the way some perceive him.
    "Go look at Ed Reed's stats right now," Rhodes said. "He has got two interceptions. In this league, plays come in bulk. Look at Darren Sharper (who has seven interceptions), last year he played OK and people thought he was at the end of his career. If I get on a streak here and get a couple, next thing you know, I got over six (interceptions) and 'he didn't have a bad year at all.'"

12. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

wow so the next thing I know and he'll have over six picks.... he just doesn't get it...

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

At least he's not speaking in 3rd person yet...

14. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

i have always supported rhodes, but he is starting to piss me off, make a damn play!

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NY Jets safety Kerry Rhodes frustrated by inability to make big playsBy Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger November 20, 2009, 8:49PM

Kerry Rhodes, left, can only watch, along with teammate Darrelle Revis, top, as the Jaguars' Maurice Jones-Drew scores a touchdown last weekend.Kerry Rhodes jokes that somewhere in the mysterious world of black magic, a high priest is doing a number on him, undermining his season by sticking pins in a voodoo doll clad in a Jets No. 25 jersey.

Just when Rhodes has been in position to make a big play this season, it seems the high priest performs his ritual.

The Jets safety, who was a playmaking machine in 2006 and 2007 when he had a combined nine interceptions, seven sacks and five forced fumbles, has no interceptions, no sacks and no forced fumbles this season.

Its like somebody has a pin in me right now, said Rhodes Friday.

But while Rhodes blames his lack of big plays on the supernatural, his critics point to his off-the-field interests. Nicknamed Hollywood, some say Rhodes is more concerned about his next commercial shoot, acting gig, modeling job, magazine cover or music video than football.

Rhodes, a fifth-year pro who signed a five-year, $33.5 million contract in April 2008, insists thats not the case and that perception isnt reality. He said he has done only one commercial, a local mens store spot with Giants wide receiver Steve Smith, in the past year.

If people think youre not doing what they think you should be doing, it has to be something that they point to, said Rhodes, who will face his arch nemesis, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Sunday in New England. If they think that, they can think that.

Im giving my all to football. Football is what does it for me. I know that. There is other stuff I want to do but thats after football.

Although Rhodes hasnt been the difference-maker everyone was expecting in coach Rex Ryans defense, like perennial Ravens Pro Bowler Ed Reed, that doesnt mean hes not doing his job.

Rhodes has been outstanding in run support with 43 tackles (fifth on the team) and the Jets rank third in the NFL in pass defense and total defense. The unit has given up just 19 pass plays of 20 yards or more. Only the Colts have allowed fewer.

Even so, expectations are high.

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says he knows it has been a frustrating year for Rhodes but he maintains Rhodes grades out as one of our higher guys percentage wise each week.

Pettine added that he has no problem with Rhodes work ethic, although he points out that Rhodes isnt your classic gym rat.

He knows his job, Pettine said. I think as coaches we all want to be of the mindset that our guys are all going to be gym rats and football junkies and when they leave here, theyre going to go home and study tape. Not everyone is like that.

Rhodes, who doesnt deny hes not a homebody, said his main concern is to not force anything and stay disciplined, let the game come to him.

If we start winning and the plays start coming, Ill be happy. Right now, its about getting this team to win.

16. 624

624 Banned

"meeting over im in my room getting mind right to music and thinking about plays that are out there to make 2morrow believe it or not! lol" -Kerry Rhodes tweet

no I don't believe it

17. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

I was pissed at Rhodes when he gave up the big play last week, but as a team we have 11 turnovers (I believe)...which is not a lot. Teams know they just don't have to make mistakes to beat our team...They run the ball and throw the ball away. If we continue to improve our pass rush and can get a lead...We will be dangerous, whether it be down the stretch or next season.

I don't necessarily like Rhodes attitude, but he could become a big time player when qbs start forcing passes against a blitz...

18. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

KR was on NFL network tonight talking about his ball-hawking skills while wearing his nice suit complete with his Diamond earings. I almost puked up in my mouth and had to leave the damn room. What a complete friggin' Jack Ass! All I can say is he is softer then the guy on a can of Cinnamin Rolls. He wasnt an Ed Reed, nor' ever will be since he plays not to hit or get hurt. I'd trade him for a First Rounder and a can of Bisquit Rolls.

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

This thread needs resurrecting!!

20. chinopec

chinopec Member

kerry rhodes is asking what the license plate of that car was. its like he scared to hit somebody.