B. Schottenheimer - Favre Quote on Playcalling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Blocker, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In an article about the recent play of Brett Favre there was a quote apparently of something Favre said to Steve Mariucci about Schott and the playcalling for the Jets last year. It probably goes into the mix in the discussion that flared up here again last week.

Anyway, here's the quote:

"Favre even told Mariucci that there were times last season when, on third-and-6 for instance, the Jets? offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, would ask Favre what he wanted to run. And Favre would be thinking: Just call the play; I just learned this offense,? Mariucci said. "

Here's the link to the main article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sports/football/27fast.html?_r=1&ref=football

Now I know some will say "Favre is a D-bag!" Which is not the point. And neither am I personally saying this means Schott sucks. But imo it goes into the mix.

Where I think it goes is, it's one thing to talk over the game with your Qb, especially a very experienced one, before the game, and of course on the sidelines and for TO's. But to leave the play call up in the air while the game is going on? I guess that bothered Favre somewhat.

Again, this seems to be a quote going through Mariucci. Maybe that changes its import, somewhat.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I don't mind it at all. Favre has been around for 18 years, Schotty had been an OC for what 2.5 seasons at the time? Schotty comes to a situation where he wants some input and asks the QB who's seen it all what he thinks will work here.

Betcha anything Peyton Manning gets that question 65 times a game.

3. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

This.

(filler)

4. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

im pretty sure peyton manning changes the play whenever he feels like it, they give him almost complete freedom. theres no problem with this, favre is as experienced as they come, and if he knows the playbook too, he should take it as a complement and choose himself

5. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

This is just Favre trying to deflect any criticism for what went down last season.

Regardless of he said/he said, Schotty and Brett were responsible for executing plays that ultimately lead to wins. They both failed. Schottenheimer has moved on. Favre apparantly hasn't because he has a puzzling obsession with protecting his legacy.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yeah, we can't make much of this. I just think Shcott was showing Favre some respect. Not only was he in the league for 18 years, but Favre was older than Schott.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

When a guy is still learning an offense it seems like a strange thing to do. Peyton Manning has been running the same offense since he was a rookie. Favre never called plays like Manning does either. Terrible comparison.

Manning could probably step right in and be an offensive coordinator for any NFL team tomorrow. He's on another level when it comes to studying film and calling plays than any QB in the NFL today or in recent memory.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

"Favre's a douchbag". End Quote.

9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

That is just the point though, Favre probably didn't have that good a grasp of the playbook at the time.

It is one thing to ask an experienced guy like Favre what he thinks, but if you are in the game you should probably be making the calls on what the play is and if the QB sees something the OC doesn't he can say something or audible.

It's tough to know what is what here due to the fact that Favre has been a bit of a douchebag about things, but in a way it kinda confirms why I feel like it seems as if Schotty sometimes plays pin the tail on the next offensive play at times.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Who was the guy calling the play when the Jets won the Super Bowl?

Joe Namath

11. WhiteShoeWillis

lol.

The game has changed a wee bit since then.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am far from a Schott hater, and do not blame him for the loss to Buffalo.

But I tend to agree here with Jetzz.

Favre is not Manning. That is a crappy analogy. And seeing something on the line doesn't mean the Qb should always be expected to make the call. When the OC makes a call going into the huddle, perhaps it's the play to use because HE has seen something, from the sidelines or from game fotos, that the Qb has not had the benefit of seeing and understanding.

Another point is that Favre seemed to be saying it was not something he was comfortable with. Again, if that is really what happened, you would think they would have worked this out in advance.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Schoddy and Favre are both sketchy at times. Add 2 sketchy people in a do or die moment and you invariably will end up with sketchy at some point.

Schoddy says: what are you comfortable with
    Favre says: good lord I'm freaking out because I'm on a new team and I also don't know the playbook. Can't think right now, just give me a play.

Or..maybe Favre never wanted to be on the Jets and just decided he'd put as little into it as possible.

#13 JohnnyJohnson, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  14. xxedge72x

Sometimes I think the quarterbacks should still call the plays... they have a better feel for what's going on than anyone in the stadium, and unless they're a complete dunce or can't handle pressure, some would do a better job.

Peyton Manning case in point.

Pennington probably would've been great calling his own plays too.

I don't know if Sanchez could... but it'd be interesting to think about nonetheless.

15. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Agreed...lets see what kind of stories come out next year about the Vikings. I think I may see a pattern developing..........

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Please see my previous post about Manning. He is on a completely different level when it comes to that sort of thing than any QB.

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I had to double check who the OP was. After reading it I could have sworn it was VG56 that posted another troll.

18. xxedge72x

No doubt. He's alone because he excels at everything and is weak at nothing. The best QB in the NFL without a doubt.

19. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Sure Farve is a douche....Sure shotty sucks. 1+1=2

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

our offensive coordinator was asking one of the best qbs to ever play the game what play he wanted to run? sounds like something a reasonable person would have done.