Best Punt Fake I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Uh it was definately a designed play. its obvious. Look at the blocking.

2. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

i was laughing my head off...weatherford was running for his life, he didnt want to get hit!!

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Nope, my miscommunication. I was just saying in general the CS should be given credit, not directed toward you.

I understand your point, and you are right.

Just poor tone in my post. :beer:

4. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

What blocking?! Yes, the line blocks initially, as they would on any punt. Then they take off downfield. The Jets who saw Weatherford, they blocked for him, but everyone else was running down the field to cover the return.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

You need to watch the play again.

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Believe me, I'm trying to find a clip.

7. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

It would be great if someone can put the video up.

Thanks in advance

8. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

We have had more fake punts this year then in the last decade lol. But all of them worked out!

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

oh the coaching staff should totally be given credit...it was a great call...it actually seems like this coaching staff knows JUST when to fake the punt. they have faked for 100% success this season so far.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That was funny seeing Rex laugh his ass off after that play.

The entire Raiders team seemed to be running with him, that shit was funny.

11. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

I think that if he had just casually jogged with the ball behind his back, he could have gone a lot farther. How great would it be to see all of the raiders looking for the ball, while Weatherford casually walks into the endzone.

12. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Do you think Weatherford has final say on a fake? Get real. Westhoff makes those calls and it seems Rex enjoys and allows those plays to be sucessfull.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I can't find a clip. Basically the Jets held blocks and pushed all the Raiders out of the center of the LOS. Weatherford just faked the kick, tucked the ball and ran right up the middle of the field. There didnt seem to be any puntblock pressure on Weatherford and he could have kicked if he wanted to.

14. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I agree. Unless it's some kind of botched snap or something, it's hard to see them giving him the option to run it when they're deep in their own territory like that. I have to think it was premeditated.

15. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

Surely teams are going to be wise to this now. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love that the punter gets to do something else with the ball. But the surprise element must be over by now.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Haha yeah man they were running upfield for about 5-6 yards before they realized Weatherford was running with it. Al Davis must of shat himself!

17. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Which keeps the defenders in thebox and allows a return to be set up. That's fine by me as well.

18. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

You know its a great fake when it fakes half the fans watching it on TV.

Of course some players were playing it like he was actually punting. If they weren't behaving like Weatherford had punted the ball, it wouldn't have been a fake punt. If the guys outside weren't running down the field like they were trying to cover the punt, the Raiders wouldnt have run with them, and they would have been at the line of scrimmage to break our punter in half.

It amazes me that we can have success on fake punts week after week. How can any Raider player possibly claim that no they weren't expecting a fake today, and yes they've been paying attention in meetings and watching film.

Saying you believe Westhoff is the best in the business is like Peggy Hill saying that in her opinion tomato sauce is the perfect compliment to spaghetti.

19. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

That Peggy Hill reference went way over my head. However, I have to think that Westhoff watched the first punt (the real one) and when he saw that the Raiders showed no hint of looking for the fake, he was confident that on their second punt, the Raiders would do the same. He was dead right.

From now on, i wouldn't be surprised to see opposing teams keep a "spy" at the LOS to prevent any more fakes. If one guy doesn't bite, the play probably ends up in a turnover on downs, considering he has to run from at least 10 yds behind the LOS.

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I know the Jets were up 14-0 but still it takes some balls and a lack of respect for your opponent's offense when you fake a punt on 4-7 from your own 27.