2009 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsNation06, Sep 5, 2009.

1. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

we beat arky. pretty good, too.

auburn next week.

snead continues to get his act together we might be 10-2 with bcs bowl potential..would be a nice salvage.

great games today all across the board. gotta love bama/ut finish.

2. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

3. Jam.

Jam. Banned

what an eloquent response and debate point.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think he's the same guy that was crying about the maturity level on this board.

The fact of the matter is like Tebow or not everything Electric said about him was correct. It's like Tyler Hansborough, love him or hate he's one of the best CBB players ever regardless of what he does in the NBA.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Don't get your hopes up. Snead blows...

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Terrible playcalling and downright idiocy from the offensive coordinator (coupled with miserable defensive play) killed the 'Canes. Didn't look like anything resembling a top ten team yesterday.

Side note, CJ Spiller is a star.

7. RevisOfNazareth

no, he just needs to lay off the blow and stop letting his girl problems show in public at the bars.

and if not, nutt needs to throw in stanley or cotten. they're going to be great when their times come.

is fresno coming to oxford? what year? you should make the trip.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

CJ Spiller is one of those guys who plays for a mediocre program an thus flies way under the radar, but he's gonna turn a lot of heads in the NFL. He's the real deal.

Also, Mark Ingram gets more and more impressive every week. The media loves Tebow so he'll probably win the Heisman despite not having the best numbers, but I would give it to Ingram if I had a vote.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Supposedly Fresno will play Ole Miss in Oxford next season...you bet your ass I'll be there, drunk as shit, cheering on the Dogs.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't know if I'd call Clemson a mediocre program. They are just rebuilding and it looks to me like they hired the wrong coach, even though Swinney is winning some big games. I'm not sure he was cut out to coach a big program YET.

CJ Spiller has been one of the best running backs in the nation since his freshman year at Clemson - he's never, ever flown under the radar.

Spiller will be a big time NFL running back if he's paired up with a powerful back in a committee.

11. RevisOfNazareth

just pour it in a solo cup so UPD doesnt try to ruin your experience.

i'll make it a point to drive in for that game if none else..i just havent figured out what im doing after may.

12. Barry the Baptist

I may be alone in this thought but my guess is no....

How great would it be if ...

One of the SEC Schools
    Texas
    Iowa
    Cinci
    TCU
    Boise

all finished unbeaten? Could that finally give us the playoff we all want.

This year seems to have doomsday for the BCS all over it. I read that it is possible that a one loss SEC team Florida/Alabama should they lose in the SEC title game still could play in the mythical title game over an undefeated Texas, Cinci and Iowa. Imagine the outrage from those conferences should that happen. I'm hoping against hope we end up with 6 unbeatens. It's certainly possible

Iowa goes to Ohio State and that is likely the last chance they have at a loss
    TCU has Utah at home and should run the table
    Florida and Alabama should run the table
    Boise has their toughest game at home against Nevada
    Cinci has the toughest road at for WVU and at Pitt
    Texas has Oklahoma St in Stillwater but smooth sailing after that
    USC is somehow still in the mix but a one loss USC does not deserve a shot over unbeaten teams/

13. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

It would be awesome if there are 6 unbeaten teams and 1 loss USC makes it to the title game. If that doesn't force a playoff I don't know what will. Even better if ND can steal a BCS spot at 10-2.

#593 wildthing202, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  14. Barry the Baptist

Honestly I think the hypothetical Florida losing to Alabama in the SEC title game and then playing Alabama in the mythical title game over an unbeaten Iowa, Cinci, and Texas would be great. As much as I'd hate to see it in the long run it would be the best thing for the sport because it all but gurauntees the death of the BCS. Nobody cares about TCU or Boise getting screwed but if Texas or a Big 10 team get screwed it's a nail in the coffin. I've never been a Big 10 fan but I am rooting my ass off for Iowa to go unbeaten.

15. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Why do you keep calling it a mythical title game? Just wondering...

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Because as long as the two teams playing in the game are decided by polls and rankings that are formulated by human opinion, the title game will always be "Mythical". Hence why he is saying it would be great to have all these teams go undefeated to force a playoff which would decide the games on the field and not decide them by some polls.

17. Barry the Baptist

Like the poster above me said ...

Can you honestly tell me that a 1 loss Florida team was better than an unbeaten Utah team that spanked the team that was #1 heading into the SEC Title game? Your opinion says they were better but if they don't play do you really know for fact? To go even further Texas , Oklahoma split the Big 12 yet because an archaic system the Sooners get the nod. Can you honestly say Florida would have beaten Texas? We really don't know

In 2003 LSU and USC split with LSU getting the BCS and USC getting the AP. They didn't have the chance to play each other.

In 2004 Utah and Auburn were both undefeated yet both didn't even have the chance to play each other let alone play for a national title. Both had to stand by and watch USC destroy an Oklahoma team that got spanked in the Big 12 Title Game.

In 2001 Nebraska had 70 put up on them by Colorado in their season finale yet somehow found themselves playing for a national title* just a few weeks later.

Can you imagine if the team that won the NIT was also declared the National Champion? It doesn't make sense and neither does this joke of a system. There is always going to be controversy and as far as I'm concerned until every team has a realistic shot to win the title CFB will be a great sport from September - December but nothing mote than an exhibition from the bowl season on. Until CFB comes up with a way to determine a real champion that decides the games on the field it will always be a mythical title to me.

18. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Whoah okay big rant, lol.

I haven't been following College Football very closely before this season, so I didn't know all it's flaws.

19. Barry the Baptist

It's ok... the BCS was put in place to "fix these flaws" but in reality it was just a way to make more $$$

3 times in the 90's there were split national titles

Colorado/G Tech in 1990
    Miami/Washington in 1991
    Nebraska/Michigan in 1997

I'm one of the few guys on here that doesn't root for a major program from a major conference so I am biased when the little guys get screwed. I'm always partial when less traditional schools from big conferences make big runs...give me a Oklahoma State vs Iowa national title game over an Ohio State vs Alabama any day of the week.

20. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I actually think that so far Swinney's done a nice job cleaning up Bowden's mess, but I think that Clemson's longtime status as a decent at best team in a decent at mest conference warrants the label mediocre, especially because they seem to struggle to turn so much talent into big wins.

And I do think that Spiller flies under the radar a little bit; he was overshadowed by James Davis for a while, and while he's always gotten recognition for his considerable talents the media forgets about him when they forget about Clemson half way through the season.