Sanchez Admits He Has to Keep Emotions in Check

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 21, 2009.

1. pantograph3

pantograph3 New Member

Sanchez appears to have all the right things: he's smart, he seems like a leader. Nobody can argue that he doesn't have talent. I think games like last week's Bills game and the saints game were going to happen - it was just a matter of time. It's about learning from your mistakes, though. If he can do this, it's all good.

I'm glad Rex doesn't want to bench Sanchez. Pulling Sanchez now would mean we have absolutely no chance for anything this season. I have faith that Sanchez will improve in every game. I have more faith in him than I do in Clemens, that's for sure.

I think consistency (meaning good games - not the bad ones) will come over time.

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

keep your head up man, youll be good. I have to call him man because hes 3 years older than me, i feel like an ass calling him "kid"

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

He says all the right things he just needs to keep all of that in mind when he's actually out there on Sundays. It's easy to lose that perspective in the heat of the moment.

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the big thing is he sees it. He didn'tm coe out with some BS about play calling or execution - he said plain and simple emotions got the best of him. You know he started thinking too much, trying to do too much, and getting outside of what he should be doing. Huge bounceback game in Oakland is needed - HUGE!
    We travel back to face the Dolphins at 4-3 and it is fun again.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

exactly. I was very happy when I read this and saw his presser today. This was the most worrisome thing about his bad game to me. When I saw him acknowledge it and understand that he needs to correct it I felt a lot better about it. He'll get it right.

6. Ted

Ted Member

Stafford has clearly performed better than Sanchez so far. Sanchez's biggest problem was on the sidelines during the Bills game. On the field he made some good reads and some poor decisions. It was also his first cold game with wind in the Meadowlands. This week against the Raiders will say a lot about his emotional makeup.

IMO he'll be a good QB for many years to come.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Playing in the NFL is tough. Being a QB is even tougher. Doing it at the age of 22? I could not have handled that at 22.... and probably couldn't handle it now either. The pressure is monumental.

The NFL is a world stage. You have to be a very tough nut to hold up, and lots of promising young players have not been able to. The good ones do, the great ones somehow learn to thrive.

Which category will Sanchez land in? No one knows. The Jets, and by extension as a life long Jets fan, we have an awful lot of marbles are riding on this kid. The future of this franchise is pretty much in his hands for the next several years.

His demeanor on the sidelines last Sunday has got to change. He got down, looked scared and wasn't talking to anyone. Where the hell were the coaches? Right now, Sanchez could go the way of David Carr or Peyton Manning, or somewhere in between. His demeanor on that sidline was not a good sign as far as I am concerned. I think he would benefit from watching a game or two, I believe he needs some time to regroup and recover from this loss, but I doubt that happens.

I was a Jets fan before most of the posters on this board were even born, so please, don't tell me anything stupid, like I want to see Sanchez fail. I want him to be the best QB in the history of the franchise. I just worry about how he is being handled by this CS. This was a win now team, and that was an awful lot of pressure to put on a 22 year old kid playing in NY. I think he's being rushed.

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Oh yeah, Stafford looked great last Sunday. And the Sunday before that. And the Sunday before that, when he ACTUALLY PLAYED, but was sidelined due to the same injury he suffered in high school. His three picks, no touchdowns in the first week was a stellar performance also. He's clearly outplayed Sanchez, definitely. Where's my fucking sarcasm emoticon?!

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Thank you! Stafford has only played, what 3 games? And his play has ranged from terrible to pretty good just like Sanchez. It's wayyy too early to call a winner here. They have both played like rookie QB's but have flashed very good potential at times. To say that one has clearly outplayed the other is pretty ridiiculous.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

With all due respect....you were ripping Sanchez to shreds in this thread...saying he SUCKS and whatnot

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=49895&page=3

Now you're blaming the CS on how he should be handled?!

make up your mind.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

12. ThunderbirdJet

I did rip into him. He collapsed. He certainly sucked. I was angry and frustrated to see him going backwards. I knew there would be setbacks, but that was an historically bad performance.

Given all of that, I have to say he sucks and there is no hope or can't have the opinion that he isn't being coached very well?

He should have been pulled, I said that in the other thread. I also asked why no coaches were talking to him on the sidelines. If they were going to trot him back out there again, they should have been talking to him, getting his head back in the game. Or maybe you think letting him stew on a Gatorade cooler by himself was some sort of brilliant motivational technique?

I have made up my mind. He isn't ready. I haven't given up on him. I don't think he is being very well coached right now. I think he could use a game or two with a clipboard right now. Take some of the pressure off. Give him some time to put this game behind him. He is still talking about how let things get to him last Sunday. He needs a breather. That is up to the CS.

What happens if he has another horrific performance in Oakland? I'd rather not risk that. He could use some time to regroup IMO.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He looks like a rookie to me. Some very good performances and a couple of stinkers. He bounced back from a bad performance inside on the road in one of the toughest venues to play in and had a great game in Miami with the spotlight shining right on him followed by a bad game against the Bills.

He cost us exactly one game and the truth is he got us in position to win that game anyway. He won us the NE game with a stellar drive to start the 3rd quarter. The team isn't great hard to see how we are more than 3 & 3 with Clemens or 2nd string Vet at this point.

What happens if he's great in Oakland? What happens if we start Clemens and he sucks in Oakland?

The kid has to work through it and the rest of the team has to play allot better than they did the last two weeks to get this thing moving forward.

Huge over reaction based on last week.

14. ........

........ Trolls

MBGreen is absolutely right, so I'm not sure why you're arguing. Let's not try to pretend that you were being fair the other day. You weren't suggesting he get more time. In fact:

You were done with him. You were ready to write off his career right away. How many times did you say he flat out was garbage and dismiss him entirely?

So now you've decided that it's the fault of the coaching staff and that, given more time, he could very well become a great QB? That's great, and I applaud that. However, don't go pretending that you didn't give up on him on Sunday. Nothing in your posts above indicates anything temporal. You threw him under the bus, and not just for that game like most of us who agreed he was terrible and cost us the game. You dismissed him like another Losman. Again, I think it's great you changed your mind, but quit acting like you were being patient with him this whole time.

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Well, after that performance, there isn't much way that he won't improve this week.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this post is bang on....

17. ThunderbirdJet

IgnatiusJReilly
    This message is hidden because IgnatiusJReilly is on your ignore list.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The fact that he is showing glimpses of greatness is a good sign, that is really all you can ask for out of a rookie QB. His demeanor on the field on Sunday was concerning but his press conference afterward was refreshing. I loved seeing him visibly upset at his press conference. It was nice to see a QB that cares and is as hurt about his performance and the outcome as us fans were. I began to hate Bret Favre last year after his post game press conference and he didn't seem like he had a care in the world after just blowing a huge game while I felt like my whole world came crashing down.

He does need to control his on field demeanor though and he will. The kid is 22 years old and learning how to be an NFL QB. I remember the exact problem with Eli Manning early in his career. We need to remember he is a rookie QB, he has all the talent it takes to be a great one, we just need to be patient, he wants it as bad as we do.

19. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

My my how touchy people get when their own truths are revealed to them...

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Spot on...