When is the last time Kerry Rhodes made a big play?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheGatoradeBoy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. TheGatoradeBoy

TheGatoradeBoy Active Member

2007?!?

He went from one of the most underrated to one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He is a pedestrian FS, average at best. Can't tackle, and always a step too late to the action.

For all that talking he does, he definitely hasn't backed it up.

#1 TheGatoradeBoy, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Kerry had a pretty good game on Sunday.

3. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i bet you judge QB's solely on QB rating too.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Kerry Rhodes is a B/B+ safety in a league defined by a few A/A+ guys. That's just what it is. You'll notice the difference between him and the average safety pretty quickly if we lose him though.

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i think kerry has been very good in pass coverage this year, which was never his forte. i've seen him break up huge passes late in the game this year, and he's been pressuring the QB a few times, stopping runs for losses. kerry's game this week was exceptional.

6. julani

julani New Member

To be fair Kerry has been battling a knee injury of the season.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I was bashing him up until this game, where he made a few decent plays.

If you're expecting him to be the second coming of Ed Reed then I think that it will serve to be a dissapointment.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

what is a big play to you? if it is making a highlight reel interception or hit than it has been awhile. if doing his job and allowing others around him to succeed is a big play than he made one against the pats. without him being in the right position revis can't go for that int like he did. i'm sure he has allowed others around him to make plays by doing his job since then, but that was the first one that came to mind.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A big play is a game-changer that is obvious and clearcut.

I don't think Rhodes has had one of those since 2006. And I'm not exaggerating there.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

He's pretty good at twittering mind you.

11. e-x

e-x New Member

he's 6 regular season games into a brand new/complex defensive scheme

who on the defense HAS looked great? revis and jenkins, and their responsibilities are a lot simpler

12. ukilledkenny

your probably right on that. he has also had very few plays that changed the game negatively for us. seems to me that he is a solid player who is doing what he needs to do most of the time. he has shown the ability to be a game changer, but we haven't seen that in quite some time. it looks like he is just an above average player and nothing more. not the worst thing to have on your team. of course i would prefer him to be making those big plays but he is far from a problem for this team.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Kerry Rhodes is no Darren Sharper...he needs to stfu...The guy has had no picks and has rarely been shown in games.
    Who cares if he tackled against buffalo?

14. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

The guy hasn't been on twitter for a couple days maybe he can focus on making plays now, lol.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He should probably be cut.

16. IvanPSI

IvanPSI New Member

Kerry to me is solid, not spectacular. He excels in pass coverage, and is a good wrap up tackler (not a bone jarring hitter). Reed and Polamalu freelance alot which is why they make those huge plays.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He had that game with a fumble recovery and INT vs. the Rams last year in a blow out win. He has been okay this year.

18. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I think you are spot on here. I have some comments on Kerry aswell.

Our expectations coming into this season were unrealistic for him, almost to a man. We expected him to be Ed Reed or Polamalu or Sanders just because Ryan came in here. His is going to be Kerry Rhodes the same way he always has - why the highlight reel plays have yet to happen, I just don't know. I have seen him a few times making impact plays in running situations at the line. Always nice to see that.

The only issue I have with Kerry Rhodes is what a jackass he makes himself look like anytime he makes a half decent play. He runs about ten yards preening for the cameras doing a little celebration. Give me a break man, go back to the huddle listen to the playcall and do it again. My perception of the guy is that he LOVES the limelight more than he loves football. When he was driven / younger / hungry and on his way up he played to his potential because he had something to prove. He recevied a bit of publicity about being a top 5 saftey in the league and IMO he allowed that to go straight to his head. This business about being an actor, the self proclaimed best looking guy on the jets, the models he dates...GFY Kerry. Play football, do what you do, and keep your pesonal life / interests / relationships / and dance moves after a play or two to yourself. Get back to the attitude you clearly had in 2006-2007.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

[​IMG]

Does anyone honestly believe that Kerry buys his suits in multiples of 3, for $600, all the while bagging the free belts, ties, shirts etc?

20. ukilledkenny

kerry rhodes looks the special olympics star from the movie the ringer. i think his name was jimmy.