One of the Worst QB Performances in NFL History.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 19, 2009.

?

Any Chance we Should Bench Sanchez?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2009.
  1. Yes, let him sit for a few games to get his feet under him.

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Not now, but if he follows up with a repeat performance in Oak.

22 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Not unless he has a string of games like this (3-4 more).

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. No, he needs to take his lumps regardless of how bad he does.

66 vote(s)
    48.9%
  5. Fuck You WSW.

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If I'm Rex Ryan I'm seriously considering benching the kid to let him catch his breath. He's completely regressed since the NO's game and appears to have lost all confidence. If I do stick with him, he's on a REAL short leash.

I know everyone is going to jump all over me and say benching him would kill his confidence. News flash: he has none right now. If benching him destroys his confidence than he's probably not the guy anyway. He seems to have the right mindset to handle this IMO.

Go ahead and flame away.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4309

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm not gonna light you up for your opinion, on this, Willie....because you raise a good point.

But you have to realize that you're playing with fire if you decide to bench Sanchez. He needs to be able to work through this.....P.Manning did it in his rookie year, so did Aikman. Sure, Sanchez has regressed....but the learning curve wasn't conquered in 6 games....we knew there would be highs and lows this season.

Yesterday's game nauseated me to no end....but this experience will make Sanchez stronger.....he's not a stupid kid, he'll learn from this. If there's anything we've learned about Mark Sanchez in the offseason...he's an excellent student of the game.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have never seen a pro Qb play as awful a game as Sanchez did yesterday. It was not just the picks. How about getting sacked and losing like 20 yards? His body language was awful. He said he wanted to get back in there after each int, but he didn't look like that out there.

The problem the Jets face right now is pretty clear - which approach is more likely to damage his long term development, leaving him in to suck and suck some more, or benching him?

Yeah, I know, the third option is leave him in and watch him play well. He did play fairly well against the fish, although he was outplayed by Chad Henne.

But he's heading in the wrong direction, and two of his last three games have been among the worst games I have ever seen a Qb play. Well, the NO game was not as bad as yesterday, but it was pretty putrid.

On the other hand benching him is a big deal, too. I don't know that his mindset would respond to it well.

The Jets need to be very careful now that they not take an approach that makes him more likely to end up as a Ryan Leaf type pick.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I think that if this trend continues, the Jets clearly need to consider benching him if for no other reason than to shield him from the venom of the NY media. This is no different than what the Giants did with Eli and it seemed to work out OK in the long run.

Really though, Ryan should have benched Sanchez after the 3rd Quarter of yesterday's game. There's no way any coach should ever let things get so out of hand.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The difference being..the Giants left Eli in there....and he's a stronger QB today because of it.

Let Sanchez take his lumps...from the media...from the games...he has to learn. I want to see if he has what it takes to deal with the low points in the NFL. We already know he can handle HIGH points.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

to call what i saw yesterday a rookie performance would be giving sanchez way to much credit. that was a scrub performance. i wouldn't accept that from a 4th string rookie let alone a top pick.

he showed improvement in miami, and then regressed at an alarming rate yesterday. he has never played in weather that cold and that windy, but he is a professional now and needs to suck it up and make some plays. i am not going to be calling for his benching yet, but he needs to remove his head from his ass and learn how to play in bad conditions very quickly if we have any chance of him being our qb of the future.

if sanchez can even manage to play a bad game yesterday the jets win the game easily, but that game is in the has this guy ever played football before category.

#6 ukilledkenny, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Lets shut our franchises future down with the taste in his mouth of the one of the worst performances in NFL history to live with. Not only would I not do that, I open up against the Raiders passing the ball down the field right out of the shoot.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

Eli didn't start from day 1, they put him under center while the Giants were in the middle of the playoff hunt. Sanchez has already thrown more INT's than Eli did in his 9 games in '04.

What would be worse, keeping him in and him putting together another terrible performance, or pulling him and letting him "catch his breath"? I dunno, he seems to be sliding down a steep path right now.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we have a winner, folks.

good post, WB.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He's a rookie, he's going to have moments like this. A future HOFer once had 6 INts in a dome in the playoffs. this was Mark's first cold weather game, he'll survive and get better.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

he is not helping this team. he is hurting this team. Its as if the jets are trying to win in spite of Sanchez. Defenses are scheming him because they can see from film that he is making lots of rookie mistakes. As this continues he is forced into making more mistakes and he is losing confidence. Defenses are beating him. He needs to throw the ball away alot more than he does. Also they need to simplify the gameplan because he isn't capable of doing all the things they are asking him to do at this point in his development.

I think the major problems are holding the ball too long, locking on one receiver, not hitting the open receiver, not picking up the stealth DB and trying to force the ball into coverage.

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

He's regressed since Monday night's game? I'm not buying into that.

13. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Agree 100%.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Right against the Pats, Texans, Titans and Phins he didn't help?

Just unreal.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

With virtually no running game on the road in a packed Miami House he lit it up and kept us in a game the D was being bitch slapped in.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Of course we all get what the reference to Eli Manning is intended to mean, but ftr Eli never had a game hisd rookie year as close to as bad as Sanchez was yesterday, or even for that matter in the NO game. Check the stats for 04.

Eli ended up with 6 TD's and 9 ints along with an overall rating of just over 55, but he went up to the mid seventies the two years after that.

I also think Ryan should have put Clemens in there yesterday in the third quarter, although I am not prepared to say Clemens should start the next game.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

your right he has had 4 good games and 2 bad ones. his bad games have both been really bad. he bounced back well after the first one, he can show all of us a lot if he bounces back next week when the weather will be right up his alley.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You can't sit your franchise QB. He needs to work through his problems and get better.

Sorry, but you can't learn to beat pressure by watching. And what are you going to do? Throw Clemens in? For how long?

This is all just complete and utter nonsense. He absolutely sucked yesterday, but he's going to have shitty games in his first year. Everyone knew that.

19. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Exactly, that was a great performance against a great defense.

I'm not usually one to heap blame on the coaching staff (at least not as much as most other fans on this board) but at a certain point you have to stop blaming Sanchez and start wondering why the Jets kept putting the ball in the air. Because clearly Sanchez couldn't handle it yesterday.

Benching him wouldn't accomplish anything positive. The Jets coaching staff needs to remember that they're dealing with the most inexperienced starting QB in the NFL and dial back his responsibility.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WB, I get what you're saying, I really do. I just think maybe he needs a minute to calm down. On the flip side, if he continues to put out performances like he did yesterday when do you finally bench him? And how bad of a taste is that in his mouth?