Clock Management!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Johnny Rico, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

if they call the timeouts all miami does is run the ball more. i don't think it would have made a difference in the end. maybe the offense would have had 30 seconds instead of 6. i am much more concerned with the defense not being able to adjust.

2. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Hindsight is always 20/20.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

30 seconds is a whole lot more than 6. 2 plays? 3 plays? As opposed to one duck hurled on an angle that would have put it into space had it been thrown with enough velocity.

it's just smart football. If he thought they were going to tie it up with a field goal and go to OT, what was the point of holding them? none. You call the TOs just in case you need to score. And they did need to score.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Clueless? You guys are plain wrong...there was absolutely no need to use the TOs. We needed to stop them and we did not.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

It's not hindsight it's just fundamental clock management. It's about "what ifs" It's not about "no that ain't happening"

There was absolutely no evidence that his D was going to come up with the stop, since the whole night they were getting stomped.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Bring back DICK CURL!!!!

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

"But looking back it's still a bit fuzzy...."

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

What good does it do to hold those timeouts?

9. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Tuesday Morning QB's

Give me an F'n break with the time management BS. Rex showed he had faith in the D(They did stop them a few times, it wasn't a given TD) in if not stopping them at least slowing them down. They got lucky at the end and managed to score with just 6 seconds left. If one of those plays don't get out of bounds they would have been forced to kick the FG or better yet run out of time. Some of you people are unbelievable. :shit:

10. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Hell it's late in the game where your D is gassed....call a timeout to give them a breath and hope for the stop.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

That's not luck...that's called arrogant, stupid football. yeah my D is getting their asses handed to them...no they won't score a TD. Suddenly my D will hold.

Right.

How about "Hey my D hasn't played well and they're tired...lets call a time out and give them a chance to talk over how they're going to defend and hell if they do score we have a little more time to come back"

Does this make any sense to you?

12. ukilledkenny

i just really think the fins had our number last night. they were gonna milk that clock for all it was worth no matter what. yeah we probably could have gotten a few plays off, but the fins also kick the ball a bit deeper than they did with that squib if more time is on the clock. i just didn't have a problem with it as the game was going on and i still don't.

13. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I agree JJ. The D was on the field a lot. You call a time out if for no other reason than to give Big Jenk a few minutes of extra rest.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Man with the way our passing game was going, another 20 seconds could have really made a difference.

Again if he thinks they're going to tie it up why hold them? Why not let them tie it up and go for the win with whatever time you have left?

prepare for the worst, hope for the best. It's a winning philosophy that has stood the test of time.

15. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Wrong. You coach with logic, not with emotion. This is a case of a rookie mistake. Sanchez had his last week. Rex had his this week. It was Herm-like. Herm's issue was that he never learned from his mistakes. I expect Rex to learn from this and for us to move on.

Fact is there was mis-management, and that mis-management decreased our chances of winning.

16. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

It definitely wouldn't have hurt and would have been a little bit of a cushion in case things went wrong.

Hell Rex himself said it was a mistake. I'll bet next time he calls the TOs.

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Bing-Fucking-O! :up:

18. ukilledkenny

i guess your right. i can't bring myself to really care either way as i don't think it would have changed the game, but maybe it could have. i still think it is just as good a possibility that fins still milk the clock all the way down if we start calling timeouts. but yeah what could it have hurt?

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Let me quote someone on this:

You play to win the game haha

If you're going to assume, you need to assume your opponent is going to do everything in their power to outright win the game. You add simple clock management into the mix and it's pretty straight forward that the clock is ticking ticking ticking.

Let's look at it this way: Pros/Cons

Pros:
    Give your D a breather to stop the run in which they had problems doing all night.
    If you make the stops you hold them to a FG and still have time to play what could have been against the prevent D and win the game with more than a single play.

Cons:
    It gives Miami time to talk about what they're going to do. Which didn't matter since everything they were doing was working anyway.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's plain fucking stupid. even if you hold them to a FG, you want time on the clock to give your offense a chance to win in regulation and avoid OT. at the least they were guaranteed a FG in their position, why wouldn't you want the ball back after they kicked it? that's your argument. let them tie it and go to OT. that's just stupid. please explain why you wouldn't want to give the offense the ball back before a potential OT?
    not the point. the point is you have to anticipate what may happen and put yourself in the best position just in case. by your logic, since we didn't stop them, there was no need to try and win the game afterwards. asinine logic. why'd we even try the hail marry pass afterwards if all we were playing for was to stop them. dumb.
    how would they run the ball more. just because the clock got stopped inbetween plays doesn't mean they would have had more plays. the Dolphins ran down the clock because it was running, but they weren't calling plays to run it down, they were calling plays to score. the Dolphins wouldn't have taken knees, they would have ran the plays they did, and had the game gone identically for the Dolphins, yet we had called those timeouts, we would have had at least 40 seconds to try and come back instead of 6. how is that the wrong position to be in? another stupid post.