Metal Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ah the good ole days. Saw Megadeth twice back in the day. Once at Clash of the Titans (what a great lineup, Megadeth, Anthrax, Alice in Chains and Slayer) and saw them on another tour as well.

2. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

By Tuesday I will have seen all of them but Anthrax, and they're supposedly coming in Febuary.

I saw Alice In Chains and DuVall surprised me, he was much better than I thought he would be. I went in with really low expectations and they surpassed them easily. No Layne of course, but I hear he was shit for the last few years anyway, before he became a recluse.

3. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I saw anthrax with the original line up a few years back with belladonna and it was amazing, played almost all of among the living.

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

I had no fucking clue they had a new one. Man am I fucking glad I decided to finally log back onto this site.

I'm buying this thing first thing after getting up tomorrow.

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I saw them on (Clash of the titans 2?). Around 1990 with Testament and Judas Priest as the headliner.

6. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I'm going to this show as well. High on Fire is opening as well.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Damn, I just remembered who the support act was for Megadeth on the other tour. I kept thinking it was the Cult but they were on the And Justice for All tour when I saw Metallica eons ago and damn was that a bad choice for an opener. Anyways, it was freakin STP back from the Core days. Can't believe I did not remember that until just now. I still to this day didn't understand why bands like Megadeth and Metallica would pick these opening acts that just did not work with the crowd on hand. I liked STP, but not a metal show. And The Cult? they were booed off the stage during their entire set. Bad choice.

8. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah,i remember that. When i finally saw Metallica on the Justice tour it was Queensryche on the Mindcrime tour opening.

9. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Nice, I used to be a big Anthrax fan and it'd be sweet to see that lineup live. Caught In A Mosh used to get stuck in my head for weeks at a time.

That is insane. Very jealous, although I will have seen all those bands by tomorrow just seperately. Rob Halford's vocals are not holding up at all well unfortunately.

10. Alright....came up w/ alittle somethin to spark this thread... Everyone supply the most underrated band of every major metal Genre: Thrash,Death,Black,80's,Power,Doom and Glam. Only rule is...lets shy away from obscure underground bands that no one has ever heard of.

Stick w/ bands that are household names for those in the know..but never really made it absolutely huge and/or they just never withstood the test of time.

11. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really call them underrated but I never thought Anthrax ever really got the credit they deserved.

I'll have to think about the underrated question.

12. My underrated bands by genre..

Thrash: Dark Angel- One of the fastest most powerful thrash bands ever.

Death: Incantation- Theyve been headlining shows since 91. But no one ever gives them any credit. One of the first and the best at adding an element of doom within their brutal death metal sound

Power: Hammerfall

Black: Dark funeral- They're big..but they never get mentioned w/ the Emperor's, marduk's and mayhems of the genre.

80's: Metal Church- never could get over the hump..likely due to singer changes.

Glam: Ratt- They were huge in the 80's but their name has not withstood the test of time.

#792 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Can this be bands that folded in their prime?

I would add Carcass if so.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Death Angel is another band that comes to mind.

80's metal I would say Loudness.

15. I always found Death Angel alittle overrated. They're one of those bands that every thrash fan loves...I never found them to be anything special. Although I'm obviously in the minority.

Loudness was a great band...they just needed a follow up to "crazy nights" which they never had.

How about Y&T.

#795 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  16. typeOnegative13NY

I have Never to rise again on my mp3 player now.

17. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Hmm... Obituary coming, are they any good live? I was a fan a few years ago but I haven't been listening to them much since they released Frozen in Time (which was actually alright I thought).

Would be pretty sweet to hear them play Suffocation and Chopped In Half live though.

18. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

im not sure what genre youd put them under but i always liked the original diamondhead

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fuck yeah they're good live. They are a pretty fun show. Last time I saw them, John Tardy kicked a fat chick into the pit because she took too long to stage dive.

20. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Awesome. I'd pay the entry just for that alone.

This has been a pretty killer year for gigs old school death metal. Obituary, CC, Morbid Angel. Now I just really want to see Vader and I will have covered my favourite DM bands.