Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

That TD pass he caught last preseason against us was a thing of beauty if I must say. He had to reach over the corner to one hand it if I remember correctly...

2. ........

........ Trolls

One hell of a thing to wake up to this morning. I honestly have mixed feelings, although I'm warming up to the trade. I love getting a potential true #1 WR, something we've lacked for nearly a decade. I love the way that this benefits the other members of our offense, all of whom see their production bumped just by trotting BE out on the field. I love the fact that we have a WRs coach who is a former pro known for catching anything thrown his way. Hopefully he can help out with that.

Obviously, I hate the drops. A good friend of mine is from Akron and a huge Browns fan, and those drops have hurt more than anything else out of that football team in big situations. It's a serious problem, and one that needs to get fixed. I don't want this guy dropping big catches with a rookie QB out there. I also hate that we gave up 2 picks in a very loaded draft, although it helps to keep in mind that we would have had to use a pick on a receiver. This trade frees up our first rounder to be used on another position. The biggest thing I hate, though, is the fact that Edwards has been demanding $10 million per season on a new contract. I do understand that we're not offering him a new contract yet, but I'm also not sure he's going to give it his all until he has one.

For the time being, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think this could work out wonderfully for us, or blow up in our faces. In the case of the latter, it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world without that new contract. We had one deal with Cleveland that would either save or doom the franchise, and that one has worked out beautifully so far. This one could have a huge impact to the positive, but it doesn't carry nearly the same risk.

#622 ........, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. VG56

VG56 Banned

Braylon Edwards: "The town isn't big enough for the both of us"

LMAO....

How will he feel about being a little pissant to the the NY sports world..

Braylon sux...

Terrible trade... At least its only 12 games and then he can go to the Pats or somewhere...

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

[​IMG]

5. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

You don't put up numbers like he did in 2006 - 1300 yds 16 tds if you don't have mad talent. Plus in addition his other bust years in Cle 2006/2008 he had over 800 yards .

He's that good , the only question with him is motivation.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I REALLY don't like this trade... he'll demand lot's of money and I liked Stuckey.
    Time will tell...

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahaha,,, that's a good one..... Like a Yankee fan saying they didn't like the AROD trade cause they had Aaron Boone,,, that's a good one.

R - I - D - I - C - U - L - O - U - S

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Reilly,

If it makes you feel any better, assume this deal had not been made and the Jet O remained ranked somewhere around where it currently is at 24. There would have been much pressure to use a high pick at wideout next year. Odds that a third or a fifth, or even packaging them for a second, that would bring in a solid wideout contributing even NEXT year, seem pretty slim to me.

I wasn't big on Stuckey. Apparently the Jets aren't, either.

It's a very good trade.

9. xxedge72x

One thing Edwards and Stuckey have in common - both of their rookie campaigns ended with season ending injuries.

10. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

What Great news on my Birthday!!! To wake up to this just started the day off AMAZING!

Appreciate the Bday present JETS!

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well not to be a stickler.... but edwards has been the only guy to throw to in cleveland pretty much his entire career, save of course the 2 years with Winslow. Cotchery has had coles on the other side his whole time as a starter, as well as guys like leon coming out of the backfield, and Keller a year ago.

So the fact that Cotch is even close to Edwards as far as production comes proves Cotch is damn good.

Who gives a shit who is the #1 or #2? two great receivers on the same team is a win win win for the Jets when you add in a dynamic like Keller and a play making machine like leon.

Also here is a blatant DUH to you idiots. Edwards will be out produced by J-co this year Book it! barring injury of course. Cotchery is way ahead in production to this point, Edwards now has to learn a new play book and then gain serious chemistry with Sanchez before he can even think about producing at his 07 level.

next year the full effect of this trade will really be felt. But as we move closer to the rematch in New England Edwards and Sanchez will become a great tandem, with Cotch on the other side and leon the patriot killer. We will be a damn good team by seasons end...

12. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Wow... Didn't see this coming at all.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

So when this guy gets hit, the police were never called. But after the fact he said "All I said was have a good night and he punched me"

Does that make sense to you?

14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

There are many WR's in the league that would be considered better than Stuckey. That's sort of a cop-out reason cause really anybody with numbers would be considered "better" or looked as an "upgrade". There are a buncha good #2 WR's out there that (had they been on the block) would have less drops, would've been cheaper, and have the stats to show they're better than Stuckey.

What's bothering me about this trade is...
    1. Looming suspension
    2. Grasp of the playbook
    3. Chemistry w/ Sanchez
    4. Led in dropped passes
    5. Teams still stacking the box w/ 8 until we make them respect the deep ball
    6. And still come out with some form of educated assessment at the end of the season about Edwards to decide whether we give him a long-term deal or not

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

we did not give up a 1st round pick, so this trade could never be equated to the dallas trade! if he is a scumbag we let him walk at the end of the year!

This is a put up or shut up move! If he puts up great if he doesn't "don't let the door hit-ya where the lord split-ya"

16. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

See what happens when you mess with Lebron...?

YOU ARE BANISHED!!!

By the way....this can't be good if you're a Knicks fan. You think the King will come to the Big Apple if he knows his nemesis is already here?

17. xxedge72x

Happy Birthday! :beer:

18. ........

........ Trolls

Like I said, the fact that our first rounder is now opened up (I'm assuming we would have used that on a wideout) helps considerably. I just need to see Braylon return to form and perform before I'm ecstatic about the deal.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I feel ya bro, but all of those items with the exception of 1 and 6 come with any receiver.

20. xxedge72x

I look at it the other way... Cotch has had it easier since he's had other good players around him. In Cleveland, opposing defenses revolved their entire gameplan around stopping Braylon Edwards... Cotchery never had to deal with that and Edwards still posted better numbers.

Edwards and the entire offense are all going to benefit tremendously from this deal.