Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Busts don't catch 1500+ yards and 16 TD's in a single season........and don't tell me that's old news...because it was only 2 seasons ago.

To say he's not a true #1 wideout is outright ridiculous.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the offense explodes right now then I'm happy with whatever Edwards does.

I'll just point out that we have 12 players tied up in Sanchez, Edwards and Greene at this point and depth is a huge issue in the NFL. You get ahead by using your picks to find good to great players not bundling them to pick up excellent prospects.

3. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

X2

filler

4. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I care about production. Cotch has produced this year. In fact, he's 5th in the league in receiving yards. That is what makes him a #1. You are too hung up on size, and not paying enough attention to production. I could care less about "prototypical #1" nonsense. Show me the numbers. When Edwards shows me he's better on this team than Cotchery, then I'll agree with you. Until then, one of them has proven it, and the other hasn't. End of story.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

the Barlow Trade was to get a back here... that was when Curtis' carreer came to an end, the knee injury if i remember correctly. I think he gets a pass on that

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

See, this is what's bothering me also. Not so much the cancer in the lockroom bit, but the actual dividends from this transaction. I think it's a decent trade, I'm just not thrilled with it because like I said in my other post, it's going to take a while for Edwards presence to take effect on the field. Other teams are gonna want Sanchez to prove to them he can throw it down field with accuracy AND for Brylon Edwards to haul them in. How is that gonna happen when he's facing a possible suspension from the league? If he misses a couple of games, and it takes him another couple of games to get in-sync with Sanchez and get acquainted with the playbook then we really won't get a true assessment in the off-season to re-sign him to a long-term deal.

People will say, "Oh he ran the wrong route because he doesn't know the playbook." Or, "Oh he dropped that pass because he's not in-sync with Sanchez just yet." It looks to me like a questionable trade at the most in-opportune time. If Edwards was coming in to play and all we had to worry about was knowledge of the playbook, I'd feel much better about this trade. Right now, it's still not sitting right with me.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's caught 65 passes in his last 20 starts with 3 TD's. Whatever that is, it's not a #1 receiver.

8. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think the point is he could be a true #1 (talent wise) but does not preform consistantly enough like one!

9. Mehl-56

I hope to see a Randy Moss Carreer Reserection type season... I think the guy needed a change of scenery more than people realize.

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

No, to SAY it as if it's gospel is what is ridiculous. One season. ONE SEASON!!! And two years ago to boot. Meanshile, Cotch has been producing consistently, and is having a great year this year.

Sorry. We're going to just have to disagree on this one. I need more from Edwards that just draft status and potential.

11. Mehl-56

and maybe this means that they are finally ready to put clowney on the field... just throwing it out there... but like Tony said, and there is no denying this, we are better with Edwards than with Stuckey... and there is no way around THAT point!

12. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I really hope that's all he needs. If so, it will make the Jets offense a totally different beast, and will probably put Sanchez in the pro-bowl.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

To be a true #1you have to play like a #1. For all intents and purposes it has been more than a calander year since Edwards has played like one.

I want him to prove he can still do it before I label him anything more than an upgrade at #2.

14. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

For whatever reason, Braylon has not flourished this year, and I would think you attribute it to he being on ONE winning team in 4 seasons (and no conincidence that he LIT UP the league when he had a QB who could throw). Also the team has a loser atmosphere. His QB's have been HORRENDOUS, except for 2007. His new coach sucks the life out of anyone within a 10 mile radius. Can we please wipe the slate clean, and give this guy a shot? I would think a winning city, with a winning coach, and a winning team atmosphere will inspire him. Let's wait 3 months to bring the jury out on this guy.

15. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I'm not sure what anyone is complaining about? You can't be better with a guy and still feel like it's a bad trade. It's about getting better, and I think we are. If he proves he can play...again....then he automatically makes the offense as a whole better. Not sure what the gripes are.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Which part of more yards with a worse QB doesn't have to do with production?

Last year's production alone, never mind career averages, means he is already better than J-Co. Add in their respective QB situations and sizes and there really is no argument.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Guys, guys....I'm not coming down on Cotchery....i love him as a player. But if Tanny/Rex/Schotty thought he was a TRUE #1 wideout...does this trade even happen?? Let's be serious here.

I'm taking the wait and see approach too, Tony.....I want to see how BE performs in our system....but the potential is there....because HE'S ALREADY PROVEN HE CAN PUT UP NUMBERS. Also, look who's throwing him the rock in Cleveland....nuff said.

Let's see what he can do with Sanchez.

18. GAJETMAN

GAJETMAN Member

Until I get use to this trade, every time I hear the name Edwards, this is the picture I get in my mind

[[​IMG]

19. Mehl-56

Look at the debacle that organization still is... WR's are debutants/prima-donnas by nature, and when your a loosing franchise, well those are the first people to literally act like girls! We'll see how he reacts to a team that has a defense that wants to punch you in the mouth, and offense that wants to get that mentality, but is currently a work in progress, and he is being convinced that he is a piece of that puzzle. I'll reserve judgement to see how this plays out... but lets just say I'm a little more excited about our offense today than I was last night.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Just a bunch of cats on the beach...