Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Depth, no depth.

Edwards is going to have to show me before I buy the trade.

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Those are trades he pulled during the Draft. I'm talking about trading for players. Favre was great, but he crashed towards the end. We also traded for Shep who is now hurt, but that could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not 100% sure, but didn't we also trade for Kevan Barlow?

We always seem to trade up in the Draft, which limits the number of picks we get as a whole. Next year, I'd like to trade down. Moving up and picking up a great G in the 1st round won't help the fact that we also need to replace Woody at RT. Or, picking up a DE in the 1st won't help the fact that we need a NT to give Jenkins the break he needs to last a full season, or that we need another DE to eventually replace Ellis. And even if you do all or any of this, doesn't mean you'd have solved the CB situation opposite Revis since you're now left with a 7th round pick (if we still have that one).

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's a bit premature to argue about this now....because we haven't seen Edwards play in the Green/White yet.....

If we're getting the 2008 version of Edwards...then I'll concede the point to you, Tones.....however, if we end up with the 2007 version of Edwards.....then you're dead wrong....

we'll have to take the "wait & see" approach with this one.

4. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Not me--they dont' have 65's on LI, it was a 55

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Theoretically, how would you feel if Edwards averaged 3 catches a game for the entire season with 1 drop a game, but the rest of the offense exploded... running lanes for the running backs, Keller getting open, and Cotchery dominating the single coverage that'll be placed on him?

6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I guess we all have "Character Issues".

7. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

hey how was that sprewell trade for the knicks??? starks cumming buck williams for a high risk high reward attitude guy.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Oh man I forgot about Favre and Sheppard.

For one, the Favre trade ended up being the biggest WIN of all of the trades but for the wrong reasons... the Favre trade allowed us to change regimes and to move up for our franchise QB... he also played great for the first half of the season so from a playing perspective it was a decent trade... definitely not a bad one.

Sheppard is TBD still...

I'll have to look up Barlow, if he made that trade that would definitely qualify as a bad trade.

EDIT: Yes, the Barlow trade was possibly the first trade made by Tannenbaum because it happened a few months after he replaced Boobway.

Good call on that one.

#568 xxedge72x, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

So you'd rather have the slot guy playing out of position, under-performing, and being dismissed while the defense puts 8 in the box and stifles the running game over a WR who can stretch the field and force the safety to play back and not allow him to double cover our TE?

11. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

especially you rock especially you :rofl:

12. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

straight up he is better than anyone we have now so i don't see how this cud be bad at all

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I expect this silliness from the kids, but you know better.

Braylon Edwards is 6'3" - 215 caught for 873 yards last year from scrubs.

J-Co is 6'0" - 202 caught for 858 yards from Burt freaking Fruve.

Are you really going to try to argue who gets #1 staus? It seems like a no-brainer. I love J-Co as much as anyone, but facts is facts, he's the best #2 out there, but lacks the size and skills to be a #1.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Who cares if it's 2 draft picks. We needed a receiver so it's only 1 pick in reality, which in terms of value leaves us with the 5th pick. Chances are we would have needed a higher pick than a 3rd to get a quality receiver anyway.

I liked Stucky as much as anyone..YAC is a blast to watch, but lets face it....Edwards "could" be a great.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I am not sure you be happy long term with him. His style seems to wear on players, he is an egomainiac, and he has no respect for your team history or culture.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I love how everyone is making excuses for this guy. He had scrubs throwing. He's on a bad team. Blah blah blah.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Big, fast, drops too many passes, doesn't run precise routes, shows a bad attitude and poor work ethic. Man, these things are FACTS, people. You are way too enamoured with his draft status, and your not paying enough attention to the entire body of work.

I think we're better with Edwards than we were with Stuckey. I'm not going to dispute that. But he's not a "true #1" as so many of you put it just because he's big and fast. The road is littered with big, fast WR's who were busts. This guy hasn't proven anything, other than having one really good season. He has never come close to living up to his draft status, either. Had we drafted him, most of you guys would have been calling him a bust long before now. Let's just wait and see what he does before we put him in Canton.

17. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Says the man with a "Band of Lunatics" picture :).

18. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

I agree , I don't think this kid is a thug like Pac Man , Goodell worries me though .

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Hey with that assesment he could be in line to be the next HC of the Cleveland Browns!

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

And he still had more yards than J-CO last year, so your point is shot. Just because he hasn't lived up to his #3 overall pick, he is still better than Jerricho's good days on his bad days.