Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I knew exactly who you were referring to.....

Cotch was a #1 wideout by default for the first 4 games of the season.....but he's not considered a #1 wideout by NFL standards.

If he was....the Edwards trade wouldn't have happened.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I approve this trade
    [​IMG]

I don't know how anyone could not like this trade. Stucky was average. He made way too many mistakes and wasn't a big threat. Teams were stacking the box because the Jets had no threats at WR once you take away Cotch, and then once you take away Keller the passing game is almost null.

Now with Edwards, we have the potential to have the best WR core for NYJ since Chrebet and Keyshawn

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

so is it safe to say now the jets may get re-exposed.....

jil

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Yep. Edwards managed to cobble together 800+ yds receiving with Anderson, Quinn, Dorsey and Gradkowski throwing to him. That's not too bad.

5. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

# ChansiStuckey Ohio!!! Just landed and pumped to get started3 minutes ago from UberTwitter

# New York Jetsnyjets RL: GM Mike Tannenbaum will be addressing reporters on the Braylon Edwards trade soon.

Good to see we'll hear Tanny on it soon.

6. YSUDomino

YSUDomino New Member

Browns fan here, finally got activated so I can reply, thanks Webmaster.

Anyway, just a warning. It's not that Edwards drops balls, which he does. It's he drops drive killing balls. He'll make every circus catch in the world on 1st and 10 for 25 yards, but on an out route on 3rd and 5, it's dropped. If you look at how many of the balls he dropped that were TD passes, you'll be a little worried.

Now, this guy obviously needed a change of scenery. He was reviled in Cleveland. Not because he was a Wolverine, which in his paranoid mind was why the city wasn't behind him. It was because he was a large part of our QB conundrum in 2008, that lead to the team becoming imploded. He single-handedly KILLED Anderson with the dropped balls, which lead to where our situation is currently at.

I'm a little worried for you guys because you have a rookie QB. Hopefully, the veterans in your lockerroom will stack behind Sanchez and bust this guy's head in if he acts up. He's going to play hard this year, really hard. You just have to hope its not for just a honeymoon period, like TO is famous for.

Anyway, I think it's win-win for both teams. Our ridiculous special teams gets a little bit better, we got a WR to replace him in the short term until Massoquoi and Robiskie fully develop, and a couple more draft picks to rebuild with.

Good trades make both teams happy.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I get what you're saying but the thing that's important here is that Tannenbaum is making smart trades... so far he hasn't been wrong on a trade...

Let's review:
    John Abraham for a 1st -> We get Mangold: WIN
    Trade up in 1st round -> We get Revis: WIN
    Trade up in 2nd round -> We get Harris: WIN
    Trade up in 1st round -> We get Keller: WIN
    3rd and 5th to Carolina -> We get Jenkins: WIN
    Trade up in 1st round -> We get Sanchez: WIN
    Trade up in 3rd round -> We get Greene: TBD (I'm expecting WIN)
    3rd and 5th, Stuckey, Trusnik -> We get the last missing piece to the puzzle, Edwards: TBD (Unless he really tanks, this should be a WIN)

Yes, next year's draft is going to be good supposedly but the draft is still a crapshoot. Tannenbaum isn't running this team the way Snyder and co. run Washington. The deals the Jets are making make sense for the team and have ultimately resulted ini this team getting better, being more competitive, and being that much closer to making a run for the Super Bowl.

I'm sorry, but I've watched the Jets have all their picks my entire life, but for the first time since Parcells I feel like this team has a real shot to win. Not only do our coaches have a winning attitude, so does our GM.

Can't argue at all with what they're doing.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Guys I just went to look at our draft history for the 3rd and 5th round for the last 10 years. Here's what we've done:

1999- David Loverne 3rd, Jermaine Jones (DB) 5th
    2000- Coles 3rd, Windrell Hayes 5th
    2001- Kareem McKenzie 3rd
    2002- Chris Baker 3rd, Jonathon Goodwin 5th
    2003- BJ Askew 3rd, Derek Pagel 5th, Matt Waters 5th
    2004- Derek Strait 3rd, Erik Coleman 5th
    2005- Sione Pouha 3rd, Andre Maddox 5th
    2006- Anthony Shlegel 3rd, Erik Smith 3rd, Jason Posciak 5th
    2007- Harris and Revis Trade-ups
    2008- Sheppard pick gives away 3rd, Ainge 5th

Now consider that list and ask yourself "Which players could we have not done without? Which were essential to have on the team during their respective years."

You're hard pressed to make a list with anyone beyond Coles, McKenzie, Baker (held the fort) and the new Erik Smith.

Are you still crying over losing a 3 and 5?

9. 73klecko

73klecko Member

my thoughts exactly.

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Welcome to the board. Hopefully this trade works out for both sides.

Robiskie could be quite a player some day.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Lucky for us we've got Cotchery Keller and Washington to rely on in 3rd down situations, and Edwards will make it easier on all of them to actually do that.

But as you said, this is a great move for both teams involved. I'm thrilled.

12. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Cotchery > Edwards

13. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

To me with Edwards its an attitude thing. I think its similar to the Moss situation in Oakland. The guys have great talent but just weren't motivated playing for a shitty team .

I don't think this would work with any coach - for example Mangini , but with Rex at the helm it just may. He has experience with headcases like that ( Ray Lewis) . Plus Edwards gets to play in the #1 market for a team that's on the upswing .

Look at some of his bigger games , I remeber one Monday niter in particular where he was dominant - the kid loves the spotlight - there's no bigger than playing for a NY team.

If ( and its a big if) he keeps himself out of trouble this can be a tremendous move for the Jets.

14. Disembodied

Disembodied Banned

What were the draft picks that the Jets gave Cleveland? I heard it was two draft picks.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Rounds 3 & 5

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

The grown-ups are talking. Beat it, Dolfag.

17. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

If he is a cancer in the locker room we just won't resign him after this year! I think we gave too much for him because of the reasons you mentioned.

I have to ask, how do you like mangini?

18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Call me ill-informed...

Besides punching some dude in the face, what else has be done off field? I've had him on my fantasy team the last 3 years, and I never once saw a note saying he was involved in something.

Last I knew, he was in those terrible 5 hour energy commercials. That was pretty bad.

19. Atopps

Atopps Member

Be a good host and be nice to the guests...

20. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

This guy is going to disappear into the New York nightlight scene and implode. I have less faith in this move then I did in bringing in Farve (which I hated)