Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

On paper, he could be a perfect fit...

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

From reading the Browns board, it seems like this is a win win deal for both teams. The Browns knew that Edwards was walking anyway and that he definitely was disgruntled there, so getting value for him works out well for Cleveland who otherwise would've got nothing.

For us, we get the deep threat we need to open up the offense.

Great deal for both sides.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

edwards may already be familiar with some of our offensive terminology cause mangini took daboll with him to cleveland.

jil

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I agree. I wouldn't want to be locked into a long, cap-killing contract if this doesn't work out. Any time you trade a couple of picks all the draftniks go crazy and scream we got robbed, but what did we give up really? Stuckey, who we replaced, and a backup LB/special teamer. It was only a month ago people were speculating with a straight face that we'd trade David Harris for an all-out crybaby WR. Thankfully they weren't dumb enough to even entertain that, this one is ok. You don't get anything for nothing.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i think this thread sets the record for number of pages in the least amount of time....not sure if the favre thread matched this.....26 pages in no time. woooohooo

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i think the favre thread was longer than this in like 45 minutes.

7. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I'm 'eh' about this trade.

Edwards isn't my favorite receiver, and we gave up one too many draft picks for a WR that drops a shit-load of passes.

This trade will work out IF and WHEN Schotty lets Sanchez take shots down the field, AND Edwards catches them. If both these things happen, that will begin to open up the underneath stuff. That's a lot to ask for a QB & WR that have no chemistry, and the WR doesn't even know the playbook. Not to mention he may get suspended for a couple of games due to the incident in Cleveland.

So much for looking to build thru the Draft.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO - edwards does not get a contract until the offseason.....they need to see what kind of effect this guy has on and off the field. there is NO way he gets a contract with LW lingering. that would be locker room suicide.

that being said i think the jury is still out with LW - to franchise or not.

one of these guys will be franchised in 2010 - all things considered with the CBA

jil

9. xxedge72x

We could go back to the Boobway days of trading back in order to acquire Doug Jolley, Mike Nugent, and Justin Miller.

10. DennisByrd

DennisByrd New Member

I am happy to see that nearly everyone agrees this is an amazing trade for the Jets. These types of trades almost never happen once the season starts. I agree with a previous comment relating Edwards to Moss. These guys are still just human. Playing for a terrible team week in and out can definitely hurt motivation. I struggle playing hard in my rec bball league when we're having a bad year-just saying.

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think now you will see him taking more shots because he has the type of player who excels at being at the other end of deep passes.

As for the contract, with the current status of the CBA, there is no reason to rush things. If things continue on their expected course, Leon and Braylon will both be restricted free agents for the next two years anyway if I understand everything correctly. This is a move that bodes well for 2009 and also has the makings of helping us tremendously long term.

12. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

This was a great move! We are now blessed with two number one receivers for Sanchez to throw to. Now, if Mr. Clownman will step up and put his hands where his mouth is, we'll have the best corps in the game.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

who's the other #1 WR?...did i miss something?

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Come on Tony, for goodness sake.

Lest year was his down year, and he had scrubs throwing to him. Meanwhile, he was better than anyone we had last year, with Brett Favre throwing to them.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he means the newly aquired Edwards and Cotch, who just happens to be 5th in the NFL in receiving yards so far.

Depending on how long it takes Edwards to get a good chunck of the play book down this could be big.

Still I hate giving up more picks. We need a lot of depth and this is not helping to aquire any.

16. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Maybe you don't watch the games.

His name is Jerricho Cotchery, and he has quickly become one of the best receiving threats in the game. And while he is not flashy like most #1 WRs and he doesn't have a huge ego like most #1s, he has shown in the games why he's one of the best. He has indeed become a #1. Yes, we have two #1 WRs on the Jets.

17. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Poor Stuckey. I saw him on sny last week and he seemed very happy to not be playing for mangini. I hope edwards works out. Didn't he lead the nfl in drops last year? Or am I mistaken? Either way he is a Jet now and this fresh start could be the best thing for him and the Jets.

18. xxedge72x

The most important part of this deal isn't the football played by Edwards himself, because really he only needs to outproduce Stuckey for his spot to be an upgrade... but the most important part of this deal is for what his presence does for the rest of the offense and the way defenses have to now play them. If our offense gets better despite Edwards continuing his case of the dropsies, then this deal is still a huge win for the Jets.

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

That's sort of what I'm hoping for being that next year is a deep talented draft. We need to build depth on the OL and DL. We're going to need a CB that can play opposite Revis (cause we sure as hell ain't paying Shep 10M bonus) and maybe another OLB to spell Pace/Thomas (I have about 65% of hope left that Gholston will turn into anything worth-while).

That's how great teams are built. Look at the Steelers and Ravens. And especially now that we have Rex Ryan who knows what to look for in defensive players...I was kinda looking forward to keeping all our picks.

I'm happy for this trade because it changes the dynamics of our offense, but A LOT needs to happen before those changes actually come. We may still see defenses stacking the box for the next 2-3 games. If Edwards gets suspended, we may see it for the next 5-6 games. Then we gotta wait til he gets the playbook down.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Depth is overrated if you don't have quality starters to backup. Look at this year how much we were worried about the 2nd tight end and Hartstock becomes available and is a perfect fit. There's a reason guys are added for depth, it's because they're not good enough to start.