Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Like I said in the BE thread the other day, one doesn't just lose the talent that made one an all-pro receiver. It is a concentration error. Hopefully Rex and Schotty will fix that. If not, he's gone at the end of the year.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

No Love for Matthew Hatchette?

3. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Actually, it's it now one day 2 pick and one day 3 pick (God I hate the NFL!!!!)

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

He was miserable in Cleveland. How could he not be overjoyed in NY. He is now in prime time. If he wanted the glitz, he certainly has it now.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I think I missed something.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I follow what you are saying..and you might be right. All Im saying is that the current receiver core, along with the running game..along with a rookie qb was about to go through a total meltdown.

A fantastic defensive season was about to be thrown to the wolves because it was not going to get any better against the good teams.

Is Edwards the savior? I have no clue. I know he is a distraction for the defense....a distraction that the Jets were not going to be able to fix until the off season. Who would be the guy they get next year? These guys dont grow on trees. 6"3" 4.4 guys are a rare breed.....drops and all.

We shall see...but a great gamble to say the least.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That would be an awfully expensive rental. I hope Tanny doesn't allow that to happen.

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yep for better or for worse, he's got it now for sure!

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

OYE. You don't know how Goodell has fucked up our draft weekend. I wont go off topic here, but I'm sure there are threads abound (rd 1 thurs night, rd 2 and 3 friday night, everything else sat)

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

A lot has to do with who is throwing the ball as well. Some receivers have a tough time catching an ugly ball. I had a WR 2 years ago that caught ANYTHING from our QB, and the next year he dropped over 20 passes. The biggest difference for us was, he was catching balls that weren't perfect (we had a new QB that year).

That being said, I think Sanchez throws a nice ball. So I'm hopeful that his problem has something to do with Anderson's ball.

Was this an issue with him in college?

The hell with it...It's still a huge plus right now!

11. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The draft is spread over 3 days now, starting on Thursday and ending on Saturday.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I thought he was a FA at the end of this year but someone corrected me , he will be a restricted free agent. Meaning teams may come calling. This could be risky move mortgaging the future.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

WOW...a 3rd, 5th, Trusnick and Stuckey for Braylon? That's fuckin chump change

GREAT TRADE

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yes but once again it is going to be a light draft next year. I remember some on here saying the Jets need to start drafting some depth.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I love Mike Tannenbaum.

What a champion of a GM.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

"Sources told FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer that the Jets are sending two draft picks to Cleveland and that the team has not discussed a new deal with Edwards."

17. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

i would have liked to keep stuckey for the slot but damn i love this deal

braylon has his drop issues but he has amazing talent

you gotta love the Jets aggressiveness. they WANT TO WIN! NOW!

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Right now we only have 3 picks-

But we have a lot of young talent, that's all we need.

19. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

More additions to the regular article:

EW YORK (AP)—Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini has dumped dissatisfied wide receiver Braylon Edwards(notes) off on his former team.

Mangini sent Edwards, a former first-round pick whose troubles have matched his immense talent to the New York Jets on Wednesday for wide receiver Chansi Stuckey(notes), linebacker Jason Trusnik(notes) and undisclosed draft choices.

Edwards, in his fifth season, has 10 receptions for 139 yards but was held to no catches for the first time in his career in the winless Browns’ 23-20 overtime loss to Cincinnati on Sunday. His best season came in 2007, when he had 80 catches for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns.
    FILE -- This is a 2009, file photo showing Jason Trusnik(notes) wearing a New York Jets NFL football jersey. The New York Jets have reached an agreement with the Cleveland Browns to acquire troubled but talented wide receiver Braylon Edwards(notes). The Jets sent wide receiver Chansi Stuckey(notes), linebacker Jason Trusnik and undisclosed draft choices to the Browns on Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009, to acquire the deep threat they had been lacking.

The former Michigan star comes with his share of off-field issues. The NFL is investigating whether he violated the league’s conduct policy following accusations he assaulted a man outside a nightclub. Cleveland police are also looking into the incident.

The Jets, off to a 3-1 start, had been looking to replace Laveranues Coles(notes) in the starting lineup since allowing him to become a free agent in the offseason. They looked into former Giants star Plaxico Burress’(notes) legal status before the draft, and were mentioned in possible trade talks with Denver’s Brandon Marshall(notes).

San Francisco also filed tampering charges against the Jets in September, claiming New York was looking into wide receiver Michael Crabtree(notes), the 49ers’ top draft pick. The league is still looking into those charges.

Edwards allegedly punched promoter Edward Givens, a friend of NBA star LeBron James, early Monday morning following an argument in downtown Cleveland.

Although Edwards hasn’t been charged with a crime, the league’s conduct policy states that discipline may be imposed for “the use or threat of violence.”

Edwards has been involved in other off-field incidents. In March, he was partying with suspended Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth in Miami the night Stallworth later drove drunk and killed a pedestrian. Edwards was not with Stallworth at the time.

Last November, Edwards was fined $150 and given 30 hours of community service after he was found guilty of driving 120 mph.

It’s the second major trade the Jets have made with the Browns and Eric Mangini, their former coach. On the first day of the draft in April, New York acquired the fifth overall pick from Cleveland to select Sanchez for its first-round pick, its second-rounder (No. 52), and defensive end Kenyon Coleman(notes), safety Abram Elam(notes) and quarterback Brett Ratliff(notes).

Stuckey, who won the No. 2 receiver spot opposite Cotchery out of training camp, has 11 catches for 120 yards and a touchdown. He was a seventh-round draft pick out of Clemson in 2007, but missed his first season with a foot injury. Stuckey had 32 receptions last season, catching three touchdown passes from Brett Favre(notes).

Trusnik, signed as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio Northern in 2007, is a special teams ace and backup linebacker. He was selected as the AFC’s special teams player of the week last week after forcing and recovering a fumble on a kickoff in the Jets’ 24-17 win over Tennessee.

20. Atopps

Atopps Member

does anyone know what edwards cap number/contract situation is? I recall he has 2 years left.. will be an RFA after this season and UFA a year later..

if we just rent him for this year.. it will be pretty cheap because anything we get in return for him will be better than stuckey, trusnik, and those 2 picks. Otherwise we basically give him half of this year and all next season to prove his worth and get a new deal.