Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

tony..

don't you know that analytical thinking on TGG is a sin. :)

jil

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Personally, I'd rather they'd have traded Clowney. Stuckey wasn't great, but he was good enough in the slot to be effective.

Brad Smith is such a great special teamer that I forgive him being such a lousy WR.

3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Heh. I guess people are too used to me throwing sunshine and daisies all over teh place.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm just going to keep repeating this until the doubters listen.

Jerricho Cotchery just got open. Those double-teams are done. Is Cotchery a threat when put one-on-one with a corner? I think we've already seen the answer to that question in the past.

Now consider that Edwards is a real threat when he catches the ball himself. He'll be single-team a lot more now than in Cleveland as well. How many dropped passes were a result of timed hits by a CB while BE was double-covered? That won't happen as often any longer.

Then, let's say the opposition focuses on Cotch and Edwards. There's Keller right in the middle of the field for Sanchez. Keller's covered? Well, then dump it to TJ/Leon or TRich.

Who gives a shit who's in the slot for us? Hell, play double-te sets more often to get an extra blocker on the line!

Our offense is WORLDS better today than it was yesterday.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

after sifting through the 18 pages of this thread....I'm noticing that the big problem some posters have with this trade is Edwards' penchant for dropping balls......fellas, this is COACHABLE.

We now have a big, FAST, young wide receiver.....who's probably "ecstatic" to come to our team. This will pay huge dividends.....because now our offense is potentially dangerous.

I'm sure Belichick shit his pants this morning.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Tony, I understand where you are coming from.

I just look at it as nothing gain nothing lost. Teams had already figured out the Jets offense. The running game was going nowhere. The passing game, with a rookie qb, was becoming so predictable...especially in the red zone...and even more so inside the 5.

You cant discount what this guy did in 07 and who he has had as coach and at qb since. 6'3" 4.4 speed doesnt grow on trees. 16 touchdowns in one season?

The drops? Im sorry, that doesnt bother me in the least. Especially when you look at the other names on that board.

His head..thats what concerns me. But you even admitted...if Rex cant make him into a team player..then it will never happen for him. This is his shot to save his career. You usually only get one chance.

Regardless of his drops, teams cant ignore him lined up on the outside because he might drop a pass. If anything, this opens the field up for our rookie qb....who looked like his head was about to explode after last week.

You are correct....we shall see. If it doesnt work out...I just do not see any downside.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you may be right about the overrating. he has only had one really great season, but he is still a very young guy. i am really hoping that the ineptitude in cleveland had hurt his motivation. if he comes in here with a desire to be great again, this could be an amazing move for us.

8. mst3000

mst3000 Member

I think we already know who the Jets MVP will be this year - that's right, Eric Mangini! Woo! 2 JAGs, a 3rd and 5th for Edwards? Thanks Eric!

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

For those who are so upset about trading Stuckey, come on already. This trade probably wouldn't have even worked in Madden! (Can someone make the attempt? I have to know and I don't have it.)

We had to give up something. We gave up a good ST player, two day 2 picks, and a receiver who would have been, at best our third best, and had limited playing time from here on out.

Giving up Stuckey was a meager sacrifice in terms of what we gained. People really need to start thinking like an opposing DC. Guaranteed, Paul Pasqualoni is thinking "Oh shit" this morning.

10. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Written by Pete Prisco, Sportsline.com. He is usually critical of the Jets.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Edwards >>>>>> Stuckey.

I'm with you Alio, it's really not rocket science :)

12. joesanerd

joesanerd New Member

Honestly he's had "down" years... but that's compared to who? Expectations of a #3 overall pick... 55 catches for 800+ yards on last years Browns team is pretty good...
    They couldn't run, had a carousel of inconsistency at QB, no one to play opposite of him... It's gonna be ALL DAY for our offense to move the ball.

This news is news we should all be drinking to, just my 0.02

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

He also praised us for robbing them on the Sanchez trade. I love Mangini!

14. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Wow, now we have a true # 1! it didn't take a rocket science to figue out we can't compete with out a #1. I've been saying this all along, Cotchery is a #2 or #3 on most teams. Rex is going for it now(SB)

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point I was going to make, how do you game plan for the Jets now? Keller can go back to the line of scrimmage and help block even if it's a little, If BS can't do something with this he deserves to be fired.

#395 Red Menace, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While I generally agree with Tony's sentiment, the one thing I DO like about the trade is that Edwards style is a good complement to Cotchery.......
    I thought there was potential that Clowney could be that guy, but apparently not.

Hopefully Edwards plays up to expectations, and doesn't get too wrapped up in the NYC glamour / social scene.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

when you put it like that i envision this offense now being able to put up big points and i love it. we now have all the pieces to have a great offense. sanchez needs to develop, and edwards could use a bit of motivation. if it all comes together though... wow this could be fun.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Excellent points, JayW. We have seen other teams make this O very pedestrian and easy to defend. After four games this O is ranked 24th in total offense. Yeah, the D is great, but how far is the team going to go with that O?

So what is the downside? I don't see any. Opponents now have to worry about facing a different Jet O than they had gotten comfortable defending. (Assuming Schotty makes good use of Edwards, of course).

As for the team's approach, I love it - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

19. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

I will repeat my post, as it relates to your post and nobody responded. It seems to me that naysayers are comparing BE's 2008 stats to Coles' 2008 stats, then comparing the dropped balls ("that's what she said...") to prove the point that BE lacks consistently/coachability.

However, given that BE's yards in 2008 are nearly equal to that of Coles in 2008, yet BE had 20 less receptions, perhaps BE's high drop percentage is due to either (1) tough down field catches with a safety providing cover (as opposed to last year's Favre to Coles 5 yard passes in single coverage without a safety) or (2) simply, double coverage that Coles rarely saw in the several dink and dunk pass attacks of the Jets' past.

Think about the stats before merely relying on them -- numbers can be deceiving. Sure, stats have a place in discussions such as this, but they also have limitations.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Going 3-1 through the most difficult part of our schedule was pretty competitive, no?