Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Code:

Season Team  Receiving Rushing Fumbles G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost 
    2009  Cleveland Browns  4  4  10 139 13.9 24 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    2008  Cleveland Browns  16  16  55 873 15.9 70 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    2007  Cleveland Browns  16  16  80 1,289 16.1 78T 16 -- -- -- -- -- 3 2 
    2006  Cleveland Browns  16  15  61 884 14.5 75 6 3 7 2.3 8 0 -- -- 
    2005  Cleveland Browns  10  7  32 512 16.0 80T 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 

Career stats. decent, but nothing outstanding. Certainly not worth the hype he's getting around here.

I'm just being cautious is all. I want this trade to work out, and if anyone can get Edwards head out of his ass, it's Rex. But to say that defenses now have to shake in their cleats is ridiculous. He is a decent receiver with loads of talent and a shitty work ethic, and that is the truth.

We'll see how it works out.

2. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

How is 2007 not 'outstanding'?

3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

The WRs certainly did need upgrading. Just how much it was upgraded with this trade is open for debate.

4. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

Given that BE's yards in 2008 are nearly equal to that of Coles in 2008, perhaps BE's high drop percentage is due to either (1) tough down field catches with a safety providing cover (as opposed to Favre to Coles 5 yard passes in single coverage without a safety) or (2) simply, double coverage (again, compared to many guys on this list that do not necessarily receive double coverage). Think about stats -- numbers and stats can be deceiving.

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Not often you can get a 6'3, 26 year old Pro Bowler for role players and 2nd day picks. I'm in.

6. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

No.... Because they have no QB or any other weapon on the field...

Revis would shut down Braylon like he did Moss, AJ and Colston and the Blitz would put a hurt on whatever QB Mangini picked out of a hat that week.

7. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I hope he plays Monday. Wow this news is absolutely amazing. Just made my day. I jizzed in my pants this morning.

8. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

It's a good trade, but not when you compare it to Randy Moss. Wasn't he traded for a 4th or a 3rd alone?

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You are severely underrating him. He is the only guy you would have feared when playing the Browns. Yes he is a diva and yes he has some concentration issues but the guy is a threat and a big one.

What has he done since he came into the NFL? How bout the only year in his career he had even decent QB play he exploded for 80 catches for almost 1300 yards and 16 Tds, in his third year when Wrs typically have their breakout years. Last year in what was considered a down year he still averaged nearly 16 yards pc, with Ken Dorsey starting multiple games at QB.

The guy is no question a threat and is the kind of talent that can improve our whole offense. Forget about double teaming Cotch and forget about 8 in the box.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Perhaps the Jets decided to trade away draft picks instead of letting the league take them.

Stuckey and Trusnick are good depth guys, but it is obvious that Sanchez needs better targets on the outside and hopefully Edwards can return to at least 80% of his '07 form with a change of scenery.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This could make him inactive

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i wouldn't have been worried about him because i feel the browns are an awful team who didn't use him correctly. not to mention he was on a shitty team with no motivation to really give it his all. i am hoping we see the randy moss effect on edwards. take his talent and put it on a contending team and all of a sudden he has a fire and is playing great.

even if he continues to be a "bum" that pretty much means we just replaced coles production from last year. we didn't rape the browns on this trade, like we did for sanchez but i like the boldness here. if this move works out and we can braylon playing at a top level again it will do wonders for sanchez' development.

13. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

One hit wonders do nothing for me. Lately, the only thing he's leading anything in is dropped passes.

If he can repeat that performance with the Jets, then I'll be convinced. Until then, I remain skeptical.

14. pender30

pender30 Member

Man do I feel bad for Chansi and Trusnik. From a great coach and contending to a dictator on one of the worst 3 teams in football.

#374 pender30, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  15. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The Moss trade was one of the most lopsided trades in league history. Using it as a comp just doesn't make sense.

16. Gator

Gator Active Member

Raiders are kind of on an Island by themselves when it comes to player moves.

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'm happy they've tried something too. They needed to make a move. The ppoint I have been trying to make (unsuccessfully) is that most posters here are, in my opinion, way overrating what Edwards brings to this team immediately. As I've said, he has a lousy work ethic, drops passes, and has a shitty attitude as evidenced by his off-the-field issues. Maybe he can straighten out, and maybe not. Only time will tell.

Again, I'm happy that the Jets aren't sitting pat. I like bold, aggressive moves. But I'm not ready to say the Jets have become a much better team because of this move. Somewhat better? Yes. Just how much, though, I don't know.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

me thinks this explains the playing time stuckey received when compared to clowney...

pretty sure the browns initially wanted clowney, but the jets said no no.

wonder if b. smith was part of it

jil

19. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

thing is, it's not like that one season was one where he was super lucky and had a super great year. you can't get lucky that much in a season to have a season like that.

clearly, he has the talent to put up 80+ catches, 1000 yds, and 10+ TDs a year, so if he doesn't put up these types of numbers for a season, it's not because he doesn't have the talent to put these numbers up, but obviously due to another reason. he's gotta get his focus right and has to work on the mental part of his game. plus having steady QB play from sanchez will definitely help.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Cooler gets it.

This is not that complicated. Edwards is the missing piece. Adding him will make the whole O better.