Jets trade for Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Ouch. But really, why Stuckey?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No he is not Jerry Rice, no Wrs are. He is miles better then Stuckey though and a guy the Ds have to fear. His presence alone improves our whole offense. Most of the great WRs are divas, we have the leadership in place to take on a guy like Edwards

3. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I agree with WSW that I'd have thought that a 3rd rounder, or maybe a 3rd and Stuckey, could have made this deal.

I'm not saying we overpaid or anything, and I do think our offense is much better today. It's just not the insane near-raping that I thought the Sanchez trade was.

4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I heard it's a 3rd and a 5th.

Braylon has the height and speed to be a star. He's had problems with drops but he can learn. Our WRs problem has been getting open - once we fix that, we can worry about drops.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That sucks!!

The same shit happened to me with Adrian Murrell.

Put it on Ebay quick, some slow fan might buy it-

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

And since he's come into the NFL, he's done jack shit other than drop passes and get into trouble. Just because he was selected high in teh draft doesn't make him a great player. That is nonsensical logic.

I don't like this treade much either, to tell you the truth, and my logic for not liking it is much more sound that yours for liking it.

7. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks this is a bad trade is nuts. Look at the Jets receiver stats in 2008:

Cotchery - 71 receptions, 858 yards, 5 TDs
    Coles - 70 receptions, 850 yards, 7 TDs

Now compare those to Edwards 2008 stats:

Edwards: 55 receptions, 873 yards, 3 TDs

So even in what people call a down year, he had comparable stats (and led on yardage) to our top 2 receivers. With a better QB here is NY, he is easily a 1000 yard receiver.

The upside is HUGE. The risk is low.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Pretty much how I feel....... For all the people stating that the Browns got fleeced: They just got two draft picks and two contributing football players for someone they wanted to axe / not resign.

The Jets get a talented headcase/primadona who has shown that he's got the potential to be a serious playmaker (2 years ago) or a serious bum (last 2 seasons) If they get the Edwards of 2 years ago, it's a good trade. If he stays on the same path, it's a bust.

I think it should work out.... I hope

:jets:

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Knicks can work out a 3 team deal between the Browns and the Cavs. Seems like the Jets can get whatever they want through Eric now.

Anytime you get a guy with some baggage, its normal to hesitate but this has no brainer written all over it.

If you watched the Jets this year..they relied on the obvious quick slants even in the red zone....on 3rd down and shorts. It just wasnt going to work and this season was about to go down in flames offensively.

This had to happen. You cannot stack the line with this guy on the field. Dropped passes? When a guy as the type of year this guy had on 07...in Cleveland...receivers in the NFL do not have accident years. You can shoot your load in preseason. You can have a 3 week run. You cant do that over 16 games.

This guy is a flat out talent. 6'3"...4.4 speed. Ability to control the ball and make spectacular catches inside the the d's 5 yard line.

There is no downside to this trade...none. Its brilliant. The most amazing thing about this trade is that Tanny is one of the few gm's that can fix such a glaring need during the season..not at the end of the season..for very little.

We all need to send a cleaning crew over to Sanchez apartment to pick up the hundreds of kleenex tissues all over the floor.

10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Hasn't done jack sh-t? He caught 80 passes in 2007 for over 1,200 yards and 16 TOUCHDOWNS?????? That's an incredible season. When's the last time a Jet receiver caught 16 td passes? You have to be kidding me.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Here's the way I view it:

Ok, maybe Stuckey/Trusnik PLUS two picks was a little much, but check out the big picture. Our future on offense in terms of weapons before this trade was Sanchez, Washington, Keller and Cotchery with Stuckey being a probable part of the future. Trusnik, despite his ST skills was not part of our future on this defense. We gave up a probable part of the future and someone that had no future on our team for a DEFINITE part of the future and someone that was a top receiver in the league last time his team had decent QB play.

So yea, the picks may hurt a little bit, but I think you have to realize that we gave up a bunch of maybes for a definitely. And if he doesn't turn out to be a definitely then we don't renew his contract and we STILL have a 1st and 2nd rounder to use on a young receiver in the draft.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

By the way, keep in mind that Braylon has played for some of the worst coaches in NFL history in the last few years. He will be loving Rex's leadership after morons like Romeo and Mangini.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

since theres no collective bargaining agreement and were set to go to a No Cap status next year that instantly makes Edwards a RFA for us under the current conditions.

14. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Even if I generally agree with you, I don't think he's done jack shit. He has shown he can be a talented #1 receiver. Not necessarily a dominating, elite #1 WR, but a good one.

I don't not like the trade, I'm just not excited.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A 4th rd. draft pick & a 3rd rd. draft pick........ just saying :wink:

16. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

A little much? They gave up almost nothing..... This is the type of player that goes for a first rounder.... What did Dallas give for Roy Williams? This wasn't a little much at all....

17. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

some of you guys are down right out of your mind or just completely resistant to change or have some type emotional connection bias towards our current players

this is a no brainer. i couldn;t believe it. nothing better than getting a guy when his trade value is this low. if he gets in trouble....maybe we lose him for what, 1 game? it's not like he had a gun charge or anything like that.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

278 viewing the thread don't look back!

19. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

high risk/high reward

He miles better than miles [austin] also.

This trade is high risk/high reward. BE can be a star in NY if he learns to work hard and play hard. Or, BE can become the next in a long line of Jets' mishaps if he continues to drop key passes. The guy is a freak, with ability and potential. Rex will give him confidence and support. MS will throw him the ball better than DA or Quinn. Opponents will find it difficult to cover Cotchery, Keller, Leon, and BE. Too many potential playmakers on the field.

Again, this trade is high risk/high reward.

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Nobody fears Edwards. If we were playing the Browns last week, would you have worried about what he would have done to us? I wouldn't even have thought about it. He is being ridiculously overrated here in this thread, mostly because he was a big name coming out of college, and he was drafted so high. But what has be done since coming into the NFL?

I'm not saying that we are worse off that we were before teh trade. In fact, I think we are a little bit better (although I HATE losing Trusnik). I do think that we overpaid, and I don't believe that Edwards is going to have the impact many people think he is. I think he's a first round bust who can still contribute occasionally, but he certainly ISN'T anyone that opposing DC's have to gameplan around.