Saints studied tape on Sanchez staring down his receivers...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Taken from the NYPost...

"Sharper's game-changing interception on the first play of the second quarter, which put the Saints up 10-0, was a combination of athletic ability and meticulous videotape study. He had gathered Saints' defensive back for several extra meetings in the days leading up to the game and told them how he had spotted Sanchez's tendency to stare down receivers.

Cornerback Tracy Porter had outside coverage on tight end Dustin Keller, who ran a curl to the inside. Sharper, hiding in the middle of the fields, saw the play develop, baited Sanchez into the throw and then stepped in front of Keller near the goal line. He ran untouched for the score.

"We had a little combo coverage, and I knew once I saw one of their receivers go a certain way that the tight end was trying to run a little stop route," Sharper said.

"Our coverage allows me to be aggressive. I just attacked the football. I don't think Sanchez saw me coming because initially [Keller] looked open. I was able to get my hands on it and hold it."

Sharper added a second interception in the fourth quarter, his fifth in four games. He has returned two of those picks for scores.

Sharper said like most young quarterbacks, Sanchez can tip off where he's going with the ball. It's a tendency most quarterbacks have, he said, especially early in their development.

Did he bait Sanchez into making the throw?

"I little bit," Sharper said, smiling. "But that's just in our [defensive] calls. Once we see them do a certain thing, it allows me to be aggressive and just attack the football and make the play."

"It's not just being a rookie," Sharper added. "Any quarterback you can get a good read on if you know certain tendencies that he has. Guys say that quarterbacks will try to fool you, but at the end of the day, once pressure is in your face, you're going to go back subconsciously to what you've done in the past. You can get a good read on most quarterbacks in this league, except for Drew [Brees]. I can never get him in practice."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

makes sense now. Expected, but at the same time you know opposing defenses are going to look for this especially now. All rookies do this, so its not the end of the world. I just hope sanchez can improve on this (as well as protecting the ball) sooner than later. The saints focused on this much more than other teams did (partially due to having more film on him)

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

like sharper said, it's not necessarily a sanchez thing, it's an 'any QB' thing that has pressure in his face. just ask brady and collins. sanchez will be fine.

3. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Sanchez has been a lot better about not staring down his WR than I had thought he would be. But he's still a rookie and he does it sometimes. There are some vet QBs that do this as well, so let's not panic unless he starts doing this consistently wrong. Also, keep in mind that he doesn't exactly have a class of world-beaters making up his WR corps. Defenses can easily locate, and try to take away, his weapons.

In short, it's not all on Sanchez, but some of it definitely was on Sanchez.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could have told you this before the game was even played.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

When I saw that INT, I said WTF was Sanchez looking at? The way I remembered it, Sharper lined up in the middle of the field presnap and didn't move very far from where he eventually ended up picking it off. I need to rewatch it, but I don't remember seeing him bait anything. It just looked like a terrible read throwing it to the safety who hardly even moved from where he lined up presnap.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Clearly, he had a Sharper image.

7. abyzmul

He was eye-fucking the receiver both times he threw INTs, I watched him during the pick-6 replay and he never even made a progression or tried to look off Sharper to another man. It was a terrible rookie mistake. I think he was just excited. He'll learn.

But yeah, it wasn't a bait, Sharper was the center fielder in a pretty run-of-the-mill defense and they capitalized because he had an easy read on the QB.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Isnt this the case with 9 out of 10 INTs in the NFL? Theres an article in the paper for this?

9. steves850

steves850 Active Member

*ugh*
    filler

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Jets studied tape of how Brees (insert your own line here).

All teams study tape of all QBs.

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is a rookie and he still needs to develop more. /endthread

12. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Yeah, both of those are on Mark. Its only his 4rth game and we knew a clunker was coming, so better now than later. We'll get to see next week how he responds.

13. davidstvz

davidstvz New Member

You can only get away with calling the Saints D run of the mill because yours is the best.

Even not moving could be considered baiting the QB. The idea is to make him feel like it's safe to make the throw, and then you go grab the ball. Sharper is the active League leader in interceptions and 10th all time (for now). He's second all-time for picks returned for TDs. I wouldn't blame that all on Sanchez.

14. abyzmul

You're right, I am not giving enough credit to the Saints' defense, they impressed me yesterday. They are not a shut-down D like the Jets are turning into, but having balance like that with a very good pass rush and a crazy offense like Brees runs will have them competing far into the post-season if they can keep it going.

It was a good game yesterday, and the better team won.

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

The good news is, Darren Sharper is pretty much the best in the NFL at doing this stuff. It's how he's managed to keep playing so long in a position that usually requires youth & speed; he is an INT machine. So, although it will happen to Sanchez again, i don't think there will be any player/defense that will be able to exploit this as much as Sharper can.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

It was also a bad route combination. There were two issues here that fall squarely on the Coaching staff.

One....Sanchez should have been checking off on the Safety all game long...

Two....Kellers outside route and the WR's inside route were 5 feet apart as they approached the goal line.

Sharper did not even have to choose who to defend, they both ran right next to him, on either side.

17. davidstvz

davidstvz New Member

Another quote from Sharper: "Sharper was somewhat more diplomatic, saying, "I wouldn't say he eyed his receivers, but at certain times all quarterbacks know where they're going with the football. He did a job of trying to look off guys, but you can use reverse psychology when they try to look you off and then go the opposite way." (from a sports illustrated article that I can't like to because the forum admins are incredibly paranoid).

Sanchez will learn from this game. The first thing to learn is RELAX and don't force anything. Let your D bail you out repeatedly if necessary.

18. abyzmul

That play was so bad, it almost looked like blown assignments. Either that, of Schotty lets his retarded cousin design a certain section of his playbook with crayons.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, but not only that, the wideout did not have position on the cb, and had no chance on the ball even if Sharper had not intercepted it.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That play was just horrible, there was nothing there if anything it kinda looked like he had Cotchery over the middle but really he should have just checked it down or thrown it away