Crunching the numbers: Week 4 Special Teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Sep 30, 2009.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Sorry to make a post not about the offensive line and running game struggling but I thought this was worth mentioning.

The Jets special teams units got a lot of praise last week causing two turnovers against the Titans and was a big factor in getting the win. Some numbers of note:

Steve Weatherford: 25th in the league with a net punt of 37.7 yards but 2nd in the league by allowing only 3.8 yards per return. Combined with getting his punts inside the 20 only 22.2% of the time, you can expect some shorter punts but preventing big plays out of New Orleans punt return team. Reggie Bush has returned every punt for New Orleans and is averaging only 2.8 yards per return but if he's healthy he's liable to take it back every time.

On the flip side, New Orleans punter Thomas Morestead is 12th in the league with a net punt of 40.6 yards but has allowed 8.4 yards per return. This seems like it would mean he's going to kick it deep and Leonard will have a chance to make a play or two, assuming we get New Orleans to actually punt.

Morstead also does New Orleans kickoffs. He average kick lands on the 4 yard line and teams have an average of a 26.5 yard return, resulting in teams starting around the 30. With the Jets kick return unit and Leon Washington, it would be a big boost to the team to start with good field position and possibly even get a quick score.

Jay Feely: 5/5 on field goals. I still don't have a ton of trust in him but he has done everything you can ask for. He's averaging a kickoff of 69.6 yards so putting it right on the goaline and an average return of 21.6 yards, so opposing teams are getting the ball at the 22 on average. Robert Meachem returns kicks for New Orleans and has been averaging a respectable 24.7 yards per return, good for 12th in the league.

Bottom line is if Drew Brees had to go 120 yards with that offense more than likely he's going to score, let alone if you give him a short field. The Jets need to take advantage of having one of the better units in the league, just like they did last week. The Jets defense versus the Saints offense is going to get all the publicity, but from looking at the numbers it seems like the special teams would be able to take some pressure off the defense and make life easier for them.

2. ........

........ Trolls

I've gotta say, the numbers on Weatherford are a bit surprising. It seemed to me like he was punting a lot better than Hodges last season, but the numbers sure don't bear that out.

That's fantastic news about KOs for the Saints. The Bills have a good return game, McKelvin screwup notwithstanding, so that may bump the numbers up a bit. However, I think we stand a good chance of Leon giving us midfield starting position on a couple of kicks.

Great post.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i love new, fresh analysis. Good thread.

Special Teams has always been a factor with the Jets success since Westhoff has been here.

If the Jets can win this battle, it will help with containing Brees and that offense.

4. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I've been watching Weatherford clsoely. We need an upgrade. His punts are short, he's terrible at pinning inside the 20, and his most important punt of the season (the last one this past week) was a terrible shank.

5. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

I wish we had Ben Graham back. He is averaging like 50 yards on his punts

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't know why this board wanted his head chopped off, let aside cut him. Anything in the 40s is a decent avg and Ben wasn't too bad. I think its time we take the best punter next yr, even if we have to draft one in the 6th or 7th round.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ considering the 7th and 6th rounds have tons of players who get cut in 3 years anyway, why not spend the pick on a guy who may last 10 years. who cares if you pay him 200k more.

8. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Agreed completely

9. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Feeley has made what 20 straight kicks? What will it take to trust him?

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its a weird feeling I have too. I just can't look at Feely and think "oh look 3 pts"

It has to do with some of the BS he's pulled during his career with other teams.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yup, exactly my point. They are crapshoot anyways. Thats not to say the drafted punter would last 10 years either, but surely there has to be a college punter who can average mid 40s, no?

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Feely just posted his young brother averages 45yds per punt and is entering college... screw college, get him in here :p

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Don't know why we got rid of him in the first place. No one after him has been any better.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, the problem is that it's still no guarantee. One of the best punters of all time in college, Ryan Plackemeier, came out a few years back, did jack shit in the NFL, and was gone by last season.

Still, there's a guy out of Virginia Tech that looks promising. We have slightly more specific needs for a punter. I'd want someone who is used to kicking in adverse conditions.

15. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

Yeah look at Mike Nugent. Easily the best kicker prospect that year and look how he turned out...

From Wiki:

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Weatherford's averaged 42.5 to 43.0 Yds a punt every year in his career but so far this year just over 40.0 Not bad and i like him better then Hodges. Despite hodges out punting him sunday.

17. Tennessee Saint

Tennessee Saint New Member

Weatherford is meh. His hang times arent very impressive but he does have his good moments. I was not upset when we got rid of him. The fact that the Jets are allowing 3.8 per return is more of a testament to punt coverage than it is Weatherford's kicking.

18. Quack

Quack New Member

I think that it's both. His punts are even shorter than usual because he is working on his hang time which makes the Jets' coverage look even better than it is. Basically a "we're giving you five yards and you're not getting anything more" kind of thing.

19. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

So lets see ... the 12th place punter is "netting" 32.2 yds per punt ( 40.6 - 8.4 ) and our 25th place punter is "netting" 33.9 yds per punt ( 37.7 - 3.8 ) ... I think I'll stick with our 25th ranked punter ... Until we can find someone who can net 40 yds per punt ...

5/5 and 20 straight for Feely ... Pretty hard to argue with those numbers ... Trust or Not ... He has been money lately, even going back into last season

#19 DMSMaven, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I'll have to go back and look at the numbers more carefully but I think net is accounting for the return, ie Weatherford averages his punts going 41.5 yards but gives up an average return of 3.8 yards, resulting in a net of 37.7.

And I'll be the first to admit Feely has done nothing this year and the end of last year to deserve a lack of faith. I just can't get the image of him walking off the field with his gloves on and head down in disappointment out of my head.