Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stugots, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Here is the part that is hard to understand. Why have they activated him the past two weeks and then not use him. My guess is that they want to try him out but only if we get a big lead or fall far behind first.

2. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I'll say this about Greene though...He subs in nice for me in Madden...he always falls forward for some extra yards, Just has no speed, No hands

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I just read in the Star-Ledger this morning that "Ryan said he has no plans to bring in Shonn Greene for Sundays game." So who the hell knows what's going on. Whatever it is, it's under wraps.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

You've been hangin' with Cummings, haven't you?

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Hutch is going by what Rex said yesterday in that press conference, I don't see how he could come to that conclusion.

6. Don

If that's the case I hope he isn't active..they could use something other than a bench warmer.

7. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

It's hard to pin it all on Thomas Jones, because the offensive line play has been uneven, but he may be in the midst of a severe decline. I think Ryan is going to wait until that's absolutely apparent before he starts taking carries from Jones and giving him to Greene.

That said, it's a bit ridiculous to give up that much for a guy on draft day and then bury him on the bench. At some point, the kids got to play.

-X-

8. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, there definitely seem to be conflicting reports. I read what Ryan said at the press conference and now below, this is what Hutchinson reported this morning. My quote above is me paraphrasing and is not actually what Hutch said, so here is the actual newspaper article and I've boldened Hutchinson's take on Ryan concerning Shonn Greene's play:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/09/ny_jets_david_clowney_responds.html

NY Jets' David Clowney Responds Humbly To Benching Against Titans After Twitter Post About Playing Time

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger
    September 28, 2009, 10:41PM

Jets coach Rex Ryan says David Clowney, above, is 'too talented, too athletic, too fast, not to be a guy that we can count on down after down.'NOTEBOOK

Turns out NFL head coaches read Twitter, too.

That’s what Jets wide receiver David Clowney found out last week when coach Rex Ryan revealed Monday that he made Clowney inactive for Sunday’s 24-17 victory over the Titans after reading his Twitter post following the Patriots game in Week 2.

Clowney, an avid tweeter, wrote, ‘‘1 play in the 1st Half, 4 plays in the second half ... a bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win.’’

Clowney added, ‘‘My team always comes first so I’ma just keep grinding.’’

That didn’t sit well with Ryan and he called Clowney into his office early in the week and told him so. He also informed Clowney he would be inactive for the Titans game.

‘‘I was upset with him,’’ Ryan said Monday. ‘‘To me, it’s about our team. No individual is bigger than the team. That’s it. If I feel a guy isn’t putting the team first, then I’ll make that decision to put the guy down. It’s not head games, it’s just the way I feel.

‘‘That was my decision. Nobody else’s. I wanted to see how David would respond. He was phenomenal this week in preparation. He humbled himself. He did it. He’s got no business not being up. He’s too talented, too athletic, too fast, not to be a guy that we can count on down after down.’’

Clowney, a speedster, had seven catches for 243 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason and it was a mystery why he was inactive.

The second-year pro out of Virginia Tech, who missed most of last season with a broken collarbone, has just one career catch for 26 yards. ?…

QB Mark Sanchez won’t be taking off on any daring, shoulder-lowering touchdown runs again anytime soon. Ryan said he, the coaching staff and teammates have talked to the rookie about the hazards of his 14-yard touchdown run against the Titans in which he lowered his shoulder and bowled over Titans safety Michael Griffin at the goal line.

“We’ve got to be smart there,” Ryan said. “He does need to realize that he’s got to take care of his body through the long haul.’’

Ryan added the team will devise some type of wet-ball drills to help Sanchez hold onto the ball when he plays in the rain. He fumbled twice. Overall, Ryan is concerned about ball-security issues with the quarterback. He has four fumbles this season and lost one. ?…

Ryan said he hopes to have CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (ankle) back for the Saints game on Sunday and there are no immediate plans to sign a cornerback to add depth with the pass-happy Saints. The Jets worked out CBs Corey Ivy and former Jet Justin Miller last week.

Ryan vowed to stick with the running game, saying you have to keep pounding and pounding. Although the Jets had just 83 yards on 31 carries (2.7-yard average vs. the Titans), Ryan said he has no plans right now to use rookie Shonn Greene to bring some fresh legs into the mix.

Ryan said S Eric Smith, who had an interception, a pass defensed, four tackles and two more tackles on special teams against the Titans, has been outstanding this season. He said he used Smith to spy on Titans RB Chris Johnson, cover the tight end, play linebacker and play deep safety among other things on Sunday.

“He’s so valuable to us,” said Ryan, who admitted he didn’t think much of Smith as a player following the team’s first minicamp and he was more than happy to trade him at that time. “There are so many things you can do with him. This is a sharp guy.”

DT Kris Jenkins, who had four tackles for losses vs. the Titans, continues to amaze Ryan at 6-4, 360 pounds.

“I knew he had a good game but wow, he had a dominant game,” Ryan said after watching the film. “I know you guys saw it last year but to see it up close."

LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson will have a street named after him in his hometown of Freeport, N.Y. It’s to be called D’Brickashaw Ferguson Avenue

9. Section 227. Row 5

Not to get off-topic in this thead, but the Clowney Twitter thing in the above article is interesting. It looks like Clowney might have learned a lesson and has been humbled by Ryan, but that he'll get a chance to play this weekend. Could Ryan have been sending a message concerning Tweeting to the rest of the team as well?

10. Don

This was the best thing I pulled from that article.

"Ryan said he hopes to have CBs Lito Sheppard (quad) and Donald Strickland (ankle) back for the Saints game on Sunday and there are no immediate plans to sign a cornerback to add depth with the pass-happy Saints. The Jets worked out CBs Corey Ivy and former Jet Justin Miller last week."

11. abyzmul

Hehe, I heard Hutch ask about 'Corey and Justin' visiting the team yesterday and I was praying he wasn't talking about Miller.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, I was glad to read that too. Justin Miller, to me, shouldn't be an option unless we get really desperate... Ty Law-type of desperation, so having these two guys healthy (or almost so) is a huge plus.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i think it has nothing to do with tweeting and the fact he openly bitched about his playing time.

sitting him for that game is a character test if anything.

makes more sense now. i bet he at least sees some decent action. especially if we start hitting cotch and keller early to put a one on one for clowney and a nickelback.

14. abyzmul

I was wondering if that was what you were referring to. It seemed like Hutch was just trying to fish some sort of statement about Greene in that presser, because he asked 3 or 4 questions about him. Hutch asked directly if they were going to bring Greene in to keep TJ and Leon's legs fresh, and Ryan was pretty mum about it. That line of the article is pushing it, Ryan never really stated that they did or did not have plans for SG this weekend.

15. Section 227. Row 5

"Ryan vowed to stick with the running game, saying you have to keep pounding and pounding. Although the Jets had just 83 yards on 31 carries (2.7-yard average vs. the Titans), Ryan said he has no plans right now to use rookie Shonn Greene to bring some fresh legs into the mix."

Getting back on topic, Greene might still notl be 100%. I can't think of any other reasons for Ryan to not break the ice with him this weekend. And I'm not talking about taking touches away from Leon, I'm talking about sharing touches with Jones.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Oh, okay. You heard the presser and I'll go with what your take was. So it appears Hutch may be taking more from Ryan's statements than he should have or is embellishing. That's surprising to me, since Hutch is pretty reliable, but again, you heard the presser and I'll go with that.

Ryan might be keeping this low key on purpose too. If we bring in an explosive Shonn Greene at the last minute on Sunday, the Saints have more to worry about at the LOS. They're already planning on shutting down the run and us averaging 2 YPC. Bringing in Greene gives them something else to be concerned about and gives everybody else, including Clowney, a better shot.

17. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Are you serious?

You know Jones was one of the 5 best backs in the league last season right? You don't even know what we have in Greene yet.

18. ........

........ Trolls

No, but we need to find out. Jones isn't going to be a Jet next season. We need to start giving Greene a few carries per game to work him into the offense before he gets tossed into a committee role next season.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Running backs lose it quick in this league, he looks like he lost a step, Leon needs to touch the ball more...Leon keeps getting positive yardage on every carry, where Jones loses or barely gets back to the line of scrimmage, did the same thing in the Texans game...

20. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

All the press conferences are posted on nyjets.com if you are ever interested in hearing them. They have really been doing a good job with nyjets.com this season and post a lot of media on a daily basis