Saints -6 1/2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaybny, Sep 27, 2009.

1. thebrickwall423

thebrickwall423 New Member

the gm will be tough and i think unless shepperd and strickland are 100% we are in big trouble. the thing that won us the gm against ne was our secondary's play one on one we cant blitz if our corners gettin beat which will be the case if drew coleman is out there.

2. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Interesting spread. I don't see how the public stays away from a 3-0 team almost a touchdown favorite...The spread will change. I guess the logic is that if the Saints win, it will probably be by a touchdown at least.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sheppard missed more than half that game and Strickland missed part of it too. What won the game was the 23 pressures on Brady. That is what will win the NO game too. Tennessee knew Ryan's defense inside and out, they have played against it a lot. NO doesn't have that advantage.

4. The_W

The_W Banned

I agree with you, and that's why this worries me as they've gotten solid contributions by the likes of Mike Bell, who has been quite a non-factor in the league, counting out his rookie season in Denver back in 2006.

This is true as we saw in week 2 vs the Pats, but I think we can get burned pretty badly by this a couple of times if they decide to go with a quick screen play or a shovel pass, especially if Reggie Bush is in the receiving end.

All in all, I totally believe in this team and believe that we will beat the Saints at NO this Sunday.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That spread will come down as they always seem to. I'm thinking this road game may will be another test of VonRyan's team as not only are they on the road, they're big road dogs as well and with the ever expanding pride of this team, that just might not sit well with them.

The upside is that Sanchez will get a look at another Elite, Veteran QB and learn something hopefully.

6. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Saints fan here. It nice to be on a board that doens't have a word filter, so I'd just like to start off by saying "WHAT THE FUCK?!?" :wink:

There, that was fun...

You guys have a hell of a team and this is going to be one of the premiere games so far this season.

I can't figure out how to direct quote on this board, but I'd like to address a couple things I've read. First, the Saints defense is better than Tennessee's so far, not the other way around. They are number one against the run, and lead the league in takeaways at 7 and are tied form most INT's at 6. I don't think your running game is going to come easy. If you establish a good running game, take pride in that you did it against the best run D. Saints D is vastly improved over our crappy defense from the last many years. As far as the pass D, our corners and safeties are vastly improved. They were our weakest link last year, and they can compete now. We jettisoned the guys who sucked (Jason David and Josh Bullocks). Note that a lot of the passing yards by Detroit and Philly were when the Saints were playing prevent with the game well in hand with a huge lead. The stats are a bit misleading. I'm not saying we have the best pass defense, just that they are competitive.

As far as rattling Brees, he has the quickest release in the league, and he actually torches teams more when they are blitzing. Of course collapsing the pocket is a whole nother ball game. If the Jets can do that, hats off to you.

I read someone call the Saints a one trick pony. I assume that was an uninformed poster, and that the majority of you know better. The reason the Saints are averaging 40 points/game is because they have so many offensive weapons. Colston is only one of them. With a receiving corps that is the deepest in the league, watch deep threats Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem, and (injured) Lance Moore who reminds me a lot of Chrebet (undersized, but with great hands in tight places).

Reggie Bush is not our featured RB. Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Lynell Hamilton are every down backs, any one of whom can post 100 yard games. Bell and Thomas already have, Hamilton as come close in limited duty. Bush is more used as a feature back, runs reverses and screens, lines up as a receiver, and is a real distraction for opposing defenses. The Saints try to get him with the ball in the open field. He has some bad habits that make him of limited use trying to run between the tackles. Against the Bills, Pierre Thomas, who had the flu and was receiving IV's pre-game for dehydration, lead the league in rushing last Sunday with 128 yards in only 14 carries, all in the second half. Also, watch FB Heath Evans. Brees has thrown TD passes to him in both of the first two games. Then you have Shockey as a TE who is finally healthy and producing. If you haven't seen the Saints, you will know what I am talking about. I'm not bragging blindly, I am just saying the Saints offensive talent at the skills positions is sick they are so deep. You can't cover all of them. When the passing game was stifled by the Bills, the Saints prevailed with a running game the Bills could not stop. Most of you are not aware, the Saints won with a stout D and a strong running game. That just shows how veratile the Saints offense is.

Our starting LT is out, and Bushrod has had mixed results filling for him and Zack Strief will be helping out there. Watch Shockey drop back and help protect Brees if you are getting success there, That will limit targets Brees can throw to. THE Saints have protected Brees pretty well so far. I hope that continues. Brees is so talented and so on his game right now, we are in trouble if he goes down. He has a lot to do with our offensive success. Brunell cannot come close to doing what Brees can do.

I have no idea if this is going to be a high scoring game or a low scoring game. Its going to be a great matchup. I don't know the Jets very well, since I haven't been able to watch them. I knew them a lot better when I lived in NY in the 90's. I'll be learning more about them by reading this board.

If you are traveling to NOLA for the game, you are in for a great time.

Cheers. :beer:

7. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Best offense vs best defense. Who will win?

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

nice post, bud.

and welcome to the board.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Nice post, smack. although i'm still pretty new here, i welcome you.

You just gotta love what an undefeated match-up brings out in the fans. It's only Monday! so great.

10. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Thanks for the welcomes. Oops. I mis-spoke. Reading too many stats today. Saints are #5 against the run, but lead the league in rushing right now.

Think about that. Our D doesn't suck anymore. ANd most people think we are a pass only team. We have a great passing game, yet we lead the league in rushing.

Saints are the highest scoring team with the #1 offense, Jets are second in the league in defense ppg. Perfect matchup.

#50 Saint Smack, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Jests? Don't troll. Take that shit to the trash talking forum.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

dude they're #5 against the run because of the 20 point leads they grabbed early against detroit and philly.not to mention it was detroit and a mcnabbless philly.i promise you the jets blow that #5 ranking out of the water this sunday

13. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Sorry. That was a typo.

That's like me saying the Saints are going to hang 40 more points on someone this Sunday. They do it pretty easily. Oh, the Saints grabbed 20 point leads, therefore they still suck.

I won't guarantee the Saints will score at will, as they have all through preseason and the regular season, but there's no way you can guarantee the Saints will suddenly not defend the run.

#53 Saint Smack, Sep 28, 2009
  14. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

In all fairness, Buffalo, who has one of the worst lines in the AFC, ran for 4.2 YPC against you guys.

15. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

In all fairness, the Saints are still better against the run than the Jets. Saints ranked 5th, Jets ranked 9th. Both are top ten.

16. firemanedjr

The Jets have gone up against Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson, and New England, who's passing game is so good you can't stack the box. You've faced Detroit, a McNabb-less Eagles team, and Buffalo without Lynch. I'll take our 9 over your 5 any day.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you're #5 ranking is a mirage...based on the teams you've faced thus far.

Also...I'd like to add this tidbit...the Saints haven't faced a 3-4 defense yet this year.....

18. Saint Smack

Saint Smack New Member

Is the 40 ppg a mirage too? If you think so, I think you guys are in for a rude awakening Sunday. BTW, Philly ranked 6th overall total defense and 6th overall total offense.

#58 Saint Smack, Sep 28, 2009
  19. firemanedjr

Nope, the offense is for real. The defense, it isn't.

20. Puddinhead

Puddinhead New Member

"We will be blitzing them a lot more then we did yesterday."

Through the first two games (which this stat is available for)...
    Courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information, here?s what Brees has done in situations where defenses have sent at least one extra pass-rusher:
    Comp Att Yds. Avg. Long TD Int Sacked Sack Yds Rating
    11 15 206 13.7 58 2 0 1 -14 154.9