Notes from Rex's 9/28 presser

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 28, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

- Promoted the www.jointhejets.com website - a fan can lead the team onto the field if they win

- Jenks, E. Smith, Harris, J-Co, Brick, Trusnick and Izzo all got game balls

- They gave Jay Feely a chance to do a directional kick of his choice and that's when he kicked KO out of bounds

- Still saying that stopping the run and running the ball will be team's identity

- Shonn Greene - again says it's a 'little disappointing' that they weren't able to get him any touches this week - 'hopefully we can get him some touches'
    using the '2 pro bowlers in front of him' excuse - 'nothing was promised to him' - 'has outstanding ability'

- Sheppard and Strickland - they are both 'way better this week than they were last week at this time' - too early to tell but sounds promising that they will be back for the NO game

- Eric Smith - Rex spoke for a long time about Smith - says he's extremely valuable, can play anywhere - LB, CB, SS - was down on him after OTAs, would have happily traded him at that point - Smith learned the D quickly and he starts in a lot of packages - 'knows the defense'

- Rex likes David Clowney a lot

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cool. :up:

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

If T.Jones doesn't run hard against the Saints porous Run D this week....I'm hoping Green gets a look as a result.

And I mean....i want to see TJ's legs churning, trying to move the pile......not his patented nosedives into the turf after contact.

this is excellent news

And you know what...it shows on the field....E.Smith has defenitly flourished in Rex's defense (as compared to last year)....he's made some great plays in run support and in the Pass D.

who?

4. abyzmul

The Greene part of the presser was the part I had the most trouble with. He basically was making the excuse that the guys ahead of him are making plays and they just couldn't fit him into the lineup. That's a copout. TJ was definitely not making much for plays against the Titans. He almost wasn't even trying.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good notes, man. Thanks.

Feely's kick out of bounds was definitely a no-no. I'm sure he knows that. Otherwise, you gotta love the guy and he's entitled.

If running the ball is the "team's identity," then let's do it.

Shonn Greene? Get him out there, Rex!

Glad to hear Sheppard and Strickland are coming along.... need them both.

Maybe my opinions about Eric Smith have to change, based on Ryan's high opinion of him.

David Clowney is the man. If nothing else, we've got depth at WR.

6. Section 227. Row 5

I'd have had trouble with that too.

7. abyzmul

I couldn't stand Eric Smith while Mangini was here. I guess it could have been the rigid roles of that defense he was trying to run, but Smith seemed to be out of place all the time.

When I was breaking down some of Gholston's plays during the offseason, I started noticing the ways they were using Smith. Nickel linebacker, safety and LB at the line in the 3-4/46 shifting hybrid, they even had him line up as a corner a couple of times in the dime. He was everywhere.

And I don't think he has disappointed. He flies at the ball, he has chosen the wrong gap to shoot on a couple of blitzes but I think he's learning quickly because I haven't really noticed any mistakes from him.

It's encouraging.

#7 abyzmul, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The E-Smith stuff is very interesting. He really is showing a nose for the action. Still, cornerback is a stretch, Rex. lol.

This will sound trite, but ES just seems to be moving with more purpose, more confidence. To think how close he was to the chopping block, and now he's really making something of himself. Nice.

(whoops, took me a while to post, and everyone already said what i said. my bad!)

#8 twown, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah..i'm with you there.

I created a thread after the game that brought up this point. When i look at our 2 runningbacks....I see Leon scratching, clawing, and fighting for every inch of the football field....he's putting in maximum effort. The guy is turning in what should be "4 or 5 yard carries" into 10 yard first down conversions.

I'm seeing the exact opposite from Jones.....unless the oline creates a fucking Lincoln tunnel for him up one of the gaps.....he's crumbles after first contact.

Other posters used the argument that we played against a stout run D on Sunday...and they were right. But I still didn't see any REAL effort from Jones.....not like what Leon was giving...not even close.

here's the thread link:

[thread]48897[/thread]

10. Section 227. Row 5

He certainly came up big on STs on Sunday with that KO fumble and I've noticed him around the ball more since the season started, so he's doing a lot of things right and he's truly the athlete we thought he'd be. I had my doubts and maybe still harbor a few, but I'm now realizing that he's every bit as versatile as expected and he's definitely a keeper now. With rosters so limited the way they are now, you've got to keep a guy like this.

We're playing against teams with Wildcat formations and all kinds of other BS nowadays, so you need a guy like Smith. Probably the only legacy that Mangini left behind that I've become attached to.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

or it was a tight game in which they had already turned the ball over twice and the defense scuffling a little.now do you want to hand the rock to a pro bowl 7 year vet who ffumbles very rarely or a rookie seeing his first game action in the rain?

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i wonder what the truth is with Greene, but I don't want to make any hypothesises yet.

E.S. is doing fine by me - i think his intelligence is what helps in this system the most. He could have gone to yale on his smarts alone.

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Mangini was a dork. He not only did not let players say what they felt, he did not want them feeling what they felt. Rex lets guys be who they are, and they then have no trouble buying in. There does not seem to be a lot of pressure on these guys, so they are happy to get each other's backs. Smith does not seem to be a second late to the ball every play. Maybe he has a few less options to think about every play.

14. abyzmul

That's a decent point and probably the best I've seen in the case of Greene not coming in, but while he was never known in college for blocking or receiving out of the backfield, the one thing that I've read about him is that his ball security is excellent.

15. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

ES is the cover LB'er that we have been missing. TE's aren't such a mismatch against us anymore.

16. Tennessee Saint

Tennessee Saint New Member

5th ranked against the run is porous? orly.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

doesn't that piis you off.it seems so simple, we don't have a lb that can run with a te put in an extra safety.how come noone thought of that last year when the t.e. was liting us up?

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

playing the Lions, Bills, and a McNabb-less Eagles team doesn't instill my confidence in your run D.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

20. Tennessee Saint

Tennessee Saint New Member

I didn't realize Kevin Smith, Brian Westbrook, and Fred Jackson were such poor RBs. What's McNabb got to do with it? -_-