containing the saints

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Sep 27, 2009.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't know about kicking the shit out of Jenkins? I think that might take more than 4 quarters and you better not have a septic system if your planning on flushing that load at some point.

2. Tolan

Tolan New Member

Stats don't mean a thing, were coming off a week where the Lions beat the Redskins and the Bengals beat the Steelers. Im pretty sure the "Stats" before those games had a blowout predicted too, you cant always believe the tale of the tape. I just cant wait to see if Brees is actually human this coming sunday!

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

word i heard this same stuff before the pats game

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

good discussions and some of the more pleasant opposing fans to come here.

I simply dont see the saints having an effective ground game on us. Therefore, I think the question will simply be can we stop Brees when it matters?

the Saints have a good DL but Shanle is liable to get torched on intermediate routes by Keller.

I will say though, Ive always thought Darren Sharper was one of the most underrated players on D of the last decade. great pickup for the Saints they lacked leadership in the defensive backfield last year. cant argue a league leading 57 INT's amongst active players.

something that could make all discussion null and void for me is if our OL shows up to run block.

if we can get the ground game going anything over a 4 YPC avg I see us eating clock and limiting Brees effectiveness.

which is appearing very hard so far. ive yet to see teams pressure brees consistently this year.

so one of my original points, can we stop Brees when it matters? He'll make a few good plays here and there but I dont expect either team to score over 30 points.

either way I expect a hell of a game, I just hope they dont abandon the run game if we get down or seem ineffective in the 1st half. i truly believe we can wear them down in the second half and keep Brees off the field.

then again when your facing a team with the offense as the saints. the "we scored too quick" cliche can be proven true if you get a quick score and put the ball back in brees hands.

we will see. gonna be a hell of a game.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is a very good post and I want to clarify something - just because I think the Jets are a good matchup for the Saints doesn't mean I think the Saints are a bad team - I definitely think the Saints are amongst the best in the league.

I think the Jets match up well vs. the Saints because the Jets specialty is getting to the quarterback on defense. It seems a lot of Saints fans believe that Revis shutting down a WR is a non-factor because of the talent at the other WR spots. Normally I would agree, but under these circumstances and the way that the Jets play defense, they're going to worry more about smacking around Brees then they're going to be about shutting down the Saints receivers. Having Revis is a bonus for us, but he's not the reason the Jets D will be able to give the Saints fits... the reason is that Brees is going to get roughed up all game long...

I don't care what QB it is... take the best QB in the entire league... if they get hit often enough, then they're going to make mistakes. Now granted, the Saints OL could come out and play as good a game as the Titans did against us this past Sunday... and if that happens then I think it will be a long day for the Jets. However, at the end of the day... what drives the Jets entire team is QB pressure... we get pressure, and the Saints will be largely neutralized.

6. bclemms

bclemms New Member

I agree completely and can't argue that if you guys get to Brees then it wont matter. Problem is Brees has been sacked 17 times in his last 19 games, most of those have come from backside pressure from a DE. Our line is good at picking up the blitz and Brees is as good as it gets recognizing it pre-snap. It is easy to say we'll just hit Brees and rattle him but actually doing it is pretty difficult. Granted, our pro bowl LT is out until week 8 but considering Gholston and Douglas have combined for 0 sacks in the last two seasons the right side of the Jets line isn't going to beat the Saints.

7. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about these Saint fans coming in and acting classy and giving props to the Jets. I'm going to go make an anti-Raiders post in the NFL forum to make myself feel better.

The key is going to be the first quarter. You can't spend the day playing catch-up. Getting the ball first, having a long, sustained drive the results in a score and hopefully quiets the crowd a bit would be the best case scenario to start the game.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're looking at the Jets D the wrong the way.

The job of the defensive line in this scheme is to create penetration at the point of attack and to force the QB / HB to move into very specific pockets/zones. Once that happens, it's the linebackers and safeties jobs to come flying through an opening around that area and blast the QB.

Most of the Jets sacks / QB hits are going to come from David Harris and Bart Scott, with some good pressure also coming from Bryan Thomas and Jim Leonhard. The D-Line is going to manipulate the opposing offense into getting someplace where the guys I named can make the play.

Gholston was drafted to be a pass rusher for the Jets but to be completely honest, he's been nothing more than a big bust. It's clear that he's incapable of playing linebacker as he's always lost when standing up, so he's been moved back to the defensive line and is used when the Jets have 4 or 5 down linemen. Other than that, Gholston typically doesn't see the field.

I think this game more than any we've played so far is going to be the game where the Jets miss having Calvin Pace, because he's probably the best pass rusher on this team.

9. realitybias

realitybias New Member

Don't forget about our excellent blitz pickup backfield. One highly under-rated aspect of Reggie is that he's GREAT at blitz pickups.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, but going against a Ryan defense is unlike anything you have ever done. You can watch film all day long and he will still have different looks when the game is being played. The only reason Tennessee did as well as they did is because they have seen his teams a lot.

11. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

Watching some of the Saints highlights it appears that their big plays happen with receivers are allowed to run free. They get wide open in either soft zone coverages, or blown coverages, or Brees getting 5 seconds or more in the pocket. Those things aren't likey to happen too ofen against the Jets defense. The Jets secondary has been great with tight secondary coverage in all three games, and everyone is aware of the kind of pressure they have been putting on QB's this season. Kerry Collins had some success throwing the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday because he was throwing absolute bullets with great accuracy right to his receivers, who were pretty well covered. In the 4th quarter Collins accuracy faded a bit and wasn't able to complete anything. Drew Brees is a much different quaterback. Brees is extremely accurate but doesn't have the kind of arm strenght to fit the ball into tight coverages. As Jet fans we know what happens when you have a quarterback like that. Brees clearly is much better than Chad Pennington, but they are similar. I expect this to be a great game, and for the Saints to win they must be able to run the ball effectively. The passing game they enjoyed against the Lions and against the Eagles isn't going to be there against the Jets. For the Jets, they need Sanchez to be more consistent in the passing game. They need Sanchez to make to make some completions on 1st and 2nd downs early to open up the running game, and then he needs to be consistent with that into the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

This is a non conference away game that would be as benign a loss as the Jets could have this year. But I do like the Jets changes in this one, and it is a good opportunity to complete against another high powered offense.

12. bclemms

bclemms New Member

I'm not looking at it the wrong way, just saying how most of the sacks on brees have occured over the past two seasons. The blitz rarely is what sacks him.

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I don't feel threatened, if I did I'd go to a rival board and start flaunting my cock to people who don't give a shit about what I have to say.

14. Tolan

Tolan New Member

Honestly I think Kris Jenkins,David Harris and Bart Scott will be too much for the saints interior linemen

15. realitybias

realitybias New Member

Woah now, chill dude. We've been more than respectful in your forum. Most of your fellow fans have been respectful in return.

16. realitybias

realitybias New Member

You know, you SAY there won't be open receivers, but we've got at least 5 receivers that can get open on starting corners. when 3 or 4 are on the field at the same time with Reggie there to draw people away, well, there are only so many people you can cover. This is especially true when sending extra rushers. Brees is one of the fastest readers of a defense in the NFL.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

And yet when we played the patsies Cindy played very poorly but we didn't sack him one time. Sacks are not the be all and end all of QB pressure.

I don't think Rex cares if we sack Brees every play or not, but hitting him each time he throws? That is the goal. Off balance throws, throwing without complete vision of the backfield, etc. It is about the fear, not the sack.

18. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Rex's defense is based around how much confusion he can cause in the opposition QB's mind at the line of scrimmage.

In many ways this game will be strength vs strength. This should be a great test for an up and coming Jets team.

The Jets certainly have less to lose then the 'Aints. If Rex can get them to relax and come out frothing at the mouths it should be fun to watch our D. If the Jets come out flat after 3 big wins in a row, well the game will be over early.

19. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Some fun stats regarding each team.

NO has put the ball on the rug 6 times so far, with 2 Ints matching the Jets.

NO scores 40 ppg with the Jets at 21.3.

NO has a 2.8 yard per punt return average as compared to the Jets 13.8. NO has a 40.6 net yards per punt average as compared to the Jets 37.7. The Jets are approximately one standard deviation (3.7 yards per) better at KO returns.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The Saints offense seems similiar to the "Greatest show on Turf". I say Ryan can learn some things by looking at how (as much as we hate him) BB shut that type offense down in the SB.