Does anyone else fear a letdown on Sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets4EverOnTop, Sep 24, 2009.

1. kj1313

kj1313 New Member

The way we played after the 1st 2 games we should beat Tennessee, it's up to Rex & the rest of the coaches to make sure the players stay focused and come out on fire.

2. cassie96

cassie96 Member

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Bellycheat just admitted that Rex Ryan outcoached him. Plus, Bellycheat has been studying coaching since he was old enough to walk into his dad's coaching office at the Naval Academy....FOREVER!

Rex Ryan will have the team good to go. :jets:

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Damn, I'm aggrivated after reading this thread. It's like an avalanche of SOJ mentality! One person says they're worried and that they'd ACCEPT a loss, and everybody starts to slowly agree? I'm tired of people saying they expect us to lose. There's no reason this team can't go undefeated. If you're not gonna' ride with us, I heard the Pats are looking for fair weather fans.

4. cassie96

cassie96 Member

WHO needs the pressure to go undefeated....it is a total PIA.

We have a brand new QB, he is doing GREAT, and he does not deserve that kind of pressure.

Better to lose a few....AND bring home the Lombardi on February 7, 2010 in Miami. :)

#64 cassie96, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your definition of 'everybody' must differ from mine. Maybe I should start generalizing you until you actually red all the posts in a thread.

6. abyzmul

Heyyyyy, cassie, I was wondering where you went off to.

It's funny, the OP's last post in this thread was whining about not being able to start a serious thread and that was over 50 posts ago. Fart.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am very scared of this game, its human nature, we are 2-0 after beating our biggest rivalry and the Titans are 0-2. If we can win this game, we are for real

8. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Exactly. He's the key. As long as the Jets can prevent the Johnson big play, especially when we blitz so much - him coming out of the backfield.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I cannot see Rex allowing the team to be complacent.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Last year the Tits were favored, and the loss to the Jets knocked them off their pedestal, and was the beginning of what became a disappointing season for them. Remember how their fans were dissing the Jet win? And of course in fairness the Jets' own season soon after unwound even more than theirs did.

They're 0-2 right now, but I think many of their players remember very well the loss last year. It's extra incentive, imo. Does that mean they will win? Not for that alone, of course, but it is an additional factor.

11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Seems like we picked a decent week to be down a couple of guys in the secondary seeing as the Titans aren't a huge passing threat. Not sure how Lowery will do. I'm out of the prediction business, just gonna sit back and watch the game, we'll see what happens.

12. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Hey, I do fear a let down and said so earlier in the week. The main reason is The titans have a good team who has played well but has yet to win. Can we beat them? absolutely and I think we will but we need to play well to beat them. Just because this team is 0-2 does not mean we will walk over them. If that makes me a darksider fine!

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

If we beat them, people will question if we can truly beat the Saints. If we beat the Saints, people will look at the Dolphins game as the perfect trap game and so on.

How about we go into every game believing we're gonna win? That's what the team is doing. If you play scared to mess up, if you play not to lose the game, if you play too conservatively, if you play thinking this is a trap game...then guess what? You're gonna lose the game.

Key points why we won't lose this game:
    - We're home and I expect this crowd to just as loud as last week.
    - Haynesworth is gone, therefore their pass rush hasn't been as great, which in turn has caused their secondary to become exposed.
    - Our passing game is better than people think. If we can't run it, I'm totally confident that Schotty will tell Sanchez to let it fly.
    - Our D is better than last year. Jenkins ate Mawae up. Harris/Scott are going to be key and zone in on Chris Johnson on those screen plays, which I believe they're more than capable.
    - I'm not really worried about their offensive rushing attack.
    - I am a bit worried about our CB's. If we have to see Coleman out there on the field, I'm ALWAYS worried. Hopefully our pass rush will make him look decent in coverage.

As I said in another thread, we will win this game. It will be close at first, but our D will cause a couple of turnovers and we will be we begin to pull away.

14. abyzmul

Before the season started, I would have laughed at that idea. But after these first 2 games, I see no reason not to.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jets seem too quiet this week. Bullock has given them an opening and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i think they respond by beating the titans. last week was more about establishing an actual home field advantage in our stadium against a division rival who forgot what losing in the Meadowlands feels like.

and whatever they say im all for. I respect Bulluck as a player but he can go jerkoff master splinter with his Ninja Turtle lookin ass. hes in for a rude awakening.

17. turbodog

turbodog Member

I fear a Titans will win this week. They will show up to play, they have to. If the jets don't do the same and get complacent the jets are in trouble. If both teams show up the "any given sunday rule" is in effect.

18. abyzmul

Just because the team isn't talking shit through the media doesn't mean they are quiet.

Jets offensive line feels like it has something to prove against Titans

BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Alan Faneca laughed. Angry? No, he wouldn't say the Jets' offensive line is angry. But he acknowledged that he and his four linemates are - let's try to be classy - in a redemptive mood.

"Two's a trend," said the eight-time Pro Bowl guard, his way of predicting there won't be a two.

Two consecutive sub-par performances, he meant.

The Jets' line, hyped as one of the premier units in the NFL, was underwhelming in last Sunday's 16-9 victory over the Patriots. Faneca surrendered a strip sack on the first play, and it took into the third quarter, before the Jets cracked the 100-yard mark in total offense.

Surprisingly, Rex Ryan called out the line, publicly and behind closed doors. He wasn't mean-spirited, the players said, but he let them know he expects more from the group he calls "our best unit."

The offensive linemen didn't need Ryan's message to know the deal, but his words, coupled with their own strong sense of pride, have created an edginess this week as the Jets (2-0) prepare to face the Titans (0-2) Sunday at the Meadowlands.

Unfortunately, there are no trash talkers among the linemen - where's Kerry Rhodes when you need him? - but there's a palpable vibe of confidence.

"We're kind of like the quiet storm," tackle Damien Woody said.

Asked to make a brash declaration about the game, Woody smiled.

"Let's just say we plan on having a heck of a football game against Tennessee," he said.

Okay, that's not exactly worthy of a "Dismember the Titans!" headline, but it gives some insight into the line's mind-set. After months of build-up, the Jets absolutely believe they have an upper-echelon line. They have four former first-round draft picks (Faneca, Woody, Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and top run-blocker Brandon Moore.

Now it's proving time. It won't be easy because, despite the free-agent loss of Albert Haynesworth, the Titans still have a formidable front four. They have Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse at end, with Jason Jones and Tony Brown inside. The Titans are No.2 in run defense.

The Jets ran for 192 yards in last season's blowout win in Nashville, ending the Titans' perfect dream after a 10-0 start. Now they'd like to ruin the Titans' season in September. It's hard to bury a proud, desperate team, but the Jets' offensive line has its own motivation - greatness.

"We're trying to establish the mind-set that we're the best in the league," Woody said. "We don't want there to be any doubt about that. To reach that, we have to put it out there on tape and let everybody know."

You wouldn't know it by last week's tape, as the Jets' initial first down didn't come until 20 minutes into the game. They were caught off-guard by a wrinkle in the Patriots' game plan. They used a four-man line, with five defensive backs against the Jets' base offense. The Jets adjusted at halftime and moved the ball better, but they still left with a sense of underachievement.

"We hold ourselves to a high standard," Woody said. "Anything that's not to that standard, we consider it not good enough."

PRACTICE IMPERFECT: Ryan wasn't happy with Thursday's practice, especially on defense. He said there were "too many mistakes for my liking," raising a question: Are the Jets experiencing a post-Patriots letdown? CB Darrelle Revis said the practice was "a little sluggish." Asked if Ryan expressed anger, Revis said, "It didn't get that loud, but there were a couple of cuss words." ... Nickel CB Donald Strickland (ankle) is unlikely to play, according to Ryan. He's still hopeful that CB Lito Sheppard (quadriceps) will play. ... Titans FB Ahmard Hall ripped LB Bart Scott, telling The Tennessean: "I don't like the guy. He just runs his mouth all the time, even when he's not doing anything in the play. ... Ray Lewis is one of the best linebackers ever to play the game and he talks to his players, but he doesn't really talk too much. Bart Scott is talking to everybody - he's talking to fans, he's talking to whoever listens to him."

19. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I don't fear a letdown this week. If we lose we lose. Can't win 'em all. The important thing is that the team comes out ready to play every week and leaves it all on the field.

20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Me too. I was optimistically cautious as well. Tho, I honestly thought we'd go 7-2 into the Bye Week. Maybe I was soaking up too much Rex Ryan at the time. But I believed it. Now that we're 2-0, I'm more than sold. I (like Ryan) also believe this is an elite team. If Ryan thinks he can beat any team in this league, I'm with him.